Agent: Titans want McNair's contract status resolved

Sting

Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was asked to leave the team's training facility when he reported Monday for offseason workouts, his agent and team sources confirmed.

Steve McNair
Quarterback
Tennessee Titans

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
476 292 3027 16 11 82.4

McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract situation is resolved, according to James "Bus" Cook, who represents McNair.

"Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility," said Cook. "Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason."

Cook said there had been no warning of the team's position. Titans sources said it was a decision was made by owner Bud Adams, who apparently fears that an offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who was in Los Angeles observing USC quarterback Matt Leinart in a private workout Monday, declined to elaborate but said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006, including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three-year option. His salary cap charge is almost $24 million, and the team is trying to get McNair to restructure his deal. It has been speculated that the team could release the quarterback if there is not a new contract in place in the near future.

"The reason his cap number is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said. "This guy has done everything for the team, and he has two or three really good years left. Now, they treat him like this."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2395953

It doesn't matter if you are T.O. or McNair, the thought process is always the same..................

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
John Clayton reported this morning that Tennessee is leaning toward drafting Vince Young, which makes no sense to treat McNair like that, since Young looks up to McNair.

Mighty Dog, you hit the nail on the head. You think the Packers would do that schit to Brett Favre? They tell Brett "you need to let us know if you're playing this season, and we need to know by Saturday," he said OK, this coming Saturday will be a week after there demand, and still no word from Brett, and the Packers still haven't done schit about it.

Say what you want about TO, but he has the right idea, get what you can get, while you can get it, because once you turn 30, you're only as good as your last game. The more schit like this happens, the harder it gets to be pissed at TO (at least for his salary demands), love the money, love the game, but not the team.

Steve should tell the Titans to go phugg themselves, and force their hand. If they cut him, there are a number of teams that would love his services. After doing what they did, there's no way in heyell I'd restructure my contract for them. After all the schit Mac has done for that franchise, and to be treated like he's the equipment manager is phugged up.

But, the Titans did it to Eddie George, the 49ers ran Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, and Joe Montana out of town, the Colts Johnny Unitas, and the Jets Joe Namath, so I guess Mac is no different.

NICE

OK, I can understand the Colts letting Johnny Unitas go. Joe Namath was at the end of his road. (He played his last game in game six on a Monday night.) But they will not even let McNair work out at the facility. This looks like Bud has his hands all over this. Someone in Houston is telling someone in Nashville "I told you so" about Bud.

Damn shame. :smh:

You can say what you want about Al Davis, but the man don't treat his players like that. Marcus Allen is the only Raider that had a problem with Al.

Well hopefully they will fix the contract to where everyone is happy if not look for somebody to get him. Which I think really wouldn't be all that bad.

ASU2002 said:
Well hopefully they will fix the contract to where everyone is happy if not look for somebody to get him. Which I think really wouldn't be all that bad.

This whole scenario is pretty messed up! McNair (Air McNair) deserves better treatment than this. The more you think about it, maybe what T.O did right about using extreme measures to get more money.

These teams and owners and sometimes fans treat black athletes unfairly. As great as Micheal Jordan was, he wasn't treated fairly near the end of his career. Barry Bonds is being treated like crap by some fans and he has not be proven guilty of anything. :lecture:

The difference between McNair and T.O. is it is not about money, we know that by McNair restructuring his contract three times for the good of the team and and this is the thanks he gets. Played hurt with injurues that most other QB's would have sat out and has done all he's done with only one Pro Bowl material WR. Even when the money problem is not taken care of, McNair still comes to Workout Complex to work out with the team and is not threatening to sit out for the year and is doing all he can to help the Titans get back to the Superbowland then is told not to come to camp until the contract sisuation is taken of. It is the Titans fault for not mananging the cap well and pushing his money back knowing that this day would come that McNair would count 24 Million aganist the cap and now don't want to pay the money owed to a class player like McNair. Guys, please don't even compare McNair to T.O. That is like comparing Bush to Gandi. :read:

