Accrediting body says Louisiana colleges at serious risk

bigmanofds

Louisiana colleges and universities could be sanctioned by a regional accrediting board if state officials cannot stabilize higher education funding.

Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, sent the letter Thursday to Jay Dardenne, Louisiana’s commissioner of administration.

The Daily Advertiser obtained the letter Friday from the University of Louisiana System.

The association is responsible for accrediting all Louisiana higher education institutions.

“If the institutions are unable to demonstrate continued financial stability or continue to enroll students, the Board of SACSCOC would have to consider a public sanction of the institutions or a withdrawal of their accreditation,” Wheelan wrote. “Public sanctions have a chilling effect on the enrollment of potential students and withdrawal of accreditation results in the loss of federal financial aid.”

Wheelan noted that, to remain accredited, institutions must demonstrate sound financial footing. She also noted that, in a worst case scenario, some colleges and universities could have to close before the end of the spring semester.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...ays-louisiana-colleges-serious-risk/80304062/

Sullivan also expressed frustration that many people seem more concerned about how the cuts would impact LSU football.

"I'm disturbed by the amount of attention football has gotten," Sullivan said. "I love football, but it's secondary to (survival)."

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/ne...some-campuses-could-face-bankruptcy/80847510/
------------------------------------

The article went further explaining, "The loss of accreditation would be institutional death," Alexander said, explaining the universities would no longer be eligible for federal funds. "Moody's (Investors) Service and SACS are waiting to see what you do."

Reneau said higher education is at "a tipping point," saying significant cuts "can set it back 50 years."

Monty Sullivan, chancellor of the Louisiana Community and Technical College, said he will cut 129 jobs under the best-case scenario. More severe cuts, he said, "would be catastrophic."

He said a $200 million budget cut scenario system presidents have been asked to consider would literally create a doomsday scenario. "I'm not certain we'd have a community and technical college system," Sullivan said.

SMH...he fucks Louisiana but moves in to a damn near million dollar home. bitch ass indian.

IMO, if things do really go bad for Louisiana to a point that is detriment to LSU's football, Jindal better find somewhere else to live. I really don't think the good folks in Louisiana will allow him to live in peace while they are suffering. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand has already said Jindal was following Grover Norquist as some 'No Tax' cult leader. When White folks start saying stuff like that, you better listen very closely to what they are saying, because they are the ones who were with Jindal from the start. And Sheriff Normand is a very conservative Republican.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/02/normand_on_jindal_a_better_cul.html

Perry White did a great job at the capitol.

Now that they had this rally, it's time for individuals to keep track of how each state legislator votes from here out. Ted James the state representative was right, Louisiana doesn't have a spending problem, it has a priority problem.

Last edited:
I think the tide is changing, I think that people are realizing their mistake in Jindal, the best thing for SU is to move foward, consolidating the colleges which they have done, get rid of low enrollment degrees, increase its online presents, and continue raising money, every since the Tru Blue Fund they are raising and increasing at least a million dollars per year, , Last year was 4 million, this goal should be 6 million and that's from late summer to homecoming if I am right....and continue to increase enrollment, and improve retention..

I think the tide is changing, I think that people are realizing their mistake in Jindal, the best thing for SU is to move foward, consolidating the colleges which they have done, get rid of low enrollment degrees, increase its online presents, and continue raising money, every since the Tru Blue Fund they are raising and increasing at least a million dollars per year, , Last year was 4 million, this goal should be 6 million and that's from late summer to homecoming if I am right....and continue to increase enrollment, and improve retention..

At least the state is going in the right direction now.

Penny sales tax passes Louisiana House
http://www.kalb.com/home/headlines/...ocial&utm_source=facebook_KALB_News_Channel_5

This is probably the wrong thread, but after The STATE get through this, I hope that SU and all Public Universities, put pressure on state for building projects. I am not saying all at once, but, start to make progress, I hate programs like the MS and PHD environmental toxicology program that is one of the best in the country at SU, lose out of millions because the facility is not up to date with technology and equipment to receive those million dollar grants, which is another reason it's important for the improvement of facilities on campus. .

Last edited:
This is what white folks get for voting Republican.

It aint no fun when the rabbit gets the gun.

These folks will still vote republican for racial reasons. Everybody with a brain knows that the main reason they are anti-tax is because they dont want black benefitting on their dime. If tax dollars were only spent on the lily white, they would have no problem.

Fugg em.

This is probably the wrong thread, but after The STATE get through this, I hope that SU and all Public Universities, put pressure on state for building projects. I am not saying all at once, but, start to make progress, I hate programs like the MS and PHD environmental toxicology program that is one of the best in the country at SU, lose out of millions because the facility is not up to date with technology and equipment to receive those million dollar grants, which is another reason it's important for the improvement of facilities on campus. .

I do believe Governor Edwards will increase funding for state colleges and universities once the budget is balanced. And what is nice, it seems like he has developed a good relationship with Southern and Grambling, particularly Southern, which is something Southern hasn't seen since the time Edwin Edwards was in office. Now is the time for Southern to start looking at developing new programs. I would love to see Southern create a Petroleum Engineering program, along with getting more involved in nano technology and robotic research through its Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Departments. Also, SU's Civil Engineering Department needs to be given research projects involving the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Last edited:
Petroleum engineering is a no brainer, I often wondered why SU never had that program, also I would love for SU to add a Biotechnology, or Biomedical program, that will streamline the Engineering and agricultural program. I also think a PA program, ( physician assistant). SU has the largest, if not one of the largest nursing programs among HBCU, and the accolades speak for itself,

And adding onto the Rehabilitation, Urban Forestry, and Environmental toxicology programs which are all national rank.

And ONLINE ... putting more degrees online

Well they just added a cyber security program to the CS program, so hopefully that will be a stepping stone for growth in the technology program

Last edited:
JAG89, this is why I wanted Dr. Toldson as the President, he may not have had the University Administrator experience, but he had experience and relationships with federal department agencies which I think would of in the long run, been beneficial to SU and the programs, And now he is the executive director of the white house HBCU

Last edited:
Perry White did a great job at the capitol.

Now that they had this rally, it's time for individuals to keep track of how each state legislator votes from here out. Ted James the state representative was right, Louisiana doesn't have a spending problem, it has a priority problem.

That's JAMES BRADFORD with yellow bow tie!!! Mayor of Jonesboro, LA!!! One of the good guys that know. Loves GSU!!!!

I do believe Governor Edwards will increase funding for state colleges and universities once the budget is balanced. And what is nice, it seems like he has developed a good relationship with Southern and Grambling, particularly Southern, which is something Southern hasn't seen since the time Edwin Edwards was in office. Now is the time for Southern to start looking at developing new programs. I would love to see Southern create a Petroleum Engineering program, along with getting more involved in nano technology and robotic research through its Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Departments. Also, SU's Civil Engineering Department needs to be given research projects involving the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Not only Southern...when he appointed the Mayor of Grambling to his education and committee and asked Grambling Alum and former MAry Landrieu office manage Alicia Williams to be a part of his transition team and work in his administration that made Grambling love him!!!

I told yall two years ago Edwards would be the man.

JAG89, this is why I wanted Dr. Toldson as the President, he may not have had the University Administrator experience, but he had experience and relationships with federal department agencies which I think would of in the long run, been beneficial to SU and the programs, And now he is the executive director of the white house HBCU

I think Toldson is in the right place because he is in a valuable position to help all HBCUs. SU 's board is smart. They hired from within but were able to maintain a strong connection with Toldson.

Back