Article: Males a distinct minority at HBCUs

2kool

“Women are very motivated to pursue education. Their ambition is fueled by advancement,â€￾ said Michael L. Lomax, president of the United ***** College Fund, an umbrella organization of private HBCUs. “Black women get it, but for whatever reason, that same impetus hasn’t been happening with African-American men, or with men, period.â€￾

http://www.ajc.com/news/males-a-distinct-minority-1321880.html

:popcorn:

I think part of this is simply because women outnumber men in general..

..but hey, let's not pass up the opportunity to make Black men seem like a bunch of slack azzes :lol:

Women generally outnumber men in higher education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, with nearly 60 percent of grad school enrollees being women.

As of 2010, boys were dropping out of high school at alarming rates, 4.9 percent versus 3.8 percent of girls.

As previously stated black women have always outnumbered black men in higher education, but the trend got worse in the 90's when the focus became "girl" oriented.

During the 90's it was noticed that so much focus was on boys in the past decades, so the focus shifted to the girls and empowerment of young women, which helped girls and young women gain a better focus on themselves and pushing them to do better. But lost in the shuffle were boys and in our case, specifically black boys. So what ended up happening is that alot of boys started acting out. Because instead of trying to cater (term used loosely) to both the boys and girls, society goes from one extreme to the next never finding a happy medium.

Just my opinion!!!

During the 90's it was noticed that so much focus was on boys in the past decades, so the focus shifted to the girls and empowerment of young women, which helped girls and young women gain a better focus on themselves and pushing them to do better. But lost in the shuffle were boys and in our case, specifically black boys. So what ended up happening is that alot of boys started acting out. Because instead of trying to cater (term used loosely) to both the boys and girls, society goes from one extreme to the next never finding a happy medium.

Just my opinion!!!

You are not the first person to present this theory. And it might not even be a theory these days. I, to the chagrin of a lot of people, believe the societal trend is to emasculate men while empowering women, which has resulted in a tremendous shift in gender roles and the balance of power in our communities.

You are not the first person to present this theory. And it might not even be a theory these days. I, to the chagrin of a lot of people, believe the societal trend is to emasculate men while empowering women, which has resulted in a tremendous shift in gender roles and the balance of power in our communities.

Yep. This is just the manifestation. :shame:

This is true. The emasculation of men and the "empowerment" of women has been happening for a long time. As you noted, the affect it has had on our communities is profound.

However, I think this is more about men's personal responsibility rather than the labels society is trying to bestow upon us. At some point, men - especially Black men - have to decide that they want to achieve regardless of what others think.

What have I been preaching for years on this board about the 1990's. That is not a social trend. That is a social fact and American History now.

People used to roll their eye at me way back in the early 2000's when I said this. Then all these mommas boys that had been raised by this crap started self destructing as young men because they didn't know what being a man was about and then all these downlow mofos started comming out. :smh:

As for women outnumbering men in college, that shat has BEEN like that.

Last edited:
This is true. The emasculation of men and the "empowerment" of women has been happening for a long time. As you noted, the affect it has had on our communities is profound.

However, I think this is more about men's personal responsibility rather than the labels society is trying to bestow upon us. At some point, men - especially Black men - have to decide that they want to achieve regardless of what others think.

Hard to do when society think in politically correct views based on gender. You really have to be a "don't GAS" person to live life outside of this PC society. Glad I was raised before that crap took hold in the black community and society as a whole.

Hard to do when society think in politically correct views based on gender. You really have to be a "don't GAS" person to live life outside of this PC society. Glad I was raised before that crap took hold in the black community and society as a whole.

Yeah, maybe you're right.

Like you, I was fortunate to raised during a different time AND I don't GAS what anybody thinks.

I stay on my little nephews though. I don't have a son, but I'm determined that ... as long as I'm breathing ... I'm going to do what I can to make sure none of mine end up losers. I still believe that somebody has to make a decision to succeed at some point.

I think women tend to go to college more because men realize you don't need a college degree to be successful. When a man has a trade, he can use it to provide for his family in which most men do. You have to take in account those dudes who do construction, drive trucks and get skilled labor jobs in plants, go in the Army or military, police officers (although some cities require degrees)and fireman (same as police for degrees). Everyone can't have a degree, and everyone doesn't need a degree to be successful. There are more entrepreneurs in our community now than ever before.

Last edited:
What have I been preaching for years on this board about the 1990's. That is not a social trend. That is a social fact and American History now.

People used to roll their eye at me way back in the early 2000's when I said this. Then all these mommas boys that had been raised by this crap started self destructing as young men because they didn't know what being a man was about and then all these downlow mofos started comming out. :smh:

As a result of the D.L./metrosexual/effeminate/homosexual groups becoming accepted and celebrated, to counterbalance that we've seen the rise of hypermasculinity, where men need to prove their manhood by constantly divulging there sexual exploits and desires or exaggerate/boast about other behaviors.

I think women tend to go to college more because men realize you don't need a college degree to be successful. When a man has a trade, he can use it to provide for his family in which most men do. You have to take in account those dudes who do construction, drive trucks and get skilled labor jobs in plants, go in the Army or military, police officers (although some cities require degrees)and fireman (same as police for degrees). Everyone can't have a degree, and everyone doesn't need a degree to be successful. There are more entrepreneurs in our community now than ever before.

I'm not so sure that's the case.

Sure, you can make a decent living with a trade, but even in construction the better paying jobs are requiring a degree more and more.

