Birmingham Southern to close down in May

Money is the obstacle for Miles. It would take a big successful fundraiser to get the necessary funds, unless Miles already have them.
Money mismanagement is the biggest obstacle at Miles. The White House and rich white folks dealing with white guilt been throwing money at private HBCUs like crazy.

Interesting.! Isn’t Miles College affiliated with the AME Church. Remember what happened to Morris Brown. The black Methodist Church didn’t save them.
Miles is CME affiliated. The cost of education far outpaced the collection plate a long time ago. I don't know about the CME, but I know the AME has debated for more than thirty years about closing some of their colleges.

In my opinion, historically, the church has done very well educating our people in a nation that had no intention of doing so. I think they should now pull back and divert the resources to ministries.

Last edited:

I actually have a co worker who played WBB for BSC...she said she saw it coming a few years ago but was still hopeful they would stay open...

Last edited:
Yeah this is a bad sign for Birmingham. I read BSC was responsible for brining over $100 million to the area each year. The only thing can save the city is a white mayor or strong white interest in the city which I don't see happening.

I heard they were gentrifying some parts of Birmingham but it's not enough to push the city in the right direction. Yeah Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile are all headed in the wrong direction. The more Black a city gets the worse it gets and it's not b/c of racism contrary to popular belief ... we don't know how to work together, build, and sustain our own thriving communities THE RIGHT WAY and don't care too.
I can tell you that the city of Montgomery is unintentionally doing things to push out middle and upper income black people out of the city. I am considering moving as well. I see Montgomery turning into a Philadelphia type city.

I can tell you that the city of Montgomery is unintentionally doing things to push out middle and upper income black people out of the city. I am considering moving as well. I see Montgomery turning into a Philadelphia type city.
B’ham Southern left Greensboro and Samford left Marion for Birmingham in the 1880s because of the number of blacks in the Alabama Blackbelt. Your comment appears to reinforce that view. Interesting!

I've learned to be weary of mostly Black leadership. Call me anti-Black or whatever but it's not true ... I am just not gonna pretend Black people are perfect and I don't notice when they lead things usually goes really bad. Memphis, Detroit, Philadelphia, Jackson, Washington DC, Baltimore, Baton Rouge, on and so forth ... all cities with maority Black leadership and none are considered highly desirable cities to live or raise a family (unless maybe you rich). Atlanta may be the only exception but that's only b/c they have a large white/non-Black presence in the city now and they in fact call the shots "behind the scenes"

Montgomery was doing well before it became majority Black. That's when the chaos and decline worsen. I used to visit Montgomery often before Reed got in office, I notice the difference once white people start leaving

Last edited:
I've learned to be weary of mostly Black city leadership. Call me anti-Black or whatever but it's not true ... I am not gonna pretend I don't notice it usually goes really bad. Memphis, Detroit, Philadelphia, Jackson, Washington DC, Baltimore, Baton Rouge, on and so forth ... none desirable cities. Atlanta is the only exception but that's only b/c they have a large white/non-Black presence in the city now and they in fact call the shots "behind the scenes"

Montgomery was doing well before it became majority Black. That's when the chaos and decline worsen
Oh my…perception v reality. It looks like right wing media has shaded your perception of black politicians. Obviously you do not understand the history of white governing of Montgomery. You have the right to your opinion.

Oh my…perception v reality. It looks like right wing media has shaded your perception of black politicians.
Looks like left wing media has blinded your reality of Black politicians. Olde Hornet just said the same thing and the proof is in the pudding. Where's the proof Montgomery is better today than it was 10 years ago? I have a bunch of facts to prove otherwise. Of course you don't have a proof and will try to deflect.

Just FYI, Montgomery population is DECLINING since Reed got in office. Also the middle class is leaving the fastest. That's not a sign of a healthy city. He needs to lead efforts to fix that but wont happen

The pudding:

Looks like left wing media has blinded your reality of Black politicians. Olde Hornet just said the same thing and the proof is in the pudding. Where's the proof Montgomery is better today than it was 10 years ago? I have a bunch of facts to prove otherwise. Of course you don't have a proof or try to deflect.

Just FYI, Montgomery population is DECLINING since Reed got in office. Also the middle class is leaving the fastest. That's not a sign of a healthy city. He needs to lead efforts to fix that but wont happen

The pudding:
I’ve learned to ignore comments like yours. Carry on and have a blessed Easter. I will not respond to any more of your posts.

I've learned to be weary of mostly Black leadership. Call me anti-Black or whatever but it's not true ... I am just not gonna pretend Black people are perfect and I don't notice when they lead things usually goes really bad. Memphis, Detroit, Philadelphia, Jackson, Washington DC, Baltimore, Baton Rouge, on and so forth ... all cities with maority Black leadership and none are considered highly desirable cities to live or raise a family (unless maybe you rich). Atlanta may be the only exception but that's only b/c they have a large white/non-Black presence in the city now and they in fact call the shots "behind the scenes"

Montgomery was doing well before it became majority Black. That's when the chaos and decline worsen. I used to visit Montgomery often before Reed got in office, I notice the difference once white people start leaving
There are moving parts: The work of the unseen hand to disrupt and dismantle for there own personal gain. As a reference, we have seen efforts from people who live out of state grease palms and poor large sums of money into the black belt to stop it's growth because they don't want to pay land tax. Our once governor, Bob Riley led a crusade against the lottery, Victory land, and Greenetrack because he was bought and paid for by the Mississippi Indians.

