SU loses Ledbetter for opener against LTU

Southern what is up with yall eligibility issues with your players? This has become a year after year concern. No smack intended.

We just have better coverage, that's all.

Like I said... ask around. Unless you have a 1000 APR, you have ineligibles also.

That is not true. We had this discussion before. A kid can just leave school and sit out if he chooses. I have a cousin who played football at SEMO for one semester. He had the grades but didn't want to play football and he sat out until he figured out his next move. He is back in college now but I am sure they lost a retention point. They may be able to get it back now that he is back in college but I'm sure they lost it. You don't have to be ineligible to leave school.

That is not true. We had this discussion before. A kid can just leave school and sit out if he chooses. I have a cousin who played football at SEMO for one semester. He had the grades but didn't want to play football and he sat out until he figured out his next move. He is back in college now but I am sure they lost a retention point. They may be able to get it back now that he is back in college but I'm sure they lost it. You don't have to be ineligible to leave school.
You don't have to be eligible to remain in school either (Ledbetter is in school and on track to graduate).

We just have better coverage, that's all.

Like I said... ask around. Unless you have a 1000 APR, you have ineligibles also.

Also, it's not about coverage... you all steadily losing STARTERS every year to grades. That is why people hear about you all. Otherwise, no one could care. Maybe JSU does lose a 6th string RB from time to time but no one ever knew he was there to begin with. When is the last time you heard of JSU losing a starter or even a second string player to academics?

Hey if you've watched SU over the past three years you know they play just enough defense , so this is a non issue. They just want the ball back!!!!

Hey if you've watched SU over the past three years you know they play just enough defense , so this is a non issue. They just want the ball back!!!!

LOL ... that's what it looked like at times...

In reality, out of all of those folks that were deemed ineligible/not returned to the team, Ledbetter's the only defensive starter. The only other person of significance was an O-lineman that was projected to start in fall camp.

You would think the university would have tightened their academic protocols with their athletes after the APR stuff. But then again, you can be ineligible simply by changing majors or dropping certain classes. Some of it's on the individual student, some of it's on academic advising.

BTW: It happens a lot more often at a lot more places than you think.

Back