Article: Males a distinct minority at HBCUs

This is true. The emasculation of men and the "empowerment" of women has been happening for a long time. As you noted, the affect it has had on our communities is profound.

However, I think this is more about men's personal responsibility rather than the labels society is trying to bestow upon us. At some point, men - especially Black men - have to decide that they want to achieve regardless of what others think.

What is the black male's role? I can tell you stories from my experience in the schools-our black boys don't know what the bloody HECK they are. Because you have too many folks saying YES to everything they do even if it's wrong.

Why do we have black boy walking around in women's clothing? Lil Wayne does it and now every black boy is doing it. I've seen too many black boys that CLAIM to men wearing their little sister's jackets, coloring thier hair, getting tramp stamp tats and even throwing HISSY fits when they don't get thier way.

Part of the reason we are now seeign fewer boys in HBCUs-how many that would have gone have been taken by PWCs when they prove they can play a sport?

Look at how bad some of our smart young black males are being treated now. Donald Glover would be DEAD if he was growing up now in the hood of most states. Almost every black boy killed is some nonsport playing smart black boy that wasn't even the main target.

How many of our black boys are getting dumped into Special education (mainly for checks)? Guess what folks that is who makes up your prison, drug, child molesting, dropout and abuser population.

Do you know how many times I have heard a MOTHER say once she can't get a check for that boy-he's OUT THE DOOR.

And why would a black boy want to go to college? When he can lay up on a woman and SHE will take care of him?

A recent study by the Yale University Child Study Center shows that black children — especially boys — no matter their family income, receive less attention, harsher punishment and lower marks in school than their white counterparts from kindergarten all the way through college.

I hate studies like this because they don't tell the truth.

As others have said, women outnumbering men at HBCUs is not new at all. I think the real issue is what the men that do make it to college do while they are there.

Think back to when most of us were in undergrad. How many dudes played Madden all night, caked on the phone, or had smoke sessions instead of studying or completing assignments? Now, think about how many of those dudes actually walked across the stage with you or even a semester or two after you. It seems like when in comes to young men, a good number of them tend to focus on everything else in undergrad instead of what it will take to earn their degree. Unfortunately, some of this is cultural since some of our schools are erroneously viewed by some as places to party rather than to get educated and embark on a career path.

I think women tend to go to college more because men realize you don't need a college degree to be successful. When a man has a trade, he can use it to provide for his family in which most men do. You have to take in account those dudes who do construction, drive trucks and get skilled labor jobs in plants, go in the Army or military, police officers (although some cities require degrees)and fireman (same as police for degrees). Everyone can't have a degree, and everyone doesn't need a degree to be successful. There are more entrepreneurs in our community now than ever before.

Part of the problem is that many young men are only being given college as an option. Some people either may not be college material or may have a skill set that has nothing to do with what is learned in undergrad. What is really sad is that some dudes may end up at a plant or with a trade only after they have wasted time and money in college. In Louisiana, there are plenty of people working in plants or offshore that actually spent 4-6 years getting degrees in majors that they will never actually use.

Some parents also need to be realistic about their children's abililities. If your child caught hell in Algebra and Geometry, then maybe you shouldn't try to push him to go to college and major in Engineering. If your child slept through most English and History classes, then maybe you shouldn't try to push him to be Pre-Law. If your child has no earthly clue what they want to be, then sending them off to college at 18 may not be the best option at that time.

Part of the problem is that many young men are only being given college as an option. Some people either may not be college material or may have a skill set that has nothing to do with what is learned in undergrad. What is really sad is that some dudes may end up at a plant or with a trade only after they have wasted time and money in college. In Louisiana, there are plenty of people working in plants or offshore that actually spent 4-6 years getting degrees in majors that they will never actually use.

Some parents also need to be realistic about their children's abililities. If your child caught hell in Algebra and Geometry, then maybe you shouldn't try to push him to go to college and major in Engineering. If your child slept through most English and History classes, then maybe you shouldn't try to push him to be Pre-Law. If your child has no earthly clue what they want to be, then sending them off to college at 18 may not be the best option at that time.

Very well stated!

Back