2006 JSU FOOTBALL: Scholarship shuffle part of Comegy's rebuilding plan

Robber said:
Remember that scholarships are one year contracts. The school doesn't have to give you one the next season. May not be fair, but that's the system they operate under. And honestly, most of the guys that lost their scholly knew it was gonna happen.

The NCAA does not allow you to sign more than 28 players per year. Johnny Major and Bear Bryant use to sign 90 players per season until the NCAA put in the rule. A NCAA institution also has to fully fund freshman and 1st year JUCO scholarships. They can not split those players scholarships. Now for
2nd year players and upward, they are at the mercy of the coach. Apparently, many of J State transfers do not count because they enrolled before the new academic year.

I know for a fact, when Comegy annouced the 55 players as signees, complaints were filed with the conference office. Does the release of perspective players names to the media or the signing of letters of intent count as a one year contract? If so, they have to be honored if the students met all their academic requirements.

I have always wondered how GSU got away with this. Maybe the new SID (TBF) can enlighten us.

JC

I didn't think that rule applied to D1AA. I know it doesn't apply to D2. Both of these divisions allow scholarships to be broken up into "equivalencies".

One of the Jackson State Fans on this thread (I think it was JST) mentioned that "Comegy's staffs knows how to call plays". I found this to be an interesting statement.

At TU Comegy turned over all offensive play calling to coach Woody the O coordinator. Comegy is a defensive guy (watch for your defense to be very aggressive...sometimes to a fault). Coach Woody's offenses were always high scoring and high yardage gainers, but he would make strange play calling decisions in games sometimes. They could be very fustrating. I think if you were to poll TU fans, you would find Comegy's "approval rating" very high, but Woody's "approval rating" low. I will be interested to see if in the coming years Jackson State fans feel the same. Good Luck.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Shelt a 'Skegee Grad said:
JC

I didn't think that rule applied to D1AA. I know it doesn't apply to D2. Both of these divisions allow scholarships to be broken up into "equivalencies".

One of the Jackson State Fans on this thread (I think it was JST) mentioned that "Comegy's staffs knows how to call plays". I found this to be an interesting statement.

At TU Comegy turned over all offensive play calling to coach Woody the O coordinator. Comegy is a defensive guy (watch for your defense to be very aggressive...sometimes to a fault). Coach Woody's offenses were always high scoring and high yardage gainers, but he would make strange play calling decisions in games sometimes. They could be very fustrating. I think if you were to poll TU fans, you would find Comegy's "approval rating" very high, but Woody's "approval rating" low. I will be interested to see if in the coming years Jackson State fans feel the same. Good Luck.

This info was told to me by another SWAC coach. We need a clarification, maybe Jafus or others can give us an interpretation. Allowing schools to sign 55 players would make a mockery of the game. Giving new players partial scholarships probably would put most institutions at a disadvantage particularly if you only have 63 to give out.

Now we know what Comegy did at Skeegee with scholarship monies from other sports. I don't think he can do that at D1a nor would JSU approve of that action.

I concur with your assessment of Woody and Comegy re: play calling.

Shelt a 'Skegee Grad said:

At TU Comegy turned over all offensive play calling to coach Woody the O coordinator. Comegy is a defensive guy (watch for your defense to be very aggressive...sometimes to a fault). Coach Woody's offenses were always high scoring and high yardage gainers, but he would make strange play calling decisions in games sometimes. They could be very fustrating.

No, watching James Bell was very frustrating and strange play calling was the norm for him. Heck, if Comegy can just get the play called on time he already has Bell beat. And I like a defense that takes chances as opposed to the matador defense with disappearing linebackers who never blitz or drop back in coverage under Bell. The problems that you are talking are seen on nearly every SWAC coaching staff. I don't know how many times I have been sitting in the stands watching a SWAC head coach make a questionable decision in a key moment in a game.

Mr. Tiger said:
No, watching James Bell was very frustrating and strange play calling was the norm for him. Heck, if Comegy can just get the play called on time he already has Bell beat. And I like a defense that takes chances as opposed to the matador defense with disappearing linebackers who never blitz or drop back in coverage under Bell. The problems that you are talking are seen on nearly every SWAC coaching staff. I don't know how many times I have been sitting in the stands watching a SWAC head coach make a questionable decision in a key moment in a game.
Why must you continue to tell the truth?

J C said:
I know for a fact, when Comegy annouced the 55 players as signees, complaints were filed with the conference office. Does the release of perspective players names to the media or the signing of letters of intent count as a one year contract? If so, they have to be honored if the students met all their academic requirements.
Did you read the article???

JC, I have been trying to think this through as well. Lord knows we don't need to get into any trouble. I do think that 1-AA schools can give out partials to incoming freshmen. Also, remember that we are not dealing with 55 players....only around 30. We never expected all 55 to qualify. Most HBCU's have only about 1/3 of their incoming classes to qualify. I don't know how the mid-year transfers figure into this either. Hopefully, Comegy and staff have been in the rule book because you know these SWAC coaches will report you in a minute especially when Comegy kicks that azz.

