SWAC and MEAC announcement this afternoon "Celebration Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different time and different atmosphere that's surrounding our football, we have to fix the small problems first to draw a crowd. The time is just wrong to be honest, again deeper than what I'm saying and all yall seeing is an 'added' game with the word 'bowl' slapped on it. I read through some comments before making my post but some that I read which focused on the 9 game format kills this game, and before you said it doesn't have anything to do with this game it does in a sense, We play every team in the SWAC, we don't have any type of games against the MEAC teams per say, if we can do maybe 2 or 3 then this game would become a big draw, back in the day, if SU played FAMU in the season and we got whooped, this game would have the Nation lining up to see them in a rematch, now it may draw a crowd if SU plays FAMU, but it really won't do much justice to say if they had played in the regular season or so, not just a FAMU but anybody from the other conference.
I can't really say right now and go in, but I just don't see this bowl game in Year 4 being a success. its just too much that we the SWAC/MEAC and other HBCU schools have to clean up to have a setup like this work for 20 to 30 years from now

Let me ask you this Blue, what killed the heritage bowl in the 1st place?

Okay I got ya. Can't say that even remotely agree with your theory though.

First of all nobody even remotely claim to be excited about this game because it's a black bowl. The argument was exactly the opposite.

How you got that twisted I have no idea. Personally to me it's just a bowl game that happens to be between two hbcu conference, that I actually didn't want to happen, but I'm not going to apologize for it.

This idea that it's had to be FAMU/SU to be a success is total made up and false. They said the same thing about the SCG, and the alcorn game should have proven that for you.

Here are the number for the HB, and not only did we not play every school earlier that season, but the FAMU game isn't even in the top five for attendance.

Screenshot_2015-03-18-12-20-53_zpsclai9pb4.png

Now as for why the HB was stop. It ain't rocket science.

The Heritage Bowl is a dormantNCAADivision IFootball Championship Subdivision (FCS) bowl game pitting a team from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) against a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference(SWAC). It was hoped that it would become a true national championship game for historically black universities, but sometimes the conference champions declined the automatic bowl bid in order to participate in the NCAA's then-Division I-AA playoffs instead. This was an especially common issue for the MEAC, often leaving its runner-up to represent the conference in the bowl. Because of the MEAC conference unwillingness to send its conference champion to the bowl game, the television contract was ended and eventually the game, even though attendance to the game surpass some higher division bowl games. Perhaps not coincidentally, the SWAC won most of the Heritage Bowls that were held. The game was played in Miami, Florida, in 1991;Tallahassee, Florida, in 1993; and Atlanta, Georgia, from 1994–1999.[1] The Heritage Bowl was a successor to the Pelican Bowl, which pitted MEAC versus SWAC teams during the 1970s.[2]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Bowl

End of story.

So, what's your solution?
It's too much to type but
Okay I got ya. Can't say that even remotely agree with your theory though.

First of all nobody even remotely claim to be excited about this game because it's a black bowl. The argument was exactly the opposite.

How you got that twisted I have no idea. Personally to me it's just a bowl game that happens to be between two hbcu conference, that I actually didn't want to happen, but I'm not going to apologize for it.

This idea that it's had to be FAMU/SU to be a success is total made up and false. They said the same thing about the SCG, and the alcorn game should have proven that for you.

Here are the number for the HB, and not only did we not play every school earlier that season, but the FAMU game isn't even in the top five for attendance.

Screenshot_2015-03-18-12-20-53_zpsclai9pb4.png

Now as for why the HB was stop. It ain't rocket science.

The Heritage Bowl is a dormantNCAADivision IFootball Championship Subdivision (FCS) bowl game pitting a team from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) against a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference(SWAC). It was hoped that it would become a true national championship game for historically black universities, but sometimes the conference champions declined the automatic bowl bid in order to participate in the NCAA's then-Division I-AA playoffs instead. This was an especially common issue for the MEAC, often leaving its runner-up to represent the conference in the bowl. Because of the MEAC conference unwillingness to send its conference champion to the bowl game, the television contract was ended and eventually the game, even though attendance to the game surpass some higher division bowl games. Perhaps not coincidentally, the SWAC won most of the Heritage Bowls that were held. The game was played in Miami, Florida, in 1991;Tallahassee, Florida, in 1993; and Atlanta, Georgia, from 1994–1999.[1] The Heritage Bowl was a successor to the Pelican Bowl, which pitted MEAC versus SWAC teams during the 1970s.[2]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Bowl

End of story.

I feel you big brother, but if you look at the attendance to those games that were played back then what school brought what crowed, granted it was the same school (SU) most of times but look at the game that SU wasn't in it??
And that was almost x years ago so again I am only saying that in year 4 or 5 that this game will stink..
And the SCG I would like to see how long it holds up in Houston again playing with this 9 poo conference

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bighead, I've read your posts and see the conclusion you've come to. But I'm not seeing the reasons for you reaching your conclusion. If there's a specific post I need to re-read point me to it.

