"Being White Helps" says NFL Player

Deuce

Green Bay Wide Receiver Underestimated by DBs?

GREEN BAY, Wis. — In the Packers locker room, the topic of wide receiver Jordy Nelson being underestimated by opposing defenses due to the color of his skin is discussed frequently and openly.

So when the story became national news this week, Nelson didn't really understand why it was such a big deal.

During Thursday's practice, Nelson was asked about the story by teammate Robert Francois, whose sister had heard about it.

"I hope it doesn't become a big deal because it's not," Nelson said Thursday. "We've talked about it all the time, that people underestimate me just because of it. But, hey, that's fine with me. Let me get open. I'm fine with that."

When asked if he was surprised that race was still such a major topic as it pertained to this situation, Nelson laughed, then paused.

"I don't think it's an . . . It's not . . . oh, boy . . . I'm trying to think how to say this . . . I don't think it's an issue," Nelson said. "There's stereotypes. Let's go with that."

Nelson, now in his fourth NFL season after being drafted by the Packers in the second round in 2008, is having a breakout year. Before the '08 draft, Nelson was told by one of his coaches at Kansas State that NFL teams were comparing him to New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker.

"We're not even close; two totally different players," Nelson said Thursday. "But he's white, I'm white. That's the only thing we have in common."

Nelson is 6-foot-3, 217 pounds. Welker is 5-9, 185 pounds. Based on measurements alone, it would seem like quite a reach to compare the two.

"It's easy for someone to say, ‘Oh, yeah, he's like one of those other white receivers,' but he's not," fellow Packers receiver Greg Jennings said Wednesday.

"A lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him and say ‘OK, yeah, he's the white guy, he can't be that good,' " Jennings said. "Well, he is that good and he's proven to be that good. They underestimate him, and that's the advantage. Honestly, he uses that to his advantage."

click below for full article . . .

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/1...g_packers.html?blockID=606580&feedID=5059

Last edited:
Back