After seeing what has happened to the manufacturing industry in America, I'm not sure any young man these days would be wise to gamble their future on a trade alone.

Certainly, we can agree that most entrepreneurs would benefit from having a degree.

Last edited:

You shole is right Frat. You already know JR's motto about they don't make em like they used too. SMH. Oh well.

They just change with the manufacturing jobs. Skill labor is not as abundant as it once was, but you can still make money. In Huntsville/Decatur, Al area, plants here pay these guys 15-30 hour. My nieces husband is only 25. He started off with Norfolk Southern Railroad 5 years ago. he is a foreman making $40 a hour. It is possible. You don't have to have a degree to survive. Only sorry, lazy people want feed themselves. Now i prefer kids to go to college, but if they don't it is possible to survive. Maybe in areas like the Delta you are in trouble, but in technological areas you can survive. Some of these DOD plants in this area pay Soldering folks, wire wrap techs and assemblers 50K a year.
I'm not so sure that's the case.

Sure, you can make a decent living with a trade, but even in construction the better paying jobs are requiring a degree more and more.

After seeing what has happened to the manufacturing industry in America, I'm not sure any young man these days would be wise to gamble their future on a trade alone.

A recent study by the Yale University Child Study Center shows that black children — especially boys — no matter their family income, receive less attention, harsher punishment and lower marks in school than their white counterparts from kindergarten all the way through college.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y2IW6RWBFRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As a result of the D.L./metrosexual/effeminate/homosexual groups becoming accepted and celebrated, to counterbalance that we've seen the rise of hypermasculinity, where men need to prove their manhood by constantly divulging there sexual exploits and desires or exaggerate/boast about other behaviors.

Again.
To many YOUNG MEN have never been taught how to be a man or was never given a chance to be MEN.

Example of how this shat started............That ADD shat.

EVERY BOY in grade school that sneezed out of turn in the 1990's was labeled with this crap if they showed any signs of being a boy with a lot of enegry. What did these mofos do? They drugged them up and made them passive drones in elementary school. By the time they was in middle and highschool, their heads was so screwed up, they didn't know which way to turn for fear of being labeled a "future woman beater" or a danger.

Mofos could not even play kickball or any of the usual boyish playground games on the playground because it was deemed "too violent." :smh:

The school system in my hometown gave my nephew that crap when he was in grade school. His mother, my little sis, didn't know until after the fact. Talking about he could be suspended if he didn't take the drug. That girl went up to that school and went the fugg off on those people. Bottom line is he didn't take that shat. He just knew that when class was in session, he needed to sit his little azz down and pay attention in class. SHE MADE THAT CLEAR.

Got his but whipped just like we did when the "clown bug" took over. :lol:

Last edited:
A recent study by the Yale University Child Study Center shows that black children — especially boys — no matter their family income, receive less attention, harsher punishment and lower marks in school than their white counterparts from kindergarten all the way through college.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y2IW6RWBFRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What about black men who attended private schools such as Grambling State University Laboratory Magnet High School...commonly referred to as Grambling High in which case where there are no white kids to compare. I think studies like this promote the hypocrisy of education and never take into consideration of how to fix the problem.

Again.
To many YOUNG MEN have never been taught how to be a man or was never given a chance to be MEN.

Example of how this shat started............That ADD shat.

EVERY BOY in grade school that sneezed out of turn in the 1990's was labeled with this crap if they showed any signs of being a boy with a lot of enegry. What did these mofos do? They drugged them up and made them passive drones in elementary school. By the time they was in middle and highschool, their heads was so screwed up, they didn't know which way to turn for fear of being labeled a "future woman beater" or a danger.

Mofos could not even play kickball or any of the usual boyish playground games on the playground because it was deemed "too violent." :smh:

The school system in my hometown gave my nephew that crap when he was in grade school. His mother, my little sis, didn't know until after the fact. That girl went up to that school and went the fugg off on those people. Bottom line is he didn't take that shat. He just knew that when class was in session, he needed to sit his little azz down and pay attention in class. SHE MADE THAT CLEAR.

Got his but whipped just like we did when the "clown bug" took over. :lol:

Man, when I was in middle school the majority of the boys in my class would play tackle football during recess. I'm talking about spring, fall or winter. It didn't matter. I remember I would come home with dirt and grass stains all over my clothes, and my mom would be pissed, and she would warn me not to play. But my grandfather would tell my mom to let me be because I was doing what boys do. LOL

I remember once during fourth grade report card pick up day, my teacher wrote on the inside of the document, "Kendrick has been chatting it up with several girls during class. Ah, Spring!

Now little boys will be sent to the office for calling their teacher cute. SMH.

Kids are wusses now as a result of over protective parents and guardians. I tell my older relatives, especially those with boys, "Hey, they are going to fall down, get dirty and bleed and hurt themselves. Let him play." It's part of the deal.

My mom didn't play. She had no mercy on the kid. I swear in all my life I've seen my mom cry or be sentimental only twice. There was one time she attended one of my high school baseball games. I was playing first and there was a pop up near the first base dugout. I dive head long into the dugout in an attempt to catch the ball. I missed and ended up banging my upper body really good. I lay in the dugout for about five minutes it seemed holding my everything.

I get up, dust myself off and limp back to my position, and notice my mom sitting in the bleachers stone faced. So I ask her after the game was she concerned about me possibly being injured. She said, "Why? Nobody told your dumb butt to jump in the dugout trying to imitate what you see on TV."

My mom treated me like a dad would treat their son when I was growing up.

Last edited:
Back