Being Serious About The "Spear's Controversy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tigerpride said:
McNair had no defense..most of the games he played were close because he was a one man team.
Man, whatever!! SHut that S**T up and go to the MEAC page :lmao:

mighty hornet said:
damn, I hate I went and looked at the stats from your game against Concordia. :smh:
Yeah, you're right, you were up 55-7 at halftime, against an obviously outmanned, team in their first year of ball.

And then came the 2nd half, and Bruce Eugene is still in the game and still throwing the ball. After he throws a TD and you're up 62-7, on Gram's next series, Eugene is still in the game and as sad as it is, he's still throwing the ball.
:smh:

no need for you to try to divert to a game years ago.
WHAT IS THE BIG DAMN DEAL???? IS ANYBODY'S PAYCHECK BEING CUT BECAUSE O HOW LONG BRUCE STAYS IN THE GAME OR HOW MANY POINTS GRAM SCORES? DAMN, STOP LOSING SLEEP OVER THIS S**T. I'M SURE YOU PEOPLES ENERGY CAN BE PUT TO USE IN ANOTHEER AREA IN LIFE :(

bluedog said:
No, because he was a legitimate heisman canidate and he didn't get there by inflating numbers against a club team or below .500 D-IAA school.
It ain't EUgenes ault that these sorry azz teams in the SWAC are at or below .500....

JR said:
JSU had good defenses then
SU had the Dog Day rolling at that time Mac played. One reason we beat him
Grambling's defense was good even though he couldn't have played them

The conference had not become an air it out conference like it is now. It was just starting that phase. Also the thing about Mc Nair is he knew his defense sucked and everyone else knew that as well and nobody still couldn't stop him. Bruce aint never had that type of pressure. Mac knew he had to carry the team on his back every damn game if they were going to win. That's why ESPN was all over him showing highlights. People were in awe of that dude. Mighty strange when we have more TV coverage than we ever had in the SWAC, that those same folks aint showing the Eugene highlights and bragging him up like they did Steve. Maybe that's why Spears is running up the scores to get him press.
Eugene has one of the best offensive lines that the SWASC has seen in a minute. Maybe that's why he hasn't been pressured. Or, doe everybody in the SWAC have weak pass rushing defences?

G-Man75 said:
Eugene has one of the best offensive lines that the SWASC has seen in a minute. Maybe that's why he hasn't been pressured. Or, doe everybody in the SWAC have weak pass rushing defences?

Do you take cognac with your coke? :lol:

JROCK said:
Do you take cognac with your coke? :lol:
Yes.... And if you don't go to any GSU games you really can't comment on that. Bruce has helluva pass protection. Teams are not stupid enough to blitz him, because that leaves somebody open and with his recievers, quick release, familiarity with the offense he could do even more damage......

G-Man75 said:
Uhh..........i think JR was talking about the type of pressure of having to put the team on your back EVERY WEEK and win because the rest of your team SUCKS. That type of pressure.

Blacknbengal said:
See, that is what I'm talking about. What would the alumni think if Bruce get hurt if they're up by 3 TDs late in the 4th quarter? What would the alumni and Bruce think if Bruce ended up with a season ending injury in a game where Gram is up by 3 TDs late in the 4th quarter?
...............any responses??? :|

No one from gram has yet to respond to this comment.

MACHIAVELLI said:
So Steve McNairs coach never left him in a game when the lead was well in hand? Was every team in the SWAC was good when McNair played?

What da phugg did you just say?

SAME OLD G said:
Nice,

I know exactly what you are saying, but relative to the way the game was played even back in the day...the SWAC was considered a passing conference. 1000 yard backs were not common back in the day. And they sure as hell are not common now.

SOG,
What are you talking about? Back in the day everybody had a 1000 yard rusher. Shid JSU had 2 in one year in Perry Harrington and Jeffrey Moore who both went to the NFL amd that continued throughout the 80s with Lewis Tillman, William Arnold and even up until Destry Wright left. Alcorn ran all the time under Casem. Heck even Coach Rob ran the ball, he probably had the most balanced offense back then. JSU ran the wishbone until they signed Keith Taylor out of Waycross, Ga to throw the ball some. Valley ran the ball until Cooley got there and even then they had a 1000 yard back. Now you can barely find a 1000 yard back in the SWAC.

