2006 JSU FOOTBALL: Scholarship shuffle part of Comegy's rebuilding plan

Dr. Tripp

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060709/SPORTS030101/607090351

July 9, 2006

JSU FOOTBALL: Cost of Winning

Scholarship shuffle part of Comegy's rebuilding plan

By David Brandt
david.brandt@clarionledger.com

New JSU coach Rick Comegy's program-building strategy has forced players to fight for scholarship money as well as playing time.

If Jackson State's Tomarcio Levy didn't fully grasp the economics of college football before last spring, he does now.

That's because a few months ago the new JSU coaching staff hit the junior defensive back with some difficult news.

Levy was welcomed back to the team for this year- but was told his scholarship would be cut by 33 percent. Levy said his aid dropped from about 75 percent of expenses to 50 percent.

It wasn't a moment he remembers fondly, but the Callaway High School graduate decided to stay at JSU.

"Any time you get your money taken from you, it isn't fun," Levy said. "But I tried to be a big boy about it. Maybe this will make me better and I'll earn my money back. The new coaches are winners and I have to respect that, cause we didn't do too much winning last year."

In the first year of the Rick Comegy era at Jackson State, changes have come by the boatload. In February, the Tigers signed a monster 55-person recruiting class, sending a clear message.

Comegy and crew aren't interested in long-term rebuilding. Winning now is the goal.

"Our job is to find the best athletes we can find, so we signed as many as we could get - high school, junior college and transfers," said Comegy, who was hired in December after James Bell coached the Tigers to three consecutive losing seasons. "That doesn't mean we weren't interested in the kids we already had. Many of them will help us a lot. We just had to continue to make this program better."

Schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Southern Miss, which play at the NCAA's highest level (Division I-A), are allowed to have up to 85 football players on scholarship at a time. Those scholarships are fully funded and cannot be partialed out.

At the I-AA level, at which JSU competes, schools can have 63 fully funded scholarships per year, but the aid may be partialed out to as many as 85 players.

Levy says he understands why his scholarship was cut. JSU won just two games last season and lost nine. The Tigers are in dire need of new talent and attitude.

That meant new scholarship money had to be found, which in turn meant Levy and several other returnees saw their money reduced.

Comegy said no one was cut from the squad but some players who had their money taken away chose not to return. He said several others who chose to return will struggle to find playing time this fall.

No hard feelings. Just business. Right?

"I don't care if they bring in Emmitt Smith - I always think I should be on the field and am worth the money," Levy said. "But I think this new coaching staff is in my best interests to make our team better and me a better player."

While JSU drew national attention by signing 55 players, recruiting coordinator Gregory Ruffin said only 26 to 28 new players will be on campus and in uniform this fall.

Many of the freshman signees opted for junior colleges or failed to make high school grades or test scores needed to meet the NCAA's initial academic eligiblity requirements for freshmen.

"A lot of people kind of went nuts when they found out we signed 55 guys," Ruffin said. "But we knew there would probably be some that wouldn't qualify. That's OK, though, because those guys that ended up going to JUCOs understand that we're interested in them, so when their junior year comes around they'll still be thinking about Jackson State because we showed them love before their freshman year."

The roster isn't completely set, either. Ruffin said he's still talking to a handful of Division I-A transfers.

Among those who will be eligible are running back Jamal Pittman (transfer from Ole Miss), linebacker Daniel Brooks (Tennessee), athlete Carlos Simpson (Cincinnati), quarterback Jimmy Oliver (Pearl River Community College) and defensive back LaBrose Hedgemon (Notre Dame).

"There were a few guys we lost (from the recruiting class) that disappointed us," Comegy said. "A few receivers especially, but all of our really big transfers are still coming."

Brooks said through summer workouts and 7-on-7 practices, he's seen little friction between new players and returnees.

But he admits there's probably a few hurt feelings.

"That's how it goes sometimes," Brooks said. "When (Steve) Spurrier went to South Carolina, I heard they shook it up pretty good over there. I'm sure something like that is happening here."

But since there's less than 30 new faces on the roster instead of 55, there's plenty of opportunity for returning players.

Nearly every starter from last year with eligibility remaining returns, including running backs David Kennebrew and Olandus Rodgers, quarterback Kethone McLaurin and receivers Jaymar Johnson, Jeremy Handy and Jordan Beard. Defensive returnees include Vincent Dancy, Marcus Smith and Levy.

"No one was really scared when the new coaching staff came in," Johnson said. "It actually made me want to work a little harder. Most of the guys knew this was a change for the better."

The main difference for some returnees is a lighter wallet and more competition for playing time.

While losing scholarship money stings, the prospect of winning more football games this season is a much more comfortable idea.

