ALABAMA vs. LOUISIANA

D-NICE said:
In ASU's case I wouldn't say quickly Bart. They've been in the SWAC for over 20 years now, that's not quick at all. I will give ASU props for their recent success in the past 5 years though. You can no longer look at ASU, and say it's an automatic win.

Now you can say that in AAMU's case, because they've been in the conference for 6 years now, and they've become a major player in football, and they've won the conference outright in basketball. Though they haven't won a championship in football, they've been in the championship game twice, and without that 4th quarter meltdown last year in the MCC, they could've possibly been in the big game 3 times in 6 years.

All things considered, they've accomplished a lot in their short time in the SWAC, considering the tradition rich football that's played in the conference. You can make the argument that the SWAC is not the SWAC of old, but at the end of the day, you still have to win the games that you play, and that's no fault of their own, they've managed to become very competitive in a relative short period of time.

In ASU's case, it wasn't always the way it is. Quickly is doing what Hampton did when they joined the MEAC, they went in, and in their 3rd year, they won back to back football championships, and went on the win the basketball crown a few times. That's quickly establishing yourself, and at the same time, they took SC State out of the football equation over there.

NICE

Ok so 20 years in the SWAC would put ASU into the SWAC in 1984-1985. They won the SWAC or at least ran through it in 91 or so didn't they? Didn't take them long to ascend to the top of the SWAC coming from Division II-A no matter how you slice it looks to me.

Bartram said:
Ok so 20 years in the SWAC would put ASU into the SWAC in 1984-1985. They won the SWAC or at least ran through it in 91 or so didn't they? Didn't take them long to ascend to the top of the SWAC coming from Division II-A no matter how you slice it looks to me.

I commend Bama State on their two Championships during that time frame, but moving from DII to the SWAC ain't that big of a leap. There's not a great deal of difference...notice the Turkey Day Classic results.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MikeBigg said:
I commend Bama State on their two Championships during that time frame, but moving from DII to the SWAC ain't that big of a leap. There's not a great deal of difference...notice the Turkey Day Classic results.
thats a bad example to use..... TU and Bama St is a rivalry game... all records are/conferences affiliations are thrown out that game.... I dont think TU could in its current state could survive an entire SWAC season. Last time we played them we won 54-0 and they were undefeated and ranked #5 in the nation.

DAHILL said:
thats a bad example to use..... TU and Bama St is a rivalry game... all records are/conferences affiliations are thrown out that game.... I dont think TU could in its current state could survive an entire SWAC season. Last time we played them we won 54-0 and they were undefeated and ranked #5 in the nation.

Ditto!

Bartram said:

Bart, ASU entered the SWAC in 1982, and it took them 9 years to win their first football title, and it took them another 13 years (although they gave one away in 01) to win their next one, so if that qualifies as quickly displacing someone in your book then so be it bruh.

Mind you, in that same time frame JSU has won the SWAC at least 6 times.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Bart, ASU entered the SWAC in 1982, and it took them 9 years to win their first football title, and it took them another 13 years (although they gave one away in 01) to win their next one, so if that qualifies as quickly displacing someone in your book then so be it bruh.

Mind you, in that same time frame JSU has won the SWAC at least 6 times.

NICE
This really shows the domination of that shinin' star up in the rollin' piney hills of North Louisiana. The Icon has never gone more than 6 years without winning the championship.

Let's not kid ourselves... the SWAC ain't that much ahead of the top DII programs in the country. Some of their players are former DI recruits who are looking for a one year window of opportunity to play. Don't know who won the DII national championship this year, but trust me they could prolly beat most of the SWAC schools (except the ICON of course) :shh:

But that's not knocking the SWAC... but with the number of partial scholarship players we all have and the yearly academic attrition, we ain't that far ahead in terms of talent. Our edge is in facilities, name recognition, and overall fan support.

Back