JSU/99 said:
Doug Williams would sign 40+ players even after he got Grambling back on track.

I don't mind him signing players at all. Its goin to look for transfers who are not even impact transfers to fill a spot over kid he recruited. I have no problem with impact transfers but just trying to build depth with transfers will rub alot of folks the wrong way and especially these kids parents.

I don't care if you sign 40 hs kids and get a FEW IMPACT TRANSFERS!!!!

If the team is good then build it with hs kids and some impact transfers but not every transfer who looks GOOD ON PAPER !!!

I COULD GO ON BUT I DIGRESS...............................

If i had a son who highly recruited out of hs and chose to go to a 1aa school and has potential and talent but everyear a transfer who has had an OKAY career seems to just snatch my son's scholarship that would rub me the wrong way too.

BELIEVE ME IT IS HAPPENING !!!!!!

STC_60 said:
I don't mind him signing players at all. Its goin to look for transfers who are not even impact transfers to fill a spot over kid he recruited. I have no problem with impact transfers but just trying to build depth with transfers will rub alot of folks the wrong way and especially these kids parents.

I don't care if you sign 40 hs kids and get a FEW IMPACT TRANSFERS!!!!

If the team is good then build it with hs kids and some impact transfers but not every transfer who looks GOOD ON PAPER !!!

I COULD GO ON BUT I DIGRESS...............................

If i had a son who highly recruited out of hs and chose to go to a 1aa school and has potential and talent but everyear a transfer who has had an OKAY career seems to just snatch my son's scholarship that would rub me the wrong way too.

BELIEVE ME IT IS HAPPENING !!!!!!

What has Doug started?????

Blacknbengal said:
What has Doug started?????

Nothing really.

Like i said he saw the team did not have the talent needed to excel whe he took over. He had every right ot cut some folks who were just on the team. Once the program got back rolling he got some IMPACT transfers to add on. I once read where doug said he was not too high on getting alot of transfers and he wanted to build the program wit hs recruits.

I guess when good kids get their scholly cut or taken for someone who has never heard of grambling kinda rubs me the wrong way. Why recurit these hs kids then? Any school that is doing this just rubs me the wrong way. Steve spurrier also gave some of those kids their scholarships back AFTER THE SC HS COACHES DRAFTED A PETITION TO NOT LET ANY OF THEIR PLAYERS VISIT OR TALK TO SPURRIER AND THAT CHANGED SPURRIER WAY OF THINKING!!

That preivious team was terrible at south carolina and hs coaches was still upset at spurrier.

I can see on a revious bad team (see JSU last year) but on a good team with potential and on a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!!!

I understand you have to have the players but it makes no nvermind if the coaches jsut throw them outthere withno direction.

I JUST DON'T AGREE !!!!!

Where have some of you been? College sports is littered with players who were promised starting spots and labeled "THE NEXT BIG THING" only to fall out of favor through no fault of their own and lose their scholarships.
Here in Mississippi, Southern Mississippi's basketball team had a completely different roster two years in a row. The team was terrible so the new coach yanked scholarships and signed a whole new crop. The next season, the team was just as bad so he yanked scholarships from players that HE signed.
The coach before him did the same thing. And matter of fact he is Valley's coach now, James Green.
The big schools have been doing this for years. Some coaches in the SEC just demote a player they no longer want and then later "advise" him to consider other options. It's just a subtle way of easing the player out the door without yanking his scholarship and if that doesn't work, the next season some coaches just yank it and move on.
Parents NEED to understand that college athletics is a BUSINESS. And business is not fair and scholarship are on a year-to-year basis.

Mr. Tiger said:
Where have some of you been? College sports is littered with players who were promised starting spots and labeled "THE NEXT BIG THING" only to fall out of favor through no fault of their own and lose their scholarships.
Here in Mississippi, Southern Mississippi's basketball team had a completely different roster two years in a row. The team was terrible so the new coach yanked scholarships and signed a whole new crop. The next season, the team was just as bad so he yanked scholarships from players that HE signed.
The coach before him did the same thing. And matter of fact he is Valley's coach now, James Green.
The big schools have been doing this for years. Some coaches in the SEC just demote a player they no longer want and then later "advise" him to consider other options. It's just a subtle way of easing the player out the door without yanking his scholarship and if that doesn't work, the next season some coaches just yank it and move on.
Parents NEED to understand that college athletics is a BUSINESS. And business is not fair and scholarship are on a year-to-year basis.

You are dealign with parents who dont understand cuase all they hear is how this coach will take care of their boy eventhough their boy has offers from bigger schools.

YOU RIGHT !!!!1 IT IS A BUSINESS!!!

A BUSINESS WITH TERRIBLE PRACTICES!!!!!!

A parent can send their kid to a 1a school to ride the pine atleast.

