Are for-profit colleges hurting HBCU's?

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
We were discussing this at lunch. Since the creation of the Pell Grants, a significant proportion of pell grant recipients attended HBCU's. Since the explosion of for-profit universities over the past 20 years, there has been a shift. Seven of the top ten schools for pell grant recipients are now for-profits. A lot of these kids who we used to attract are now at the U of Phoenix's or small technical for profits of the world. Crazy part is that most of these schools have much higher tuition than your average HBCU. There has also been a growing number of minorities in general that are flocking towards these schools.

There are two reasons I see for this shift.

1. Flexibility- One thing I applaud the for-profit sector is seeing their students as their customers. The for-profit sector really led the charge for online degree programs. They went out there way to really attract people whose schedules or responsibilities make it almost impossible to attend a traditional 4-year b&m school.

2. Standards- This may actually be a good thing for HBCU's but bad for the students. A lot of these schools have very low if any standards for acceptance.

I agree that for-profits have hurt the enrollment growth as HBCU's but they also finally convinced some of our lazy arse schools to change/evolve.

The only HBCUs that will be hurt by for-profit colleges, are the HBCUs that don't/wont' change or evolve.

For profit colleges are hurting their students regardless of race, the graduation rate is low and the tuition debt that they use to lure the poor is very high. Most people dont know that you cannot get out of that debt even in bankruptcy court.

For profit colleges are hurting their students regardless of race, the graduation rate is low and the tuition debt that they use to lure the poor is very high. Most people dont know that you cannot get out of that debt even in bankruptcy court.

This is true.

I agree wtih Olde Hornet because most students, regardless of race are taken on that debt and not gaining meaningful employment after graduation. The employment issue is mainly due to the reputation that for-profits have in society as being modern day diploma mills. However, HBCU administrators must learn how to compete with for-profits for students. For profit institutions now admit and graduate more African Americans than HBCUs. In my opinion, that is a two edged sword. Yes it is great they are getting an education, but if they still remain unemployed or underemployed, with twice the debt amount after attending the University of Phoenix, are they really better off? That is a higher education policy matter pops. Fix it my brother lol

We were discussing this at lunch. Since the creation of the Pell Grants, a significant proportion of pell grant recipients attended HBCU's. Since the explosion of for-profit universities over the past 20 years, there has been a shift. Seven of the top ten schools for pell grant recipients are now for-profits. A lot of these kids who we used to attract are now at the U of Phoenix's or small technical for profits of the world. Crazy part is that most of these schools have much higher tuition than your average HBCU. There has also been a growing number of minorities in general that are flocking towards these schools.

There are two reasons I see for this shift.

1. Flexibility- One thing I applaud the for-profit sector is seeing their students as their customers. The for-profit sector really led the charge for online degree programs. They went out there way to really attract people whose schedules or responsibilities make it almost impossible to attend a traditional 4-year b&m school.

2. Standards- This may actually be a good thing for HBCU's but bad for the students. A lot of these schools have very low if any standards for acceptance.

I agree that for-profits have hurt the enrollment growth as HBCU's but they also finally convinced some of our lazy arse schools to change/evolve.

Doubt it.
2 different "college mindsets."

The Majority of these "for profit" colleges attract mostly people with jobs and families that are basically trying to improve their skill set and don't have the time for a traditional 4 year college degree. These types of people just want to get better training, improve their skillsets and move on to a better job.

If anything is hurting HBCU's, it is the MAJOR COLLEGES, (Nebraska, Ohio States, etc), that provide online classes for 4 year degrees and post grad degrees. I know at least 4 people that got a degree from Nebraska totally online. Others used their online classes to get their post grad degree.

Got a buddy that has been taking online classes for the last 2 years. His den and computer is his classroom. :tup:

Doubt it.

The Majority of these "for profit" colleges attract mostly people with jobs and families that are basically trying to improve their skill set and don't have the time for a traditional 4 year college degree. These types of people just want to get better training, improve their skillsets and move on to a better job.

I semi-disagree here. I do see a lot of working professionals attending for-profits for advanced degrees but not for Bachelor's degrees. The ones I see attending for-profits for four year and 2 year degrees are a lot of of first generation students and minorities.

Then some of these smaller technical for-profits are simply glorified check-cashing stores. They should really be removed from the federal tit.

Doubt it.

If anything is hurting HBCU's, it is the MAJOR COLLEGES, (Nebraska, Ohio States, etc), that provide online classes for 4 year degrees and post grad degrees. I know at least 4 people that got a degree from Nebraska totally online. Others used their online classes to get their post grad degree.

Got a buddy that has been taking online classes for the last 2 years. His den and computer is his classroom. :tup:

I understand what you are saying 83, because that happens too. While the for-profits appeal to non-traditional students or those seeking graduate degrees, young black kids have taken to them as well. Therefore, HBCUs will compete for these students. Statistics show that the University of Phoenix is now graduating and admitting more African American students than all HBCUs combined, while HBCUs have seen a steady decline in enrollments. While the online degree requirements at major colleges are a competitor to HBCUs, they are not our primary competitior because many of those students would not have considered an HBCU anyway. Therefore, we are in competition with non-profits for those African American students who would not have met the requirements to attend Nebraska or Texas, online or on-campus. I don't have kids, but I doubt I would allow my 18 year old to go to school online. There is much to be learned from actually being engaged on a college campus, rather than joining a virtual student club or organization like they offer at University of Phoenix for traditional aged students.

I semi-disagree here. I do see a lot of working professionals attending for-profits for advanced degrees but not for Bachelor's degrees. The ones I see attending for-profits for four year and 2 year degrees are a lot of of first generation students and minorities.

Then some of these smaller technical for-profits are simply glorified check-cashing stores. They should really be removed from the federal tit.

The majority of students in undergrad programs at those schools are older and non-traditional students.

Over the last 2 years I have spoken to a lot of graduating seniors and not one of them mentioned plans to attend a for-profit school like U of Phoenix or Devry or AIU. They all initially want to go to 4-year schools, and many ultimately settle on community colleges or the military, but not a single one has ended up at a for-profit school.

Last edited:
The majority of students in undergrad programs at those schools are older and non-traditional students.

Not disputing that. A lot of those students could and should be at our schools though. They would come out a lot better with our services. We just need to be more flexible.

Not disputing that. A lot of those students could and should be at our schools though. They would come out a lot better with our services. We just need to be more flexible.

SU and JSU have online degree programs now. We're getting there. Even still, most 18-20 year olds will try out the traditional approach first.

I think HBCUs should concentrate on tradition college, not online degrees. I would like to see all the schools utilize technology more, things such as live streaming of classes, podcast of lectures, etc., but no or very little online degrees.

I think HBCUs should concentrate on tradition college, not online degrees. I would like to see all the schools utilize technology more, things such as live streaming of classes, podcast of lectures, etc., but no or very little online degrees.

And watch what happens if we don't offer online programs.

Back