Grambling timeline secure for now; see who's applied

JAG89

THE NEW AMERICA'S TEAM
Grambling timeline secure for now; see who's applied
Greg Hilburn, USA TODAY Network1:11 p.m. CDT July 6, 2016

University of Louisiana System President Dan Reneau, citing the "urgent need" for leadership, said the board plans to stick with its plan to hire a new president for Grambling State University July 26 despite criticism from some alumni and higher education leaders who believe the timeline is rushed.

Five candidates have applied or been nominated as of Wednesday, including: Paul Bryant, associate provost, enrollment management, Albany State University (nominated by former GSU President Frank Pogue); Rick Gallot of Grambling, attorney, member of the Cleco Corp. board of directors and former state lawmaker; Ivory A. Nelson, president emeritus, Lincoln University (1999-2012); Donnovon Outten, associate vice president for academic affairs, Webster University; and Jerald Woolfork, vice president for student affairs, State University of New York at Oswego.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...imeline-secure-now-see-whos-applied/86745864/

That ivory Nelson guy is 82 years old. Gsu need a president who will be there a good 10 years and that would make him 92. Lmao lmao

It will be interesting....2 GSU alum and a Jackson State Alum

It sounds like folks are pushing Ricky Gallot who also grew up in Grambling. Although he has the political connections, my only question about him, does he has the experience to get the job done?

B9318297148Z.1_20150731173536_000_GN2BGLQ7V.1-0.jpg

Last edited:
I just knew this person would be in the mix for Grambling's president, but he's not. And the KALB person (Sherman Desselle) interviewing him is a Grambling grad too. I think both are Alphas.

Also, it's interesting that LSUA is pushing hard to grow the number of its athletic programs. I wonder will football be in their near future. I can see them joining the Southland Conference one day. IMO, LSUA's location would give them a slight edge in recruiting over other Louisiana Southland Conference schools.

Last edited:
It sounds like folks are pushing Ricky Gallot who also grew up in Grambling. Although he has the political connections, my only question about him, does he has the experience to get the job done?

B9318297148Z.1_20150731173536_000_GN2BGLQ7V.1-0.jpg

Rick is the best fit. GSU does not need someone who does not know the alumni climate. Past presidents have come in and aligned themselves with people who mean the university no good and are only out for themselves. Horace Judson, Frank Pogue, Warrick, and Larkin came in not knowing people and decided to align themselves with the wrong characters. Rick knows how to navigate the situation.

Moreover Rick knows how to navigate the legislature as well. That has been a big problem. Another perspective is that Rick was legislator when Dr. Reneau was president at Tech and they have a good working relationship.

I support this 300%!!!!!

Rick is the best fit. GSU does not need someone who does not know the alumni climate. Past presidents have come in and aligned themselves with people who mean the university no good and are only out for themselves. Horace Judson, Frank Pogue, Warrick, and Larkin came in not knowing people and decided to align themselves with the wrong characters. Rick knows how to navigate the situation.

Moreover Rick knows how to navigate the legislature as well. That has been a big problem. Another perspective is that Rick was legislator when Dr. Reneau was president at Tech and they have a good working relationship.

I support this 300%!!!!!

I think his people are from Opelousas, but he definitely was born and raise in Grambling. I think he was one of the little kids that grew travelling with Eddie Robinson whenever the team went somewhere to play football. Wasn't his dad once the Town of Grambling Mayor? I still remembered getting a few haircuts at his dad's barbershop.

GSU Presidential Applicants 2016
The following individuals have submitted a cover letter and resume for consideration for the position of Grambling State University President.

