AAMU -vs- Oakland in play in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
BandFan said:
Didnt SU beat Tulane some years ago?

What was SU's ranking.....15?
We were ranked as high as 21 in the top 25 poll in 1991. I know we beat no. 5 Georgia not sure about Tulane.

When SU beat Ga Tech, they were like a 12 or 13 seed. That team team would not have had to deal with a play in game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SUjagTILLiDIE said:
UNC is the worst case senirio for AAMU. Unc and aamu play the same style ball and UNC has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better athletes. AAMU best chance would have been a team that likes to slow the ball down and play half court. Then if aamu would have made it an uptempo game they would have had a chance. But against those 6 nba players noway.
Our guards can go head up with UNC's, but our front court is were we are lacking. Obie Trotter, Marus Jones, Rickey Ricketts, and Marcus Young will hold down the guard spots. We will get killed on the boards, but we can make it respectable (if Chris Collins plays like he did against JSU). And most importantly we need our perimeter game to click like it was in the championship game against Bama State. As long as that is working we won't have too much of a worry about trying to win the inside game.

mighty hornet said:
again, congrats to A&M. You had a very good showing this wknd.

but I stopped reading right there.
:(

MH dont pay Mr. SWAC no attention lol... sometimes he let pride overshadow reality... our guards are SWAC good.... but hell they couldnt outplay Tenn States .... they shut all of our guards down....UNC's walk ons would be stars on our team.

DAHILL said:
MH dont pay Mr. SWAC no attention lol... sometimes he let pride overshadow reality... our guards are SWAC good.... but hell they couldnt outplay Tenn States .... they shut all of our guards down....UNC's walk ons would be stars on our team.
Finally somebody keeping it real

Obie Trotter and Marcus Jones CAN go up with UNC's guards. Obie's #s didn't go down one bit when we were playing Tx A&M, UGA, etc. Don't get what I'm saying and get confused. Ricketts and Young would provide good "backup" players.

Mr SWAC,
Tx A&M and UGA "aint no" UNC.
Especially, in a tournament game to be held in Charlotte.
c'mon now.

but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. I hope we don't think that the game tomorrow night is already in the bag, just because of Oakland's record.

btw, I just looked at their roster and they have a 6'7" guard who avgs. close to 20 points a game.

mighty hornet said:
Mr SWAC,

but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. I hope we don't think that the game tomorrow night is already in the bag, just because of Oakland's record.

EXACTLY... I am focused on tommorow's game not a UNC game that may not even happen.

I don't think Oakie is gonna' be a push over game. You don't get to this level of the game while being "e-z." They beat a SOLID Oral Roberts team (22-8 I think) that was as good as they come. (I know one of their players and that kid can str8 up ball but due to grades and other issues OU backed off of him)

I'll be pulling like hell for AAMU tomorrow night! :tup:

Let's go Bulldogs!!!! :tup:

DAHILL said:
EXACTLY... I am focused on tommorow's game not a UNC game that may not even happen.
I'm not looking ahead to anyone. If you look at my post I was replying to what SUjagTILiDIE posted. I know all to well the possibilities of us losing in the play-in game.

I think if we play like we did Sun. we have a good chance of winning. That pressure defense can break you if your not use to playing against it. I still wouldn't over look Oakland, but our kids our in a zone just like Oaklands so who knows what will happen.

2 Things:

1. Congrats AAMU. :tup:

2. To HE!! with this so called play in game. Everyone knows that was instituted to keep the HBCU's from upsetting the "Power Schools."(Remember Coppin State??) We need to come together and ban this play in game once and for all.

AAMU, ya'll won the SWAC tourney and ya'll should not have to play another game just to get in!!

It's not right and we need to do something about it!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The play-in game isn't as much an issue with me, as is the fact that we have to play a team that doesn't even have a winning record! :mad: Now if that ain't some NCAA bull****, I don't know what is!!

I look at it like this. If we are better, then we will win. And there's nothing you can do right now, but take those lemons and make "lemonade" out of it. If we win the play-in game then we are GUARANTEED a 4th game on NATIONAL TV. And it just gets better every time; Semifinals: ESPNU, SWAC Championship: ESPN2, Play-in: ESPN (Primetime), and 1st Round Regionals: ESPN (Primetime).

This is a time for AAMU to get MAXIMUM EXPOSURE for ourselves, and for our conference. If we belong in the 64 than we will beat a below .500 team.

As long as the Pups play an up-tempo game, they should be able to beat Oakland. If you let the Grizzlies slow the game down, it could be trouble. They play a decent halfcourt game but they don't particularly like to do a lot of running. Their bench is also not that deep so if you keep that pressure D on them, it shouldn't be too hard to get the win.

BandFan said:
Can they beat Duke right? NO, they couldn't even beat GT

Can they beat Washington right now? HELL NO!!!!

Can they beat Illinois right now..........Stop smoking.

UNC is the most unstable of the No. 1s.