We wonder why we can't get these big time hs players!!!!

TO BUSY TRYING DA FREE AGENCY TRANSFER MARKET AND STILL AINT BEATING NO DAYUM BODY!!!!!!
T
I STILL DONT' AGREE WIT IT !!!!!!!!

AGAIN, LET ME SAY I DON'T MIND A FEW IMPACT TRANSFERS ON A GOOD OR CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM BUT BOATLOADS.............That is what LSU and others do but by RECRUITING HS KIDS!!!!!!!!

OH WELL !!!!!!:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:

STC_60 said:
You are dealign with parents who dont understand cuase all they hear is how this coach will take care of their boy eventhough their boy has offers from bigger schools.

TO BUSY TRYING DA FREE AGENCY TRANSFER MARKET AND STILL AINT BEATING NO DAYUM BODY!!!!!!
T

AGAIN, LET ME SAY I DON'T MIND A FEW IMPACT TRANSFERS ON A GOOD OR CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM BUT BOATLOADS.............That is what LSU and others do but by RECRUITING HS KIDS!!!!!!!!

You hear that all the time about a coach saying he is going to take care of your son, but what exactly does that mean??? The parents need to ask more questions.

The coaches at the major schools now have a term called " Greyshirt"
where they talk theses kids into walking on for a semester or a year, and turning down scholarships at other universities by promising them a scholarship which may or may not come.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
STC_60 said:

First of all aint no parent or kids pickings hbcu schools over pwc schools these days. Parents where all americans and pros coming out of Gram, j-state and etc; but they are sending their kids to Miami, Texas, LSU,and etc.

Second, the top players see these sorry as_ kids playing on our teams that dont need to be on the field but we dont want to hurt their feelings, in they are really on a academic scholarship just in the name of sports, so we let them play and refuse to take them out because they are upper classmen,oh we promissed they would play. So the top athlete if he chooses hbcu, has to ride the pine for at lease two years.
At white school current players flunk out of school and then declare himself for the draft. the top player gets to play as a freshman at the white school.

third, we are in the free agent market because if after a player does my second option, the white school sees that the top player out of high school was overrated so he getts his SCHOLARSHIP CUT. if he wants to play football he must come to us. We get our as_ kicked still because most of our free agents are garbage, trash, junk. we have very few diamonds in the ruff.

Bottom line if you put junk out in your front yard, it tends to attrack more trash in who wants to put a rose in trash.

so in other words, to get a rose bed in your yard you have to get rid of the trash. not holding on to it hoping it will be worth something one day

stroke said:
First of all aint no parent or kids pickings hbcu schools over pwc schools these days. Parents where all americans and pros coming out of Gram, j-state and etc; but they are sending their kids to Miami, Texas, LSU,and etc.
Second, the top players see these sorry as_ kids playing on our teams that dont need to be on the field but we dont want to hurt their feelings, in they are really on a academic scholarship just in the name of sports, so we let them play and refuse to take them out because they are upper classmen,oh we promissed they would play. So the top athlete if he chooses hbcu, has to ride the pine for at lease two years.
At white school current players flunk out of school and then declare himself for the draft. the top player gets to play as a freshman at the white school.

third, we are in the free agent market because if after a player does my second option, the white school sees that the top player out of high school was overrated so he getts his SCHOLARSHIP CUT. if he wants to play football he must come to us. We get our as_ kicked still because most of our free agents are garbage, trash, junk. we have very few diamonds in the ruff.

Bottom line if you put junk out in your front yard, it tends to attrack more trash in who wants to put a rose in trash.

so in other words, to get a rose bed in your yard you have to get rid of the trash. not holding on to it hoping it will be worth something one day

THE BOLD STATEMENT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM !!! You would be surprised at how many HBCU big time former palyers kids go to BIG SCHOOLS INSTEAD OF THE GSU'S/JSU'S/SU'S and so on!!

THAT IS SAD!!!!!!!!

I can understand trash off a sad ass trashy team. I can see 3-8!!!! I have seen it up close and personal. Everybody or almost everybody from that mess need to be evaluated including the white qb who stunk for 2.5 years to high hell. On a championship caliber team with good kids who have not had the opportunity to show yo uwha they can do cause this kid is trying to transfer after playing practicing for 3years at BIG SCHOOL U. is takign their scholly is wrong to me.

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY PARENTS ARE GETTING FED UP !!!!!!!!

THEY ARE !!!!!!!

IMPACT TRANSFERS ARE NO PROBLEM TO ME AT ALL. IF YOU CAN COME CHANGED TH E GAME I'M ALL FOR THAT BUT A BENCH WARMER WHO LOOKS LIKE A BALLA ON PAPER WHO DOES NOTHING WHEN HE GETS HERE BUT TAKE UP SOME HS KID SPOT IS RETARDED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!

OH WELL I JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE A HARD OPINION ON THE SUBJECT !!!!!!!!

Back