Paul A. Bryant (Ed.D. - Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Associate Provost, Enrollment Management, Albany State University

Carlos R. Clark (Ph.D. - University of Mississippi, University, MS)
Special Assistant to the President for Accreditation, Arkansas Baptist College

Audrey M. Freeman (Ed.D. - Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Principal/Executive Director, Bluford Drew Jemison STEM Academy, Middle-High School

Richard J. Gallot, Jr. (J.D. - Southern University School of Law, Baton Rouge, LA)
Attorney, Gallot Law Office

Kenneth R. Gay (Ed.D. - University of Houston, Houston, TX)
Principal, John Tyler High School

Chance M. Glenn, Sr. (Ph.D. - The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD)
Dean, College of Enginering, Technology, and Physical Sciences, Alabama A&M University

Eleridge Moses James (Ph.D. - Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI)
Science/Special Education Teacher, New Orleans Public Schools

Burnett Joiner (Ph.D. - University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC)
Dean of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education, Benedict College

Angelia Young Jones (Ph.D. - University of Missouri, Columbia, MO)
Adjunct Professor of Political Science, Brailsford College of Arts and Sciences, Prairie View A&M University

Samuel T. Nichols, Jr. (M.S. - Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS)
Information Technology/Management Analyst, Veterans Administration

Donnovon L. Outten (Ed.D. - Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, Webster University

Gerald C. Peoples (Ph.D. - Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS)
Professor, Alcorn State University

Gilbert L. Rochon, III (Ph.D. - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA)
Former President and University Professor, Tuskegee University

Dessie Mae Sanders (M.A. - Grambling State University, Grambling, LA)
Faculty 9th grade English and Literature, Uplift Education, Summit International Preparatory High School

I guess that Tuskegee person didn't meet the standards that Charles P. Adams (GSU's founding president) brought from Tuskegee.

I guess that Tuskegee person didn't meet the standards that Charles P. Adams (GSU's founding president) brought from Tuskegee.

Well Charles P. Adams was fired three times and ended his educational career as a principal at Lincoln High in Ruston.

Well Charles P. Adams was fired three times and ended his educational career as a principal at Lincoln High in Ruston.

But without him or Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones (Prez), it wouldn't have been a GSU, basically the founder and the builder.

But without him or Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones (Prez), it wouldn't have been a GSU, basically the founder and the builder.

I agree.

I actually just found out about him being fired three times. I was reading some history books on the Liberty Hill Baptist Association and whomever the secretary was they took hella notes. I'm trying to get the notes published to aide with the history of Grambling. We all knew that Grambling was named after a white man who owned the train station. the interesting thing is this white man was run out of Ruston because he had 3 children by a black woman and was not allowed to marry her. Now this is where it gets really interesting. The grave marker is said to be marked with the black mother's surname and not his. Which, is why it has not be located.

I agree.

I actually just found out about him being fired three times. I was reading some history books on the Liberty Hill Baptist Association and whomever the secretary was they took hella notes. I'm trying to get the notes published to aide with the history of Grambling. We all knew that Grambling was named after a white man who owned the train station. the interesting thing is this white man was run out of Ruston because he had 3 children by a black woman and was not allowed to marry her. Now this is where it gets really interesting. The grave marker is said to be marked with the black mother's surname and not his. Which, is why it has not be located.

I'm sure the Town of Grambling and GSU has a rich history that bonds the two. There's many parts of Louisiana with similar history. My mother's side of the family has some interesting history concerning the relationship of her White great grandfather and the two Black women that had children for him. Because of that, he was like the outcast of his family. His brother was once a prominent Louisiana politician who once sat on LSU's Board and was once the Secretary of Louisiana Highway Department. There's a subdivision in Alexandria that is named after the politician with all the street names named after all of his brothers and sisters. It's interested that the only dead end street named after my mother's great grandfather is the shortest street with no houses on it. The street dead ends at a canal that runs along the parking lot of Rapides Parish Coliseum. One good thing, my mother's great grandfather left all his inheritance and land to his Black children, which didn't please his brothers and sisters.

Here's a Google Earth picture of the street, which is really not much of a street. Noticed the street is an unimproved asphalt street which is nothing like the improved concrete street with curb and gutter that ties into it, basically a driveway access for the two houses on the corner. Now another possible theory is that where the Coliseum is located, that could have been another phase of the subdivision that never got built, but it is ironic that that's the only street like that.
11txzzm.jpg

Last edited:
Back