"If we go 9-2 this year instead of 2-9, this was all worth the trouble," Levy said. "Winning will hopefully make everything else take care of itself."

JSU,

Very interesting reading. This explains a lot of what has been going on with Comegy and JSU. The bottom line is Comegy's job as coach is to win football games. He can get away with with screwing over a few kids if he wins big, but otherwise this could come back to bite him. This is the way it always works when a new coach and money is involved. The sad part about this is that this partial scholarship game has been around but more and more of our HBCU's are being forced to play it in order for to win. It is not in the best interest of the kids and a lot of kids are starting to figure it out. Sooner or later, you are going to run into problems.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This is what we have been trying to tell most of you anyway.... In the end, Levy and some others may even end up getting his money back depending on who shows up. We in the Tiger Den have known for months that Comegy could only fund 30 new players. We never expected all of that 55 to show up. Our main problems last year (to me) were depth and playcalling. Comegy's staff knows how to call plays and we have about 15-20 transfers who are already qualified and ready to step in to assist with depth. If you look at our first four games last year, we could have started out 4-0 with the proper playcalling. Everything went south after that when the injuries all set in. This won't be a bad team.

This is just the sign of the times. College football is big business now. And coaches who don't win are quickly looking for another job. The big schools, Division I-A, have been yanking scholarships for years. At Mississippi State, Coach Croom came in and cleaned house. He yanked scholarships or demoted those players he no longer wanted so far down the depth chart they were one step from being the water boy. The only thing that surprises me is that Levy is one of the guy affected because that kid was one of the good ones last season.

And as TP just said. JSU had depth and play-calling issues last season and no one here expected the entire team from last year to be scrapped because there is talent there.

Mr. Tiger said:
This is just the sign of the times. College football is big business now. And coaches who don't win are quickly looking for another job. The big schools, Division I-A, have been yanking scholarships for years. .

We as parents need to take a very close look at issues like this when a coach is sitting in our livingrooms talking about how they are going to take care of our sons and daughters. If our kids do everything the coach ask... work out, improve every year, keep good grades, give 110% on the field, and then he decreases the scholarship..... This is why the NCAA listing on graduation rates is so important to us parent so that we do not get the phone call that I'm coming home or can you send me a couple thousand dollars to cover tuition because my scholarship was cancelled. I understand why he thinks he has to do it ... just do not agree.

^^^^^^^ College football is a business. It is not a daycare center. :lol: :emlaugh: Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Levy seems to be taking it as well as could be expected.
We've seem it for years on the D1 level.That's why we see seniors being unseated by sophomores and juniors.

thedesr said:
We as parents need to take a very close look at issues like this when a coach is sitting in our livingrooms talking about how they are going to take care of our sons and daughters. If our kids do everything the coach ask... work out, improve every year, keep good grades, give 110% on the field, and then he decreases the scholarship..... This is why the NCAA listing on graduation rates is so important to us parent so that we do not get the phone call that I'm coming home or can you send me a couple thousand dollars to cover tuition because my scholarship was cancelled. I understand why he thinks he has to do it ... just do not agree.
I agree.

All those props. This is like a record, right? Could they not spell their names yet?

there is nothing wrong with what comogy did. he's expected to win and graduate players. if he doesn't do one or the other then he won't last long. as well, some guys left b/c pt blank they weren't competitors. when faced with the challenge of earning their scholly back they'd rather pack their bags. others like levy seem to have the proper attitude. though disappointed w/ the loss of the money he's all about proving he belongs there and he should be on a full ride. that attitude will benifit him and the school. after all, if you're on scholarship and your not earning it......aren't you stealing? a good highschool career earns you an opportunity to play college ball. production at that level is what warrents the school footing the bill.

I think we in the swac really dont know what we want. on one hand we want to win and stop getting our a_s kicked by white schools. on the other we just wont to give away academic scholarships in the name in sports. We have to make up our mind. A kid should know college football is a big business, in know that no fan wants to pay college prices to see jr. high ball. In college a kid most perform to keep a scholarship, no coach will cut a kid that works hard and perform period. if a coach dosent get rid of dead weight on his team, he will see shirts such as "fire bell" and low attendance. after that happens the school will get rid of the dead weight coach.

Yes this is a business but if a young man or womens scholarship is yanked/decreased for anything other than academics, getting in trouble, or poor attitude.... then they should be allowed to transfer to another D1A or D1AA school without penalty. This is too one sided.

thedesr said:
Yes this is a business but if a young man or womens scholarship is yanked/decreased for anything other than academics, getting in trouble, or poor attitude.... then they should be allowed to transfer to another D1A or D1AA school without penalty. This is too one sided.