JR said:
SOG,
What are you talking about? Back in the day everybody had a 1000 yard rusher. Shid JSU had 2 in one year in Perry Harrington and Jeffrey Moore who both went to the NFL amd that continued throughout the 80s with Lewis Tillman, William Arnold and even up until Destry Wright left. Alcorn ran all the time under Casem. Heck even Coach Rob ran the ball, he probably had the most balanced offense back then. JSU ran the wishbone until they signed Keith Taylor out of Waycross, Ga to throw the ball some. Valley ran the ball until Cooley got there and even then they had a 1000 yard back. Now you can barely find a 1000 yard back in the SWAC.

Don't forget about Bama State's Brad Baxter (NY Jets), Fobbs & Gant (Gram); Carl Blue (JSU); Melvin Williams (SU) and that other back from Cali that ran the ball for S.U. that replaced Williams

G-Man75 said:
It ain't EUgenes ault that these sorry azz teams in the SWAC are at or below .500....

Alcorn made it a POINT to schedule top ranked PWC's or Highly ranked HBCU's like Howard with Jay Walker when McNair was at Alcorn. The 9 game mandate is going to be the death of us. Back then the SWAC only had 7 conference games.

Tigerpride said:
Alcorn made it a POINT to schedule top ranked PWC's or Highly ranked HBCU's like Howard with Jay Walker when McNair was at Alcorn. The 9 game mandate is going to be the death of us. Back then the SWAC only had 7 conference games.

TP, we only had 8 teams in the SWAC then. Remember Pine Bluff had not become a member yet and Bama A&M first official year was 99. 98 we played them but not as a SWAC game. So we had teams we could schedule. I remember SU playing the SC State's, Tenn. State's,FAMU's and NW LA State for out of conference schedule. We would have 4 games like that. Then Pine Bluff came along and we still could have 3. Now the 9 game mandate is just bs. I hate to be this way. But if our conference needs to survive by playing 9 games then we need to fold up. Maybe we aint ready. Maybe some schools really need to be D-2. Aint no shame in it. It might be better financially for some.

Jag Voice said:
Well, I say Spears has no class for more reasons than running up to score. Running up the score shows bad sportsnmanship but I would not call him "no class" just for that. Here's why I say he has no class

1st: He refused to vote in the SWAC preseason voting because he could not vote for his own team. Not sure which year but he admitted to it.

2nd: He tried to ask for a forfeit for the Alcorn game after the Hurricaine. To even hint a forfeit is ridiculous.

Now if you add these things to the scoring, I can't come to any other conclusion because neither of these things have anything to do with Eugene winning an award.

That's really kinda weak... Refusing to vote for another team isn't classless. It may be arrogant but I just don't see how that's classless. Classless means doing something that is dishonest or unethical with intent to harm others. I don't see how his refusal to vote for any other team is classless. It is arrogant and I can even see where some would say it's unsportsmanlike...but classless. You're kinda reaching on that one.

The Alcorn forfeit thing... Okay. I can understand the hits he's taking on that one. Especially when you look at things at face value. But (and this is gonna sound like I'm defending him) there's more to it than meets the eye. Understand me well...HE STILL SHOULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR THE FORFEIT! However, his comments were feuled by his feelings that Alcorn's Administration was using the storm as an excuse...why? because they were discussing rescheduling the game well past the time of the storm. Alcorn's administration was sending out mixed signals. Not trying to shift blame, but they had ample time to know that there was too much storm damage to have the game...they should have cancelled it from the jump. Yes, Spears shouldn't have asked for a forfeit (but) the man really thought they were trying to avoid an early azzwhipping and hoping to play us later when they were improved.