To go deeper, the U.S. and the rest still terrorize Haiti because of the Haitian Revolution; Some African Countries still pay a horrible price to France for their independence.

Europeans can't stand to see Africans in positions of power unless they have a hand in it. Every time the European looks into the face of the African he sees his past, present, and future. No matter how much he puts on that Fake smile.

There are moving parts: The work of the unseen hand to disrupt and dismantle for there own personal gain. As a reference, we have seen efforts from people who live out of state grease palms and poor large sums of money into the black belt to stop it's growth because they don't want to pay land tax. Our once governor, Bob Riley led a crusade against the lottery, Victory land, and Greenetrack because he was bought and paid for by the Mississippi Indians.

To go deeper, the U.S. and the rest still terrorize Haiti because of the Haitian Revolution; Some African Countries still pay a horrible price to France for their independence.

Europeans can't stand to see Africans in positions of power unless they have a hand in it. Every time the European looks into the face of the African he sees his past, present, and future. No matter how much he puts on that Fake smile.
I'm not saying racism isn't a problem. I'm saying "WE" are the biggest problem. We don't respect and work together well enough. If we did we can easily overcome racism and everything else and be on top.

For example, look at the Jackson, Mississippi City Council which is majority Black. Do you know how much CORRUPTION, FALSE PROMISES, AND STEALING going on there each year? A lot. They be screwing over their OWN PEOPLE WITH 0 CARES! Most Black people not from Jackson will never want to live there, even most natives I know hate living in their "Black city" which it shouldn't be that way. And you can say well white people do it too but they are in the position too, Black people are at the bottom of the barrel and as a collective nowhere near white people's level of stability and prosperity in this country .... we can't do what white people do yet until we are on their level which will never happen which they way we going

Last edited:

Jackson is a perfect example of this
The Jackson City Council is not really "political power".... The Mississippi Legislature has the power... They have control in the city of Jackson and the rest of the state. They just flexed that power when they set up their own police and court system within the city of Jackson. There is a current bill moving through the legislature right now to take back control of the Jackson water system... So the Jackson City Council is really just a "figure head" for people like Kenny Stokes to spew nonsense. It is like any other place, those out front doing all the talking are rarely the ones really calling the shots. They are there talking just as a distraction.

Montgomery is interesting - there is a lot of positive growth and jobs in the city / county / region. Montgomery is on the verge of becoming a Philadelphia. Some of the things that Montgomery leadership missed are:

1. Getting a higher percentage of its citizens to care, value and understand the importance of education
2. Not getting people into trades (HVAC, electricians, mechanics etc...)
3. Quality of life issues (policing, cleanliness, noise, crime (especially minor crimes) etc...)

Whew, it’s a lot of racial cancer curing attempts going on in this thread. Yes, there is a formidable percentage of Europeans that are the masters of deception, practice religious hypocrisy and sew discord with intent to conquer and destroy. Yes, there is an uncomfortable percentage of non Europeans, with a myriad of issues inclusive of inferiority complexes, self loathing, unhealed mental trauma (that manifests itself in too many ways to list) etc. If one looks close enough, you’ll see it all around permeating in what you may even consider a safe or intimate zone……sorry to be the bearer of this concise news brief…

Sorry, but a good reason Baton Rouge is the way it is basically because of the home rule charter that set up the city-parish government in East Baton Rouge Parish. Meaning folks in the suburbs have a say in what goes on in Baton Rouge.

Then-Mayor Kip Holden wanted to pass a tax to revamp downtown BR and add stuff to make it attractive for young professionals and families and businesses

The NIMBY crowd rejected the measure. The NIMBY crowd has held back Metro BR for decades

Oh … Baton Rouge has only had TWO Black mayors in Kip and Broome. And Metro Council has been a mess since home rule ( the early 90s)

Last edited:
Reactions: J C
businesses and residents rather not deal with blacks in charge as a whole when it comes to the highest level - you see how the next suburb over sprouts up as a result

Can someone explain the history of ridgeland and Madison and who is in charge?

Is Prattvile the suburb draining Montgomery?

businesses and residents rather not deal with blacks in charge as a whole when it comes to the highest level - you see how the next suburb over sprouts up as a result

Can someone explain the history of ridgeland and Madison and who is in charge?

Is Prattvile the suburb draining Montgomery?
It was popular for white flight, but Pike Road is attracting the middle / upper income blacks and whites now and its in Montgomery County. The Pike Road school system don't have a big problem of dealing with people that don't care about education. I am waiting to see when there will be a push for affordable housing in the town. The one thing that the City of Montgomery has that keep a few middle / upper income blacks and whites are their Magnet schools. They consistently rank high nationally.

We dont have these problems in Huntsville… the suburbs are growing but the city is also. It’s enough space for everyone here. Huntsville has over 30k more people than the next largest city in Alabama (Montgomery) and crime is still the lowest out of the major cities in the state.

Back