2008 Olympics: Notes, Stories & Observations

I guess "Project 119" Voo Doo got to the Jamaican team too and helped the Russian team but didn't help the host Chinese team. :rolleyes:

Jamaica mishandles; Russia gets gold
By The Associated Press
Posted Friday, August 22, 2008 6:34 AM ET
BEIJING - Russia won the women's 4x100m relay in an upset after hot-favorite Jamaica had a mixup at the second change.

Russia won in 42.31 seconds, with world championship bronze medalist Belgium getting silver and Nigeria picking up bronze in Friday's final.

Russia qualified fastest for the final in a national record 41.49.

But the powerful Jamaican team, featuring two-time Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell-Brown and led off by 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser, was aiming for a fifth straight sprint gold medal in Beijing.

Jamaica won the women's and men's 100m and 200m titles -- with Usain Bolt winning both men's races in world-record time.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/news/newsid=247773.html#beijing+baton+bite+jamaicans

Track leader not happy with U.S. relay debacle
By The Associated Press
Posted Friday, August 22, 2008 4:36 AM ET

BEIJING (AP) -- The leader of USA Track and Field said the federation will conduct a "comprehensive review" of the way it trains and coaches its relay teams after the men's and women's 4x100m relay teams each blew medal chances by dropping the baton in Olympic qualifying.

American men's and women's 4x100m relay teams drop the baton and do not advance to the finals. In his weekly blog on the USATF Web site, CEO Doug Logan said he has received a number of e-mails from fans saying the dropped batons in both relays Thursday were "reflective of a lack of preparation, lack of professionalism, and of leadership."

"I agree," Logan wrote Friday. "Dropping a baton isn't bad luck, it's bad execution. Responsibility for the relay debacle lies with many people and many groups, from administration to coaches to athletes. That's why, when these Games are completed, we will conduct a comprehensive review of all our programs."

Darvis Patton and Tyson Gay missed on the final exchange in the men's semifinal heat. Gay worked on exchanges with Patton in Beijing but was not present at the U.S. track team's training camp in Dalian, China, where two full practices were dedicated to baton passing.
Torri Edwards and Lauryn Williams bobbled the last exchange in the women's race.

The men missed the final for the first time since 1988, and the second since 1912, and the women for the first time since 1948.

It means the U.S. will go 0-for-6 in Olympic sprint events -- 100, 200 or relay -- for the first time ever.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackand...tml#track+leader+happy+with+u+s+relay+debacle

PROJECT "119": not for non-thinkers...

Did U all pro-"american" lol athletes find that men's baton y'all dropped yet? :confused: What about the women's baton? How's the weather in Beijing right now (9:27am CST here in Texas, USA)? Isn't it 10:27pm there, what are you guys doing right now besides posting? :swink:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

PROJECT "119": not for non-thinkers...

Did U all pro-"american" lol athletes find that men's baton y'all dropped yet? :confused: What about the women's baton? How's the weather in Beijing right now (9:27am CST here in Texas, USA)? Isn't it 10:27pm there, what are you guys doing right now besides posting? :swink:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dude.....it aint like the Chinese won those events. That Project 119 meant to get that many gold medals......which they will not. Actually the way it is looking they may not be able to win the overall medal count from the US. The Chinese will never dominate certain sports. They will never beat the white boys from here or the Euro countries in swimming. Not going to happen. Definitely not going to win many track events. Maybe some field events like shot put or javelin. LOL. We know basketball is out the question. So is beating our women in stuff like soccer and volleyball. We had a bad year in track and field this time. We will be fine in London. BTW, watch the British get revenge for some of their losses in China this year. I predict China to finish 3rd in the London Olympics. Home field advantage helped key some of their wins.

Jamaica: Women mishandle, men manhandle in 4x100m
By The Associated Press
Posted Friday, August 22, 2008 6:34 AM ET

BEIJING - Usain Bolt helped Jamaica win the 4x100m relay final in 37.10 seconds Friday night for his third gold medal and third world record of the Olympics.

Bolt ran the third leg of the relay, then handed the baton to former 100m world record-holder Asafa Powell. Bolt yelled and pointed as Powell began the anchor leg.

The Jamaican quartet, which also included Nesta CARTER and Michael FRATER, eclipsed the old 400 relay mark of 37.40 set by the United States at the Barcelona Olympics in the 1992 and tied by the U.S. at the world championships a year later.

Bolt added that to the records he set in winning the 100m (9.69) and 200m (19.30) in Beijing.

The Jamaicans were nearly a full second faster than relay silver medalists Trinidad and Tobago, which finished in 38.06. Japan took the bronze in 38.15.

The United States failed to reach the men's 4x100m relay final when it dropped the baton during qualifying Thursday.

Congrats Jamaica on your gold medal and world record. :tup:

Dude.....it aint like the Chinese won those events. That Project 119 meant to get that many gold medals......which they will not. Actually the way it is looking they may not be able to win the overall medal count from the US. The Chinese will never dominate certain sports. They will never beat the white boys from here or the Euro countries in swimming. Not going to happen. Definitely not going to win many track events. Maybe some field events like shot put or javelin. LOL. We know basketball is out the question. So is beating our women in stuff like soccer and volleyball. We had a bad year in track and field this time. We will be fine in London. BTW, watch the British get revenge for some of their losses in China this year. I predict China to finish 3rd in the London Olympics. Home field advantage helped key some of their wins.

