What if some of our premier athletes stood up to the PWI establishment like Simmons?

pvdogteam

Who ya rootin' for? PVU
Would this start making a difference in the disrespect our HBCU conferences receive? We have cream of the crop athletes who would rather go to a PWI and ride the bench and not actually get a degree than play for an HBCU. What would happen if those athletes drew a line in the sand and decided to patronize our institutions and we start winning against these big schools like your VCU's and Loyola Marymount back in the day. Also being feared by those larger schools like NDSU is in football. They make millions of dollars off our stellar athletes and a lot of them don't even get a free education out of it, if we ever woke up it would really be powerful, instead of beating our chests about pnly beating each other up we could start beating them too.Thoughts???

Would this start making a difference in the disrespect our HBCU conferences receive? We have cream of the crop athletes who would rather go to a PWI and ride the bench and not actually get a degree than play for an HBCU. What would happen if those athletes drew a line in the sand and decided to patronize our institutions and we start winning against these big schools like your VCU's and Loyola Marymount back in the day. Also being feared by those larger schools like NDSU is in football. They make millions of dollars off our stellar athletes and a lot of them don't even get a free education out of it, if we ever woke up it would really be powerful, instead of beating our chests about pnly beating each other up we could start beating them too.Thoughts???

If you can figure that out...then you will see a difference in the BLACK RACE as a whole...

I agree with what you are saying but the fact remains that most of the kids and the parents are clueless. Most kids would rather sign with Alabama or LSU and not play just to say they were on the team. Most of there parents label our HBCU's as party schools but the fact is all colleges and universities can be labeled as party schools. Its on the athlete but until there parents open their eyes those kids will continue to shy away from our schools whether it be for athletics or academics.

White coaches get more out of black players than black coaches get out of black players is definitely one reason y they sign to bigger institutions.

Many of the parents of these kids see it as an opportunity to get out of poverty. Since business professionals don't reside in those communities, they (parents and kids) see professional sports or the lottery as the best means to escape their respective environments.
How often do we buy or build homes in our communities after we "Make It" ?
There first needs to be a paradigm Shift in our attitude.

White coaches get more out of black players than black coaches get out of black players is definitely one reason y they sign to bigger institutions.
Really....this is the mentality that sends these athletes to PWI's. Send the players @ Alabama to Al St and the player's at Al St to Alabama and see if your theory holds true.

Please tell my you were kidding or just seeking to cause reactions.

the teams we play for in high school and who coaches them is one major issue....the best programs are normally coached by someone that's not black and the staff reflects it

I had a cuz where my school was his first offer and his parents know our family has benefited from having HBCU degrees...the other schools got in on him and one of them were the bottom feeder FBS and you already know what happens as the first thing pops posted was to play Division I football

Reactions: JR
I don't understand why they go there anyway, still beats me

Going some place where you're not wanted Lol shat is ass backwards

"They" want them there though BH (their fans, alums, COACHES who need to substantiate their high standard of living w/ those plush 6+ figure salaries, announcers w/ high salaries, support staffers, facilities staffers, et al who are LITERALLY dependent upon the success of the colored football/basketball collegiate player). And once those coloreds experience that desire for want and being treated like king Solomon about their campus kingdom, they could care the hell less about everything else, including their own academic matriculation and actually augmenting their own knowledge growth smh. They know one thing: run dat ball, jump high, and get some white kitty/head & a few shillings of silver for your athletic prowess.

I agree with what you are saying but the fact remains that most of the kids and the parents are clueless.

THERE is where the origin of failure is situated. Clueless and overly ignorant, imho. God didn't bless me w/ the skill to entertain yet alone listen to someone I've declared as ignorant. smh

Actually they don't get more because of the training, they get more because they put more into the athletics than academics than we do. My wifey went to University of Kentucky and those athletes don't have to do jack as far as class because they pay someone to go to class for them. The bad thing is when they don't go to the league or they make it but only for a couple of years, they are stuck after making the school millions of dollars.I was reading an article about a PV linemen trying to get into the league, but he says if his dream doesn't work out, then he is taking his biology degree and heading to dental school. You don't hear that kind of stuff from an Ohio State or LSU type player, I'm just saying if we ever wake up, it would be something else.