Bighead, I've read your posts and see the conclusion you've come to. But I'm not seeing the reasons for you reaching your conclusion. If there's a specific post I need to re-read point me to it.

Man big brother, it's the same reasons I've been preaching since day one...we need to focus on our own product and do it right, if we wanna have a bowl game, let's do it right so that it will last more than 10 years and be in one location and by doing it right it re-ordering the state of HBUC football.. we shouldn't be waiting on ESPN to strike up a deal for us etc. it just all around in bad shape, not the product of the field, that's improving, but our way of doing business and generating big money. we lack alot of sense in this department and that's what's killing us and will continue to kill us if we don't setup a better platform with our conferences.

Having a solution would indicate that he knows what the problem is, but he doesn't know the details of the existing problem, so you are asking for the impossible.

He said it would be too much to type. But he sure ranted and raved during the HBCU/PWI discussion.

Having a solution would indicate that he knows what the problem is, but he doesn't know the details of the existing problem, so you are asking for the impossible.
Lol dude I've been stated some of problems,
He said it would be too much to type. But he sure ranted and raved during the HBCU/PWI discussion.

Let's do this, you'll prolly be still posting on here umm within the next 5 years or so..Let's say you don't, moved on or whatever the case may be.
Please pull this thread up in 2020 and let's revisit the state of this game, I bet you a 100 dollars to a doughnut that this game won't be drawing 10,000 fans Lol...

Don't need no permanent rival as that will cause friction.

Exactly.

JSU and SU would claim each other as their permanent cross-conference rival. No problem with that given their history.

BUT Grambling could do the same thing with JSU or Alcorn as a way to save money and that's when the issues start arising. Grambling could have a legitimate gripe in saying that their proximity to Jackson and history with JSU gives them just as much a right to keep JSU on the schedule as SU. This is the SWAC so it would not surprise me to see these schools NOT try to roll each other off their schedule lol

With Valley/UAPB each could claim the other as a permanent cross conference opponent because of proximity . With the other schools, AAMU having TSU as their permanent East opponents rally doesn't make sense (the only positive being that a real rivalry could form with a permanent cross conference rival (A Maroon "Classic").

The rotating schedule would have to be understood and set in stone like the example I gave or the other posters have given.

It's too much to type but

I feel you big brother, but if you look at the attendance to those games that were played back then what school brought what crowed, granted it was the same school (SU) most of times but look at the game that SU wasn't in it??
And that was almost x years ago so again I am only saying that in year 4 or 5 that this game will stink..
And the SCG I would like to see how long it holds up in Houston again playing with this 9 poo conference

What is it with some of us, that everything has to be perfect or some sort of guarantee for us to support it?

Even after i showed proof that your attendance theory was wrong, you still are looking for that dark cloud huh?

Clearly you're going to be negative about it no matter what. I refuse to live in that space my friend. At the end of the day, you won't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket and that you can get a guarantee for.

Somebody or anybody answer this question

Tell me why the Peach Bowl is still around and it draws alot of ppl?? I'll wait on that answer

and when you answer that, ask yourself will this Celebration Bowl still be around in 2027, I bet the Peach Bowl will still be around Lol...smh..

Man big brother, it's the same reasons I've been preaching since day one...we need to focus on our own product and do it right, if we wanna have a bowl game, let's do it right so that it will last more than 10 years and be in one location and by doing it right it re-ordering the state of HBUC football.. we shouldn't be waiting on ESPN to strike up a deal for us etc. it just all around in bad shape, not the product of the field, that's improving, but our way of doing business and generating big money. we lack alot of sense in this department and that's what's killing us and will continue to kill us if we don't setup a better platform with our conferences.
Aren't all bowl games started this way. Some entity puts it together then find the participants and pay them. Conferences don't create bowls. They get invited. They sign contracts to play for a finite period at a particular price, How is this different???

Tell me why the Peach Bowl is still around and it draws alot of ppl?? I'll wait on that answer

and when you answer that, ask yourself will this Celebration Bowl still be around in 2027, I bet the Peach Bowl will still be around Lol...smh..

Here we go with this ridiculous comparison with two FBS schools that budgets are ten times ours.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What is it with some of us, that everything has to be perfect or some sort of guarantee for us to support it?

Even after i showed proof that your attendance theory was wrong, you still are looking for that dark cloud huh?

Clearly you're going to be negative about it no matter what. I refuse to live in that space my friend. At the end of the day, you won't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket and that you can get a guarantee for.

