Black Family Channel - Out Of The Loop

UAPB '97

U At a Party Baby!!!!
I just received an email from the VP of broadcast operations at the Black Family Channel.

Here is a copy of the email:

Unfortunately, we will not be carrying any live games this year. We are still in contract negotiations with the conferences. However we will continue airing past season game classic?s from all the conferences. We hope you will enjoy them and continue to support the network by your viewership.

Pat Hooks
v.p. of Broadcast Operations
Black Family Channel
800 Forrest Street
Atlanta, GA 30318
Ph: 404.350-2509 ext. 329
Fax: 404.350-0356

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well even thought the SWAC has signed the deal it still shouldn't prevent member schools from signing deals for games that are not slated to be televised.

What is ESPN's definition of 'exclusive'? If NBC and College Sports TV are also showing games, why can't BFC?? He did say they were in negotiations...

UAPB '97 said:
What is ESPN's definition of 'exclusive'? If NBC and College Sports TV are also showing games, why can't BFC?? He did say they were in negotiations...

"exclusive CABLE rights."

NBC is not a cable network. And CSTV is only showing SU games.

UAPB '97 said:

The article said exclusive CABLE rights so that excludes NBC.

Like SOG says, some schools probably still can negotiate their own deals with CSTV, MBC, if they like... but the conference has decided to only deal with ESPNU for football and basketball until 2012.

UAPB '97 said:
So what 'negotiations' is he talking about?

Who knows... "Negotiation" is often loosely used when you can't think of anything else to write. It surely sounds good, doesn't it.

Jag Voice said:
Who knows... "Negotiation" is often loosely used when you can't think of anything else to write. It surely sounds good, doesn't it.
True and it could mean that a contract won't be signed until some 5 years later of more.

Perhaps they are negotiating to show some of the classics.....

IMO "exclusive cable" only means they are allowed to show SWAC authorized games. Not they are the only one on cable that can show a SWAC game. :

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
IS ESPNU on cable or sat?
I work at DirecTV and I asked my supervisor about it yesterday... he stated as of now only DTV has rights to air the channel and it wont be on cable as of now... but in your local areas, your cable provider may be able to pick up local college games off the satellite... So for example AAMU games on ESPNU will likely be shown on Huntsville cable stations.

Although ESPNU is supposed to have "exclusive" cable rights to SWAC games, CSTV lists Alabama State vs. Southern (10/1), Jackson State vs. Southern (10/15) and Alcorn State vs. Jackson State (11/19) on its schedule.

In addition, BET is scheduled to broadcast Hampton vs. Jackson State on September 3. and Tennessee State vs. Jackson State on September 10.

So it appears that CSTV and BET are picking up games that ESPNU didn't chose.

Back