All First-Time 2012 JSU Freshman Students will receive an Apple iPad!!

southsuburbs

What I Live By...
http://www.jsutoday.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/technology-advantage-scholarship-initiative.pdf

Technology Advantage Scholarship Initiative (TASI)

A partnership between Mississippi E-Center, Jackson State University, and Apple Computers...designed to put an iPad in the hands of every first time freshman student in the Fall 2012.

The University is also upgrading the wireless network to accommodate the increase of wireless devices, devloping a walk-up technical support center, providing a productivity suite of applications and installing tracking software on each iPad.

Incoming freshman students will be provided with an Apple iPad, a Zag case and a wirelss keyboard, free of charge. The only fee students will incur is the insurance of the equipment.

:clap: :clap:

"Thee I Love...."

Last edited:

Good move JSU. Tablets will be required for all students in the future. Textbooks and other published materials will only be available electronically

Good move JSU. Tablets will be required for all students in the future. Textbooks and other published materials will only be available electronically

Which is cheaper!!!

Paying for books is daymn near as hard as paying for tuition. :smh:

Congrats JSU! Hopefully all colleges will start providing laptops and Ipad to incoming students.

As long as everyone understands that when the ipads are going to be used to deliver typed responses the wireless keyboards will need to be brought to the classroom/lab, then this will be a very economical and practical delivery method. Unfortunately, electronic textbooks (where available) do not offer any financial relief.

I applaud the university for pushing forward with this incentive to our faculty.

I like this. Jones County Junior College located in Ellisville, MS implemented this when I was taking classes there in 2009. It initially cut book costs for students in a major way. I do know that they had issues with them being stolen and lost as well tech issues that happen with all electronic devices. Some students were opposed to them being held responsible for assignments when something happened to their ipad and others were upset that there was no insurance in place to have them replaced if lost or stolen, but I'm sure they have worked these issues out since. All in all I believe this is a good move by universities hopefully more HBCU's will catch the trend and move forward with this same implementation on their campuses.

“We’re the first institution in Mississippi that has anything this comprehensive that is integrated into the curriculum,” said JSU provost and vice president for Academic Affairs Mark G. Hardy. “We will be placing technology directly in the hands of students and giving them a mobile platform so that learning happens whether they are inside or outside of the classroom.”

The iPad program coincides with the launch of campus-wide Wi-Fi service, which will enable students to collaborate with each other and study conveniently from anywhere on campus. The program also dovetails with JSU’s iPad study, which is the largest study of its kind in the United States.

The iPads are expected to be an incentive for students to continue their studies at JSU through graduation. Students who leave the university during their freshman year will be asked to pay for or return the device. Those who remain enrolled for five semesters get to keep the iPad for their personal use.

EXCELLENT!!!!!

I absolutely love this! Great work Jackson State!

Back