Alfredo Monroe

Jam Piper Jam

Truth Seeker
I didn't realize that Alfredo Monroe from the "Kiddie" Corp had passed.

ALCORN STATE, Ms. ? The Alcorn State Athletic Department is saddened to announce the passing of Alfredo Monroe, who lost his battle with cancer. Monroe participated as a member of the Braves Basketball program from 1975-79.

Monroe, was an instrumental part of the Men?s Basketball program in his four seasons of play. Over the course of his eligibility he helped lead the Braves to a ledger of 96-20, in addition to two Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Championships, two National Association of Intercollegiate Athletic (NAIA) playoff berths and the programs first National Invitational Tournament (NIT) berth in history.

In the historic 78-79 season, Monroe?s 15 point, six rebound performance helped Alcorn State to a 108-89 victory over Southern University giving the Braves its lone undefeated season in its 61 years of existence. He continued to help pace the Alcorn State offensive attack in the first round of the NIT versus Mississippi State where his 16 point, nine rebound performance helped led the Braves to an 80-78 upset of the Bulldogs. His career came to an end in the second round with a near upset of Bobby Knight?s Indiana Hoosiers as the Braves fell, 73-69.

Believe it or not in the Miss State game it was Fredo who first spoke up when we were down 16 points and reminded everyone that we still had time to win,? said women?s basketball assistant coach and former teammate Gil Thompson, who was the first to discover the news. ?He was a great teammate and although he would get tough on the court I never saw him upset at all off the court, I am deeply sadden by the news.?

With Monroe?s help the Alcorn State Basketball program placed itself on the map in just its second year of existence in Division-I basketball. Alcorn State ranked first in scoring offense (93.5 ppg) and rebound margin (+15.5), fourth in scoring margin (+14.4), seventh in field goal percentage defense (.430), while being tied with eventual national champion runner-up in Larry Bird?s Indiana State Sycamores in win percentage (1.000).

Monroe currently ranks 10th in rebounding with 885 and 18th in all-time scoring with 1,391 points. He succumbed to cancer on June 1 and was buried in his hometown of Kansas City, Missouri on June 7.

?He was a tough competitor that never quit,? said former head coach Davey Whitney. ?We?ll miss him very much.?
read

Back