wahines said:
The difference between McNair and T.O. is it is not about money, we know that by McNair restructuring his contract three times for the good of the team and and this is the thanks he gets. Played hurt with injurues that most other QB's would have sat out and has done all he's done with only one Pro Bowl material WR. Even when the money problem is not taken care of, McNair still comes to Workout Complex to work out with the team and is not threatening to sit out for the year and is doing all he can to help the Titans get back to the Superbowland then is told not to come to camp until the contract sisuation is taken of. It is the Titans fault for not mananging the cap well and pushing his money back knowing that this day would come that McNair would count 24 Million aganist the cap and now don't want to pay the money owed to a class player like McNair. Guys, please don't even compare McNair to T.O. That is like comparing Bush to Gandi. :read:

co-sign

No comparision between T.O. and McNair. When T.O. got the money HE asked for in Philly, what did he do, acted the biggest arse in the history of team sports. Don't insult McNair by comparing him to T. O. T.O. is just an arsehole, period. T.O. did his dirtiest work not to management to get more money, but to his friend McNabb, who help get him there (and his money). I have yet to see what Mcnabb did to T.O. to justify that.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Lewis said:
No comparision between T.O. and McNair. When T.O. got the money HE asked for in Philly, what did he do, acted the biggest arse in the history of team sports. Don't insult McNair by comparing him to T. O. T.O. is just an arsehole, period. T.O. did his dirtiest work not to management to get more money, but to his friend McNabb, who help get him there (and his money). I have yet to see what Mcnabb did to T.O. to justify that.

I am cosigning this!

wahines said:

I totally agree with everything you said. McNair has been a great team player and the Titans are just sticking it to him. His receivers since he has been there (outside of Mason) wouldn't even be on some NFL rosters.

My comparison to TO is not about playing styles, or being a good teammate. In my post I said as far as TO's salary demands are concerned, I can't be pissed at him, and when stuff like this happens to good players, and teammates like Steve McNair how can you be pissed at TO for demanding more money seemingly every year, or looking for a team that's going to pay him his worth.

Call him selfish, or an arsehole if you want, but the way the NFL treats good players who're great teammates, and great in the community, I can't blame TO FOR DEMANDING MORE MONEY yearly, because when the team can't get anymore out of you, they don't care what you did, or sacrificed for the team, and the organization. Steve never argued with management over money, showed up when he was supposed to, and look what it's gotten him. You're not welcome here, until you take a pay cut.

The Titans did the same thing with Eddie George. Before McNair developed into the quarterback he is, that franchise ran Eddie in the ground, and in the process he never complained; he played hurt, and didn't miss a game if I'm not mistaken, waited until the season was over to have surgery, instead of doing it during the year, and show up for the offseason programs, and what did it get him? A one way ticket out of town, when he wouldn't restructure his contract.

You can say what you want about TO, but dude recognizes how the business is run, and refuses to let the NFL use him up, as it's done to so many other players, and in this case Steve McNair.

NICE

D-NICE said:
The Titans did the same thing with Eddie George. Before McNair developed into the quarterback he is, that franchise ran Eddie in the ground, and in the process he never complained; he played hurt, and didn't miss a game if I'm not mistaken, waited until the season was over to have surgery, instead of doing it during the year, and show up for the offseason programs, and what did it get him? A one way ticket out of town, when he wouldn't restructure his contract.
NICE

You are right on there. :smh: I believe they shortened his career a couple of years.

D-NICE said:
My comparison to TO is not about playing styles, or being a good teammate. In my post I said as far as TO's salary demands are concerned, I can't be pissed at him, and when stuff like this happens to good players, and teammates like Steve McNair how can you be pissed at TO for demanding more money seemingly every year, or looking for a team that's going to pay him his worth.

Call him selfish, or an arsehole if you want, but the way the NFL treats good players who're great teammates, and great in the community, I can't blame TO FOR DEMANDING MORE MONEY yearly, because when the team can't get anymore out of you, they don't care what you did, or sacrificed for the team, and the organization. Steve never argued with management over money, showed up when he was supposed to, and look what it's gotten him. You're not welcome here, until you take a pay cut.