Big Brother, you're reaching back into a space (the late 90s) when the HBCU football was at it's peak and the platform that it sat on made sense, nowadays, today this crap isn't making any sense...cents $$$$ bruh it's deeper than just me saying this and I can't really make you understand the concept if you not trying to open your eyes. This is about $$$ and making $$$ flow for a long time, not just for year 1 and year 2, Year 11 should produce more revenue than Year 1 in these times I speak of...this is the level I'm speaking on, and this game won't do that with the type of setup we have within our conference and how our mindset we are Lol..it's deeper than rap big brother and in order for ppl to understand this game, the structure has to be setup up and adjusted to the times that we live in..We can't keep living off "oh it worked and turned out fine in the past" Lol..Do you think the committee ppl that's running the Rose Bowl still sitting on them old ass 1923 ideas?? This game gets bigger each year, and our mindset as a ppl aint on that level, better yet don't even know how to get on that level...some of yall gettin on me because I said the bowl game was a crap of BS and it won't draw 20 plus in Year 6 LOLOLOL...I'm just speaking my opinion and when you add what I'm saying up which is we have to change everything, then you'll understand the POV I'm coming from..All we doing is slapping a band-aid on stuff and trying to roll wit it LOL..terrible

Big Brother, you're reaching back into a space (the late 90s) when the HBCU football was at it's peak and the platform that it sat on made sense, nowadays, today this crap isn't making any sense...cents $$$$ bruh it's deeper than just me saying this and I can't really make you understand the concept if you not trying to open your eyes. This is about $$$ and making $$$ flow for a long time, not just for year 1 and year 2, Year 11 should produce more revenue than Year 1 in these times I speak of...this is the level I'm speaking on, and this game won't do that with the type of setup we have within our conference and how our mindset we are Lol..it's deeper than rap big brother and in order for ppl to understand this game, the structure has to be setup up and adjusted to the times that we live in..We can't keep living off "oh it worked and turned out fine in the past" Lol..Do you think the committee ppl that's running the Rose Bowl still sitting on them old ass 1923 ideas?? This game gets bigger each year, and our mindset as a ppl aint on that level, better yet don't even know how to get on that level...some of yall gettin on me because I said the bowl game was a crap of BS and it won't draw 20 plus in Year 6 LOLOLOL...I'm just speaking my opinion and when you add what I'm saying up which is we have to change everything, then you'll understand the POV I'm coming from..All we doing is slapping a band-aid on stuff and trying to roll wit it LOL..terrible

Your opinion along with many of us from our generation also said, that there would never be a black president in our life time didn't you? Lol..

Your opinion along with many of us from our generation also said, that there would never be a black president in our life time didn't you? Lol..
Lol
I hope you do know that Obama have little to no power Lol..nevermind big brother...

yea black president for us...Hooray Lol..smh

Here we go with this ridiculous comparison with two FBS schools that budgets are ten times ours.

Big brother let's take out the budget schools and all that stuff you wanna try and put in the gumbo pot, SU and TSU could go to the Peach Bowl, 14 years from now, but I bet you one thing the Peach Bowl will still be around. It's a system/platform that this bowl is setup on, the foundation is laid right for these bowls to thrive, our shat isn't laid right...

Aren't all bowl games started this way. Some entity puts it together then find the participants and pay them. Conferences don't create bowls. They get invited. They sign contracts to play for a finite period at a particular price, How is this different???
Big brother it's not even about the whole starting up process, your foundation is not setup to maintain the bowl game to produce great amounts of revenue is what I'm speaking about big brother.

Us, we can create another bowl game called the "Soul Bowl" & have the Celebration bowl game (wasn't that a bowl game or some type of game called the Soul Bowl, what happened to that if it was) but we can create that bowl game, but will both of these bowl games last longer than 5 years and get bigger each year is the question I ask you??
No because your foundation of HBCU football isn't setup right

The Peach Bowl is not a good comparison because it's one of the longer tenured bowls out there that generally grabs two ranked teams from power conferences.

Now if you would have asked why is the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl or the Beef O'Bradys Bowl are still around then you might have a case.

As long as bowl games continue to draw ratings, they'll be around. Would not surprise me to see 2-3 more bowl games added (maybe even the Pioneer Bowl getting on the big stage). The Popeyes Bowl was arguably the best bowl game of the season and it's in its 1st year.

What part of we're not an FBS level school are you not getting bruh?

Trying to make that comparison and then saying taking out the budget is like saying let's go drive to Texas on an empty tank of gas.

Let's do this, you'll prolly be still posting on here umm within the next 5 years or so..Let's say you don't, moved on or whatever the case may be. Please pull this thread up in 2020 and let's revisit the state of this game, I bet you a 100 dollars to a doughnut that this game won't be drawing 10,000 fans Lol...
So you are more concerned about the attendance of the game rather than the financial benefit of the schools/conferences involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back