That should be IF they are on an academic scholarship. If they come on a athletic scholarship, I see no problem with reducing it, but just taking it away in kind of harsh. I agree with you on the ability to transfer immdiately following this.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
So is Comegy stating that JSU does not have the players to be successful?
Some of the guys that were on scholarship had no business with one. Comegy looked at every game film and determined who should and shouldn't be on scholarship. And Comegy told them something like this: "Son, I've seen you on film and I can't see you getting any playing time next season. You're 3rd on the depth chart right now, and with what I'm bringing in, you're likely to drop even further. You're welcome to stay on the team, but you will have to pay your own way through school. I'm sure there's some financial aid available to you." Because of the number of new players he felt he needed to bring in, some players who had their scholly reduced had it reduced simply for the good of the team. Meaning, their on field performance justifies their scholly, but we got needs and those needs ain't coming if we don't have any money to give them.

Remember that scholarships are one year contracts. The school doesn't have to give you one the next season. May not be fair, but that's the system they operate under. And honestly, most of the guys that lost their scholly knew it was gonna happen.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
So is Comegy stating that JSU does not have the players to be successful?

He is saying that but not for the reason that you are suggesting.

How many people did you have in Spring Drills at Grambling? Probably about 90-100. ALL of them are not on scholarship and some are not on full scholarship.

We only had 50-55 players to participate in Spring drills. That is barely enough for two strings. To be honest, there is really not going to be that much competition for these spots. A lot of these guys are young. 90% of Bell's recruits are Freshmen and Sophomores. They will be content to wait their turn while the returning starters and transfers battle for the starting spots.

Was Dug asying that GSU did not have the players to be succcessful when he recruited 200 athletes in 5 years?

Robber said:
Remember that scholarships are one year contracts. The school doesn't have to give you one the next season. May not be fair, but that's the system they operate under. And honestly, most of the guys that lost their scholly knew it was gonna happen.
Here it is.

Tigerpride said:
Was Dug asying that GSU did not have the players to be succcessful when he recruited 200 athletes in 5 years?

Doug saw the previous record of the last teams and saw changes wre needed to be made based on that record. Comegy is in the same situation at Jsu. Comegy has to go in weed out the good players from the folsk just on the team. What i don't like is the constant adding of transfer palyers to good teams. Instead of developing players who work hard for you and keep their grades up and the kids YOU as coach told their parents all this great stuff. I don't mind some impact transfers. KIDS WHO CAN HELP IMMEDIATELY but trying to build depth thru trasnfers over kids yo urecruited is a slow death with these parents who already have these white folsk in their ear on why their son should not go to your school in the first place. Especially ona winning team with talent. I don't mind giving a kid a second chance but you can't give everybody a second chance and you have kids who make good grades and practice hard but can't get on the cause of some OKAY transfer cause they went to BIG SCHOOL U. I personally do not like alot of transfers. IMPACT TRANSFERS ARE DIFFERNET BUT JSUT STOCK PILING OTHER FOLKS LEFTOVERS TO CREATE DEPTH INSTEAD OF BUILDING IT BY DEVELOPING KIDS INTO PLAYERS!!!

OH WELL!!!!

BTW: IT IS CALLED COACHING!!!!!!

STC_60 said:
[/B]

Doug saw the previous record of the last teams and saw changes wre needed to be made based on that record. Comegy is in the same situation at Jsu. Comegy has to go in weed out the good players from the folsk just on the team. What i don't like is the constant adding of transfer palyers to good teams. Instead of developing players who work hard for you and keep their grades up and the kids YOU as coach told their parents all this great stuff. I don't mind some impact transfers. KIDS WHO CAN HELP IMMEDIATELY but trying to build depth thru trasnfers over kids yo urecruited is a slow death with these parents who already have these white folsk in their ear on why their son should not go to your school in the first place. Especially ona winning team with talent. I don't mind giving a kid a second chance but you can't give everybody a second chance and you have kids who make good grades and practice hard but can't get on the cause of some OKAY transfer cause they went to BIG SCHOOL U. I personally do not like alot of transfers. IMPACT TRANSFERS ARE DIFFERNET BUT JSUT STOCK PILING OTHER FOLKS LEFTOVERS TO CREATE DEPTH INSTEAD OF BUILDING IT BY DEVELOPING KIDS INTO PLAYERS!!!

OH WELL!!!!

BTW: IT IS CALLED COACHING!!!!!!

I am not sure how Comegy is going to handle this situation since he has never had 60+ scholarships. However, this year, we NEEDED transfers. I am sure that some props with stick with us...I am going to assume around 10. That would give this class a net of about 20 transfers, and 20 High school recruits (10 qualifiers/10 non-qualifiers).

Actually, I think had Hughes brought in some transfers after the 1999 season, we would have won the SWAC in 2000. We lost too much from that 1999 team to do much better than we did.

Back