You can say what you want about TO, but dude recognizes how the business is run, and refuses to let the NFL use him up, as it's done to so many other players, and in this case Steve McNair.

NICE

Co-Sign this is the truest statement on here.

D-Nice, the only problem with what you said is the fact that that's what the players wanted. Now what I mean by that is back years ago, most teams would keep thier stars to the end, but the players wanted free agency and certain percentage of all that was made (now think about it, do you get a certain percentage of what YOUR company makes, or do you get your salary, no matter what it is????) Well, this is the flip side of that, if want to win, it takes money to get the players needed to win and you can't put to much in one spot. You don't get something for nothing. I really don't feel, however, the Titians indented to disrespect McNair, although (with the help of the messy media) it ended up like that.

Now with that said, do I have a lot of repect for McNair and what he has accomplished. YES. DO I want to see him in this situation, NO. Should his agent have handled this better (knowing that the team (and most any team) will not take a $24 million hit on the salary cap. YES. This is a business.

Now what does that have to do with T.O. whining like a bia and backstabbing everyone in sight (with no color bias) to get more money AFTER THEY PAYED HIM WHAT HE AGREED TO. Nothing.

Lewis said:
Now what does that have to do with T.O. whining like a bia and backstabbing everyone in sight (with no color bias) to get more money AFTER THEY PAYED HIM WHAT HE AGREED TO. Nothing.

Though I don't agree with the way TO puts his teammates under the bus (mainly his quarterbacks), I don't have a problem with him asking for more money even though is contract isn't up. If teams are not going to pay you the contract that you sign, and cut you when the big money in the contract starts to roll around, then why should a player be expected to honor the contract until the team is ready to cut them, because they're going to count too much against the cap?

To be honest, I don't see where Steve's agent messed up. If anything the Titans should've called him, and told him what their intentions were instead of letting Mac report to the training facility, with a you're not welcome here message waiting on him.

This situation has nothing to do with the media, they only reported what Steve's agent told them. You have to admit that it's a story worth telling though, honestly do you think the Packers would take this stand with Brett Favre (they can't even get Brett to return their calls), or the Colts with Peyton Manning?

I don't know if the Titans deliberately set out to disrespect Mac, or not, but it sure seems that way, because management could've handled this in a way that the media wouldn't have even known what's going on, but they didn't, and it came off as disrespectful, and IMO ungrateful.

NICE

D-Nice, we are not really on opposite sides here. But here is my point. Let's say you were in the NFL right now, and a free agent. Now your agent, (Or if you are repesenting yourself you), have to know that the player agreement has lots of stuff in it for BOTH sides. You as a player can go shop around to get the best deal, but on the other side, a team may cut you any given season. YOU KNOW THIS WHEN YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT. So you negotiate with that in mind. Now, 2 years later if the team cuts you, THEY HAVE NOT BROKEN THE CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT SAYS THEY CAN DO THAT. If you want more money after 1 year, that is simple, SIGN A 1 YEAR DEAL.

T.O. (being as smart as he claims to be) knew exactly what he signed when he did, and he so low down that he threw his teamates and QB under the bus to try to get more (again, after he agree with what he got at first) and probably f***** everyone on the Eagles out of a lot of more money when he tore the team down. I understand your point, but I am sorry, I can't twist any good out of what T.O. did.

Apr. 8, 2006 - 11:08 p.m. ET

ESPN's Ed Werder reports that the NFLPA will file a grievance regarding the Titans' decision to prevent Steve McNair from training with team.

As best we can understand, it's an open and shut case in favor of McNair. He has a valid contract for 2006, so preventing him from working out for fear of injury isn't allowed. This should expedite McNair's release and possible move to Baltimore.

PV-PRIDE said:
Apr. 8, 2006 - 11:08 p.m. ET

ESPN's Ed Werder reports that the NFLPA will file a grievance regarding the Titans' decision to prevent Steve McNair from training with team.

As best we can understand, it's an open and shut case in favor of McNair. He has a valid contract for 2006, so preventing him from working out for fear of injury isn't allowed. This should expedite McNair's release and possible move to Baltimore.

I guess loyalty means nothing in sports these days

Back