Did U take note of that one T&F guy who is the perrenial <b>110m HH :rolleyes:</b> champ? I'm not a betting man but I'd bet a dime to a dollar we'll see more of his "kind" in the near future as they continue to find "ways" to advance their athletic presence(s) in 'non-traditional' Chinese sports. Question, did "Project 119" (now 123 lol) do what it was created to do? I'm almost certain they had an inkling they wouldn't win all 119 (123) gold medals but look @ what transpired from yr2000 to yr2008 in terms of their gold, silver, and bronze count(s). :read: Also, who leads in the overall gold medal count? :read:

Right. :smh: Go wave your american flag, cry tears of sadness, and sing the USA nat'l anthem w/ the others who got their hearts broken over the last few. lol

P~, what happened to that Chinese hurdler that was supposed to challenge the US for the gold in the 110M Hurdles. Wasn't he supposed to be a part of that 119?

BTW, watch the British get revenge for some of their losses in China this year. I predict China to finish 3rd in the London Olympics. Home field advantage helped key some of their wins.

Now, I believe that this is true.

LOL @ Panth!!

It was because there were 119 events where they did not win any medals in 2000 and 2004. They focused their training on those events more and the goal was to compete and win medals in some of those events.

Did U take note of that one T&F guy who is the perrenial <b>110m HH :rolleyes:</b> champ? I'm not a betting man but I'd bet a dime to a dollar we'll see more of his "kind" in the near future as they continue to find "ways" to advance their athletic presence(s) in 'non-traditional' Chinese sports. Question, did "Project 119" (now 123 lol) do what it was created to do? I'm almost certain they had an inkling they wouldn't win all 119 (123) gold medals but look @ what transpired from yr2000 to yr2008 in terms of their gold, silver, and bronze count(s). :read: Also, who leads in the overall gold medal count? :read:

Right. :smh: Go wave your american flag, cry tears of sadness, and sing the USA nat'l anthem w/ the others who got their hearts broken over the last few. lol

You damn right I will waive the American flag and we are still superior athletically to the Chinese. Make no mistake about it. They got a little homecooking this year and still will finish second to us overall in medal count........like I said......watch how bad they do in London 2012.........bet on that.

cornel_west_lg.jpg

"So Panth, there are some on this board that consider you Anti-Patriotic. What are your feelings on this matter?"

LOL!!!

It was because there were 119 events where they did not win any medals in 2000 and 2004. They focused their training on those events more and the goal was to compete and win medals in some of those events.
Actually it refers to the number of gold medals given in T&F, swimming, rowing, sailing and kayak/canoe. They won only one medal in those sports at the 2000 Sydney games, and decided to get their weight up in those events by the time these Olympics started.

Actually it refers to the number of gold medals given in T&F, swimming, rowing, sailing and kayak/canoe. They won only one medal in those sports at the 2000 Sydney games, and decided to get their weight up in those events by the time these Olympics started.

Yep that is what I read as well. I know they got one is rowing dethroning the British team.........how well have they done in those other events? Anybody got the tally?

I still say they wouldn't have won as many medals as they have if the games were not in China. 2012 will prove that.

Yeah that. Same thing. :lol:

P~, what happened to that Chinese hurdler that was supposed to challenge the US for the gold in the 110M Hurdles. Wasn't he supposed to be a part of that 119?

Yes, this is true. His achilles cost him the victory. No way ol' boy from Cuba would stay w/ that dude.

But, did you see the Chinese guy's build? Not a <b>traditional</b> build for someone of Chinese origin. That's the point I'm trying to make. :read: I expect to see them make gains in the sprints very, very soon. Maybe they'll secure coaching 'talent' from the USA or Jamaica to help in that regard. :read:

Men's basketball (real-time): 73-55 USA.

Chris Paul grabs a rebound, races straight down court to the hoop, and is fouled while laying it up. Wade dunks after the whistle blows and the crowd cheers for that as if it counted, but it didn?t. Paul hits one of two. 74-55 USA.

Yes, this is true. His achilles cost him the victory. No way ol' boy from Cuba would stay w/ that dude.

Now you have solidified that you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Robles is the World Record Holder (since June 2008) in the 110's and have beaten Liu Xiang head up.

Cuba?s Dayton Robles won the 110 at the Golden Spike Invitational in 12.87, besting China?s Liu Xiang by one one thousandth of a second. This sets up one hell of a race in Beijing.

Now you have solidified that you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Robles is the World Record Holder (since June 2008) in the 110's and have beaten Liu Xiang head up.

Excuse me, did Chinese dude run in the race or in the imaginary race in your head? My opinion SAID that NO WAY ol' Cuban dude would STAY w/ Chinese dude @ home running in HIS backyard.

I won't get off into that "solidified" sh*t because you don't know the meaning or origin of the word. lol

Go wave your american flag and pick that baton up y'all dropped recently. BTW, how's the weather in Beijing? lol

Men's basketball: Another lovely pass from Kidd to Howard under the basket for a jam. James follows with a 2. 88-69 USA.

Back