Birmingham Southern to close down in May

This has been bounced around for sometime. The republican leadership were not interested in spending tax payer money to keep this school in business. It will be interesting to see if a developer turned this into a housing / business / retail area.

This has been bounced around for sometime. The republican leadership were not interested in spending tax payer money to keep this school in business. It will be interesting to see if a developer turned this into a housing / business / retail area.
Never heard of it. However, being a private Methodist school, what does this have to do with Republician, or even Democrat. Seems like it should fall on the Methodist primary (and I am a Methodist and provide support to Rust college in Mississippi).

Never heard of it. However, being a private Methodist school, what does this have to do with Republician, or even Democrat. Seems like it should fall on the Methodist primary (and I am a Methodist and provide support to Rust college in Mississippi).
The Republicans in Alabama hate Birmingham Southern. They call it a liberal institution with corrupt ideas. Go to Alabama Live on Facebook and read the comments section. You will understand why he said Republican. Wether y'all want to admit it or not White Trump supporters have declared war on anyone in this country who doesn't support MAGA. I hear it 24/7 when I'm around them. Just like the ship hitting the bridge yesterday. The Republican party is saying it's because of Diversity Inclusion. What does that have to do with it? Nothing but to them it's a war on America uf you aren't a white male so they push it in any narrative. Read the comments section

Last edited:
The Republicans in Alabama hate Birmingham Southern. They call it a liberal institution with corrupt ideas. Go to Alabama Live on Facebook and read the comments section. You will understand why he said Republican. Wether y'all want to admit it or not White Trump supporters have declared war on anyone in this country who doesn't support MAGA. I hear it 24/7 when I'm around them. Just like the ship hitting the bridge yesterday. The Republican party is saying it's because of Diversity Inclusion. What does that have to do with it? Nothing but to them it's a war on America uf you aren't a white male so they push it in any narrative. Read the comments section

Cee _ you are so right, I was going to go there, but decided not, but you speak the truth.

This is a surprise!

Republicans Have an Internal Polling Problem​

Republican Teddy Powell lost his bid for a seat in the Alabama House to Democratic candidate Marilyn Lands on Tuesday despite internal polling conducted in December which suggested he was on course for a comfortable victory. :):eek:;)

Lands flipped the previously Republican district with 62.4 percent of the vote against 37.6 percent for Powell, a Madison City Council member. However, an internal poll conducted by Powell's campaign in December put the Republican on 47.7 percent of the vote against 36.8 percent for Lands.

Tuesday's defeat in Alabama is the latest in a string of disappointing election results for the Republicans, raising questions about their internal polling and that carried out by sympathetic conservative groups especially as the 2024 presidential election nears. Republicans widely expected to enjoy a "Red Wave" during the 2022 midterm elections, based in part on polling from conservative-leaning media, which then failed to materialize.

Birmingham Southern has a nice beautiful campus… I pray they dont let that campus rot… If I was Miles I would pack up and move ASAP.

Birmingham Southern has a nice beautiful campus… I pray they dont let that campus rot… If I was Miles I would pack up and move ASAP.

Dahill, THAT thought crossed my mind as well. Hmmm....wouldn't surprise me if they did.

This is a surprise!

Republicans Have an Internal Polling Problem​

Republican Teddy Powell lost his bid for a seat in the Alabama House to Democratic candidate Marilyn Lands on Tuesday despite internal polling conducted in December which suggested he was on course for a comfortable victory. :):eek:;)

Lands flipped the previously Republican district with 62.4 percent of the vote against 37.6 percent for Powell, a Madison City Council member. However, an internal poll conducted by Powell's campaign in December put the Republican on 47.7 percent of the vote against 36.8 percent for Lands.

Tuesday's defeat in Alabama is the latest in a string of disappointing election results for the Republicans, raising questions about their internal polling and that carried out by sympathetic conservative groups especially as the 2024 presidential election nears. Republicans widely expected to enjoy a "Red Wave" during the 2022 midterm elections, based in part on polling from conservative-leaning media, which then failed to materialize.
The thing about polls is that they only as accurate as those answering the poll questions and it would not surprise me that their internal polling was based on people who are mostly republicans already.