THANK YOU !!! UNC is good but they nut up against pressure. AAMu may have to keep them in a hafl court nad not try to run with them. This is where you see real coaching. If aamu coach tries to run with unc i know our conference is way behind in terms of coaching bball. MAKE THEM PLAY A HALF COURT GAME !!SLOW TH EGAME DOWN FOR THEM AND FRUSTRATE THEM. MCCANTS HAS NO PATIENCE IN A HALF COURT SET. UNC IS THE WEAKEST OF THE 1 SEEDS. wHOEVER SAID DUKE WAS IN THE SAME BOWL IS CRAZY AS HELL . Coach k can coach his azz off. I hate duke but he can coach point blank. UNC WILL FALL BEFORE THE ELITE 8 GETS HERE .

STC_60 said:
THANK YOU !!! UNC is good but they nut up against pressure. AAMu may have to keep them in a hafl court nad not try to run with them. This is where you see real coaching. If aamu coach tries to run with unc i know our conference is way behind in terms of coaching bball. MAKE THEM PLAY A HALF COURT GAME !!SLOW TH EGAME DOWN FOR THEM AND FRUSTRATE THEM. MCCANTS HAS NO PATIENCE IN A HALF COURT SET. UNC IS THE WEAKEST OF THE 1 SEEDS. wHOEVER SAID DUKE WAS IN THE SAME BOWL IS CRAZY AS HELL . Coach k can coach his azz off. I hate duke but he can coach point blank. UNC WILL FALL BEFORE THE ELITE 8 GETS HERE .

LOL at the UNC being weakest 1 seed. So what happened to Duke against Maryland and Va Tech or against UNC with a 10 point lead with less than 3 minutes to go? They lost each of those, swept by NIT bound Maryland. Sounds like choke to me. pot.....kettle..........black. By the way this probably the most overated Duke program ever. Coach K aint going to be able to help them this year. They will be gone before NC will.

Sorry to AAMU for highjacking the thread again.........Good luck against Oakland. The SWAC will be pulling for ya.

Based on what I saw at the SWAC Tournament, AAMU is the best representation from our conference. They should be congratulated and I'm confident that they will do a fine job representing us. Everyone knows that our schools aren't getting the kind of talent they use to get down the street. They are now at the Duke's, North Carolina's, Alabama's, Auburn, Florida's, etc.

But when you see a player such as O.B. Trotter (Mentally tough, smart, and talented) and Joe Martin (Undersized but not Under-Talented), it's make me proud to be a SWAC Alumnus. Our schools gradually lost our talented players but with the right attitude (the fans) we can help get them back. Mr. Basketball of Mississippi for two years in a row decided to become a SWAC player. Just think how smart a coach would look if he had Montae Ellis (Mr. Basketball 2005) on his team.

I'M ROOTING FOR U - DAWGS!!!!! Play your game and see what happens.

Jax1906 said:
2 Things:

1. Congrats AAMU. :tup:

2. To HE!! with this so called play in game. Everyone knows that was instituted to keep the HBCU's from upsetting the "Power Schools."(Remember Coppin State??) We need to come together and ban this play in game once and for all.

AAMU, ya'll won the SWAC tourney and ya'll should not have to play another game just to get in!!

It's not right and we need to do something about it!

Ditto. The biggest recruiting tool the major conferences have is their five, six, or maybe seven invitations into the tournament. When you add up the millions made for their conference by just inviting these schools into the tournament, you see how easy recruiting becomes.

I remember when Valley almost beat Duke and Alcorn took a Patrick Ewing's Georgetown team to the wire before losing by five points. The NCAA knew what they were doing by forming this "Play-In Game." They are just saying "We are inviting you to our tournament, sort of."

All I ask that our conference do is not become complacent with getting one team into the the tournament, "sort of."

JR said:
LOL at the UNC being weakest 1 seed. So what happened to Duke against Maryland and Va Tech or against UNC with a 10 point lead with less than 3 minutes to go? They lost each of those, swept by NIT bound Maryland. Sounds like choke to me. pot.....kettle..........black. By the way this probably the most overated Duke program ever. Coach K aint going to be able to help them this year. They will be gone before NC will.

Sorry to AAMU for highjacking the thread again.........Good luck against Oakland. The SWAC will be pulling for ya.

Watch the tourney and see for yourself. I would be surprised if unc makes to the sweet 16. They are talented as hell but they nut up in presure time.
If aamu has to run i pray they hit their shots and cause unc loves to run. Maybe petway can install a half court set jsut for unc if aamu beats oakland today. Running with a running team usually spells trouble.

I went to the University of Dayton Arena last night to catch the Bulldog's practice but missed them. I do want to commend the Bulldog Family in Dayton because they were right there to extend the welcome mat. I did stay for an half an hour to see Oakland shoot around. They do have a lot more big guys on their team than what we have. I think their coach is alittle too cocky with their record. The news media on one or two channels interview Vann and Oakland which was good. The Uni of Dayton coach also ticked me off because he thinks his old coach will send us home packing. We definitely need to work our pressure defense on them, work the boards and ensure Obie, Jones, Ricketts and Young take good shots. :bump:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back