Really....this is the mentality that sends these athletes to PWI's. Send the players @ Alabama to Al St and the player's at Al St to Alabama and see if your theory holds true.

Please tell my you were kidding or just seeking to cause reactions.
No I'm not kidding. Have u played sports for black and white coaches? I have! In high school, middle school, pee wee league and college. Even though I didn't play a down or hit a ball at Southern due to my knee issues I still got my degree and my own business. I credit Pete Richardson and Roger Cador who are black coaches. I say this to say that in some cases u do have some black coaches who do know to communicate with black players. But in most cases u dont. I didn't start getting offers from colleges until I played for a white coach in high school. Reason being I had to change high schools because one particular school I went to didn't give a crap about there players. But I transferred to another high school with a white coach truly I had better guidance then I ever had until I came to Southern. In which my high school coach helped me with my decision on picking Southern. Brother u don't know my testimony!! Y u think Southern has the most success in sports in the Swac? Great men!!

What did Simmons do again?

Nothing really. He made a good decision to stay at PV who is paying him 190K in a no income tax state and be the HEAD man. Instead of going to USM under Hopson "again" for not that much more money and hope his head coach don['t have him in the unemployment line in 2 years. Might as well stay and continue to build at PV. He is young enough to seek other opportunities if he can win championships at PV. Hell a position coach job at a P5 or anybody bigger than USM will pay him more than being the OC at USM. LOL. Now if Hopson was making 1M and could offer Simmons 400K or so for the OC job then that would have probably changed his mind. LOL. Hopson is not in a great position to offer anyone any big money.

the teams we play for in high school and who coaches them is one major issue....the best programs are normally coached by someone that's not black and the staff reflects it

I had a cuz where my school was his first offer and his parents know our family has benefited from having HBCU degrees...the other schools got in on him and one of them were the bottom feeder FBS and you already know what happens as the first thing pops posted was to play Division I football
This is about $$$ the lower socioeconomic schools that thrive get rezoned which splus the talert pool. The wealthier schools do not get rezoned they build second campuses and split the grade levels. It's the same thing that has happened to our schools from the jump. The playing fields are absolutely not level.

They just tried this with South Oak Cliff H.S. in Dallas. But when the preachers and community activists got involved they backed off.

Nothing really. He made a good decision to stay at PV who is paying him 190K in a no income tax state and be the HEAD man. Instead of going to USM under Hopson "again" for not that much more money and hope his head coach don['t have him in the unemployment line in 2 years. Might as well stay and continue to build at PV. He is young enough to seek other opportunities if he can win championships at PV. Hell a position coach job at a P5 or anybody bigger than USM will pay him more than being the OC at USM. LOL. Now if Hopson was making 1M and could offer Simmons 400K or so for the OC job then that would have probably changed his mind. LOL. Hopson is not in a great position to offer anyone any big money.

Thanks... so can they close this stupid azz thread then? smh

@ 17, I did my part. I turned down every single athletic scholarship offer and then 3 months later, I turned down those 2 academic scholarship offers to PWCUs as well. Too bad more @ that time couldn't see the big forest because the great WHITE oak was blocking their view. smh *thinking back on classmates who were used in Kansas @ PWCUs smh *

Actually they don't get more because of the training, they get more because they put more into the athletics than academics than we do. My wifey went to University of Kentucky and those athletes don't have to do jack as far as class because they pay someone to go to class for them. The bad thing is when they don't go to the league or they make it but only for a couple of years, they are stuck after making the school millions of dollars.I was reading an article about a PV linemen trying to get into the league, but he says if his dream doesn't work out, then he is taking his biology degree and heading to dental school. You don't hear that kind of stuff from an Ohio State or LSU type player, I'm just saying if we ever wake up, it would be something else.
That's a great story I applaud that. But how many black athletes from black schools can tell a story like this? What's the percentage? Compare that to the LSU, Florida, Alabama, and etc.... guys who graduate.