Back in the 70's or early 80's, Birmingham-Southern considered leaving that location because the surrounding neighborhood had changed and was deteriorating. Miles had agreed to buy the campus and move there. But B-SC did not make the move. The present president of B-SC says the campus has a liquidation value of $22M. If Miles can come up with the money, it could get the campus.

Back in the 70's or early 80's, Birmingham-Southern considered leaving that location because the surrounding neighborhood had changed and was deteriorating. Miles had agreed to buy the campus and move there. But B-SC did not make the move. The present president of B-SC says the campus has a liquidation value of $22M. If Miles can come up with the money, it could get the campus.
The incite i was waiting for on BSC.The school was founded in 1856..my guess is that whole area was predominately white until the late 1960s... I have many ?s..one off the top is did all their prominent white alumni with money just die out?they have to be rolling in their graves...as you can see BSC has a beautiful campus..i'm thinking Legion Field is on the other side of this picture because the stadium is literally across the street....20240327_153502.jpg

The incite i was waiting for on BSC.The school was founded in 1856..my guess is that whole area was predominately white until the late 1960s... I have many ?s..one off the top is did all their prominent white alumni with money just die out?they have to be rolling in their graves...as you can see BSC has a beautiful campus..i'm thinking Legion Field is on the other side of this picture because the stadium is literally across the street....View attachment 19173

As usual they build, we follow, they abandon and we gotta make a decision to stay and build or keep following and never take ownership

As usual they build, we follow, they abandon and we gotta make a decision to stay and build or keep following and never take ownership

The incite i was waiting for on BSC.The school was founded in 1856..my guess is that whole area was predominately white until the late 1960s... I have many ?s..one off the top is did all their prominent white alumni with money just die out?they have to be rolling in their graves...as you can see BSC has a beautiful campus..i'm thinking Legion Field is on the other side of this picture because the stadium is literally across the street....View attachment 19173
I read an article about B-SC fundraising a couple of years ago when talk of closing down began. It said that B-SC had traditionally received most of its donated funds from the large corporations that were headquartered in Birmingham. Those corporations also hired a lot of B-SC graduates. Most of those large corporations have been bought out and headquarters moved away. Thus, a major source of funding was lost and could not be replaced. Fundraising is more challenging for it now.

This was in the news paper today. Hopefully it's not a repost
It is not a repost. But it discusses the prior attempt by Miles to move to the B-SC campus and asks whether Miles is still interested in the campus.

I read an article about B-SC fundraising a couple of years ago when talk of closing down began. It said that B-SC had traditionally received most of its donated funds from the large corporations that were headquartered in Birmingham. Those corporations also hired a lot of B-SC graduates. Most of those large corporations have been bought out and headquarters moved away. Thus, a major source of funding was lost and could not be replaced. Fundraising is more challenging for it now.

If the campus is nicer than Miles and provides them with what they need, I would love to see them move.
Money is the obstacle for Miles. It would take a big successful fundraiser to get the necessary funds, unless Miles already have them.

Money is the obstacle for Miles. It would take a big successful fundraiser to get the necessary funds, unless Miles already have them.
Interesting.! Isn’t Miles College affiliated with the AME Church. Remember what happened to Morris Brown. The black Methodist Church didn’t save them.

Yeah this is a bad sign for Birmingham. I read BSC was responsible for brining over $100 million to the area each year. The only thing can save the city is a white mayor or strong white interest in the city which I don't see happening.

I heard they were gentrifying some parts of Birmingham but it's not enough to push the city in the right direction. Yeah Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile are all headed in the wrong direction. The more Black a city gets the worse it gets and it's not b/c of racism contrary to popular belief ... we don't know how to work together, build, and sustain our own thriving communities THE RIGHT WAY and don't care too.

Last edited:
Back