Maybe if you had more than 2 reasons or could cite some other instances of playing ineligible players, changing grades, pulling illegal recruiting tactics, or trying to hurt players then I could see where you're coming from. But the quantity and quality of your reasons makes me wonder if it's not some inherent bias. However, I respect your right to your own opinion... This is a good discussion thread.

JR said:
TP, we only had 8 teams in the SWAC then. Remember Pine Bluff had not become a member yet and Bama A&M first official year was 99. 98 we played them but not as a SWAC game. So we had teams we could schedule. I remember SU playing the SC State's, Tenn. State's,FAMU's and NW LA State for out of conference schedule. We would have 4 games like that. Then Pine Bluff came along and we still could have 3. Now the 9 game mandate is just bs. I hate to be this way. But if our conference needs to survive by playing 9 games then we need to fold up. Maybe we aint ready. Maybe some schools really need to be D-2. Aint no shame in it. It might be better financially for some.
Yeah Gram's schedule was the same way. Now we have to settle for the sorry Concordia's of the world because we have no flexibility to our schedule to fit good teams in.

GRAM4LIFE said:
Yeah Gram's schedule was the same way. Now we have to settle for the sorry Concordia's of the world because we have no flexibility to our schedule to fit good teams in.

I concur. It is difficult to schedule now. Unless you agree to play a bunch of Classic type games. Even then that is hard because it can't fall on the 9 SWAC game schedule which because of last years issues with SU/PB and others. The SWAC office is involved with the SWAC scheduled games which we know how long it takes them to get back to you. Which will be too late to schedule a decent out of conference game.

JR said:
I concur. It is difficult to schedule now. Unless you agree to play a bunch of Classic type games. Even then that is hard because it can't fall on the 9 SWAC game schedule which because of last years issues with SU/PB and others. The SWAC office is involved with the SWAC scheduled games which we know how long it takes them to get back to you. Which will be too late to schedule a decent out of conference game.

Instead of the one game (two teams) SWAC/MEAC Challenge, the two leagues need to get together and make plans to open the season with matchups across the board. Pair them up according to how they finish this season and make it a home and home. After the season year, pair them up again based upon how the teams finished that season... The SWAC and MEAC needs to be working together to have more matchups (home and home).

MikeBigg said:
Instead of the one game (two teams) SWAC/MEAC Challenge, the two leagues need to get together and make plans to open the season with matchups across the board. Pair them up according to how they finish this season and make it a home and home. After the season year, pair them up again based upon how the teams finished that season... The SWAC and MEAC needs to be working together to have more matchups (home and home).

Not a bad idea. The Meac has much more flexibility to do it too. Since they don't have a mandate and participate in the 1-AA playoffs. But I bet what will happen is the SWAC 9 game mandate will cause a scheduling headache with the Meac teams just to get us on their schedules.

JR said:
SOG,
What are you talking about? Back in the day everybody had a 1000 yard rusher.

I didn't say they didn't exist. I said they were not common. When you compare the numbers of those backs to backs from other rushing conferences...I can assure you (without doing the research) there is no comparison.

The SWAC is and has been a passing conference.

EVEN IF HE DID PULL EUGENE OUT AFTER THE HALF GRAM WOULD HAVE STILL HAD 80 + POINTS, DON'T FORGET THE BACK-UP QB STARTED ALL LAST YEAR, DID HE NOT BEAT SU IN THE BAYOU CLASSIC GRAM JUST HAS A LOT OF TALENT THIS YEAR

whocares98 said:
EVEN IF HE DID PULL EUGENE OUT AFTER THE HALF GRAM WOULD HAVE STILL HAD 80 + POINTS,

People seem to forget there was a fumble returned for a TD, 2 int's, 3 rushing td's, a punt returned for a TD, 1 Blocked field goals, 3 blocked punts and the backup threw a TD.

whocares98 said:
DON'T FORGET THE BACK-UP QB STARTED ALL LAST YEAR, DID HE NOT BEAT SU IN THE BAYOU CLASSIC GRAM JUST HAS A LOT OF TALENT THIS YEAR

No he didn't. The backup didn't play last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back