That's a great story I applaud that. But how many black athletes from black schools can tell a story like this? What's the percentage? Compare that to the LSU, Florida, Alabama, and etc.... guys who graduate.

You right, now if you take care of business at a PWI it can pay off for you. I'm not saying athletes HAVE to come to HBCUs I'm just saying quit falling for the okie doke. While they using you to make their millions, get something in your head you can use for a lifetime, my buddy's lil bro played basketball for Rice, he's 6'9" and could have put all his eggs in the bball basket but he got a degree and when the NBA didn't come calling he went to work and never made under 6 figures.

No I'm not kidding. Have u played sports for black and white coaches? I have! In high school, middle school, pee wee league and college. Even though I didn't play a down or hit a ball at Southern due to my knee issues I still got my degree and my own business. I credit Pete Richardson and Roger Cador who are black coaches. I say this to say that in some cases u do have some black coaches who do know to communicate with black players. But in most cases u dont. I didn't start getting offers from colleges until I played for a white coach in high school. Reason being I had to change high schools because one particular school I went to didn't give a crap about there players. But I transferred to another high school with a white coach truly I had better guidance then I ever had until I came to Southern. In which my high school coach helped me with my decision on picking Southern. Brother u don't know my testimony!! Y u think Southern has the most success in sports in the Swac? Great men!!
You are correct I don't know your story but this is your story a case study of one. Do not make such generalizations that the same which happened to you will happen for all. Thay is just so simple minded of you. You should be ashamed of yourself to have made such an indictment against black coaches as a whole. Especially when it was black coaches that helped you. Do you think that those coaches of color at su were/are the only good ones?

That like me walking into your business and say I'm going down the street because blacks don't do whatever you do as good as whites because one black person performed poorly one time.

Silly isn't it?

You are correct I don't know your story but this is your story a case study of one. Do not make such generalizations that the same which happened to you will happen for all. Thay is just so simple minded of you. You should be ashamed of yourself to have made such an indictment against black coaches as a whole. Especially when it was black coaches that helped you. Do you think that those coaches of color at su were/are the only good ones?

That like me walking into your business and say I'm going down the street because blacks don't do whatever you do as good as whites because one black person performed poorly one time.

Silly isn't it?
No I don't think those coaches from Southern r the only good ones of course not. But I do know it's not that many. If there was it would b on a panel for the world to see. Especially within our community. But I'm through with this subject because I have story for days about coaches in our conference that you no nothing about. I will leave u with this God see all and everybody!!

No I don't think those coaches from Southern r the only good ones of course not. But I do know it's not that many. If there was it would b on a panel for the world to see. Especially within our community. But I'm through with this subject because I have story for days about coaches in our conference that you no nothing about. I will leave u with this God see all and everybody!!
You can leave it alone but you are still wrong. You are doing exactly what Caucasian do to people of color. Taking the actions of a few and generalizing it to all people of color. You have the same mindset that condones racial profiling.
You missed your calling, you should have been a police officer. You would fit right in.
I feel sorry for you. You throw God out there but what does his word say about your biased feelings. Sounds a little hypocritical to me. All the best to you and I wish you many white customers to your business as I'm sure their money is greener than mine.

You can leave it alone but you are still wrong. You are doing exactly what Caucasian do to people of color. Taking the actions of a few and generalizing it to all people of color. You have the same mindset that condones racial profiling.
You missed your calling, you should have been a police officer. You would fit right in.
I feel sorry for you. You throw God out there but what does his word say about your biased feelings. Sounds a little hypocritical to me. All the best to you and I wish you many white customers to your business as I'm sure their money is greener than mine.
Kmsl

Couple of things working against us. First, high school coaches like to say they sent their kids to P5 state university. That's about them and not the kid. I know of some alum of swac schools coaching who will not let their best go to the same school they matriculated to if a state P5 is recruiting them.
2nd, kids want exposure and to play against the best. they want to feel like its a big deal. that's why some of our schools need to become fbs. not every school but we have to face the facts that every kid would play on that level given the choice and the right circumstances... and were not on that level. I'm not a JSU fan but they would be a powerhouse in CUSA with natural rivals in memphis, and usm and would become a regional power.

Last edited:
Back