GRAMBLING/TONY CLAYTON

JagBR

Will there still be a BAYOU CLASSIC?

http://theadvocate.com/home/4399546-125/grambling-plan-has-split-response

Grambling plan has split response By Koran Addo

November 11, 2012
0 Comments Southern board member Tony Clayton is pursuing a plan to fold Grambling State University into the Southern University system in what he called a cost-saving measure.

It’s a plan that Clayton acknowledges is likely to lead to bitterness among legislators and alumni from both schools. But the former board chairman said he will propose it at the Southern Board of Supervisors meeting Nov. 23, one day after the annual Bayou Classic football game in New Orleans between Grambling and Southern’s Baton Rouge campus

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tony Clayton is my kind of guy. He is doing exactly what Ive been saying for years. There are too many HBCUs on the FCS level. Grambling needs to be folded into SU.

Way to go Tony...you are a visionary...you are the man.

That is really cold GR.....:shame:

Tony Clayton is my kind of guy. He is doing exactly what Ive been saying for years. There are too many HBCUs on the FCS level. Grambling needs to be folded into SU.

Why does a historic school such as Grambling needs to be folded? The same vision whites has had for years, so their goes Tony's vision.

This is way over your head. The Southern University System has 5 distinct schools. Grambling would be the 6th, would remain the same (name included) and nothing would change radically. They would just move from the ULS to SUS (I don't see how the change would be beneficial)

Last edited:
This is way over your head. The Southern University System has 5 distinct schools. Grambling would be the 6th, would remain the same (name included) and nothing would change radically. They would just move from the ULS to SUS (I don't see how the change would be beneficial)

That is what some people are afraid of. Instead of 5 distict schools, we are slowly moving toward 1 "school" with 1 person trying to run it.

easy here,

Man u need to stop it......It will be a matter of time before JSU be combined with the other community colleges......U know those Miss. folk trying to save as well.........

EASY HERE,

HE DON'T KNOW WHAT HE TALKING ABOUT !!!

That is what some people are afraid of. Instead of 5 distict schools, we are slowly moving toward 1 "school" with 1 person trying to run it.

I'm not sure why Mason would want to run 1 school when he is running 5. Don't feel compelled to answer that. I kind of already know your feelings. :lol: :emlaugh:

I will have to say though, with the moves Jindal is making right now, something is going to have to be done to protect both HBCUs. UL system just brought in a new president from Texas, who's agenda do you think she is going to be supporting?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TC wouldn't be able to make such crazy statements if his Republican buddies weren't running the State of Louisiana. Stuff like this just might get Black folks in North Louisiana to get out to vote. Maybe we can get him to say that he is drawing up a plan to end all second line parades in New Orleans.

TC wouldn't be able to make such crazy statements if his Republican buddies weren't running the State of Louisiana. Stuff like this just might get Black folks in North Louisiana to get out to vote. Maybe we can get him to say that he is drawing up a plan to end all second line parades in New Orleans.
:lol:

Here are a few thoughts on the article.

I wonder what else was said that was not reported in the article.

----------

The proposal calls for Southern and Grambling to collaborate on research initiatives and program offerings. It would essentially give the Southern system footholds in north and south Louisiana to serve its core constituents — minority students, many of whom come from low- to moderate-income families.

Research collaborations can occur between schools that are not in the same system or state. They can occur between a public and private school, an HBCU and PWC, and large and small schools.

Grambling President Frank G. Pogue Jr. was at the State Capitol on Thursday to discuss next year’s higher education budget with legislators. He called on Clayton to apologize for what he perceived as a slight to his school’s academic achievements.

“He needs to apologize to our faculty, our alumni and any student who hasn’t been born yet who will be coming to Grambling State University someday,” Pogue said. “I have to say I’m completely taken aback.”

I am glad that an HBCU president is defending his school.

Gov. Bobby Jindal and the Legislature, since 2008, have cut more than $425 million from higher education — $21 million from Southern — to balance state budgets.

Let me make a huge understatement. That is a lot of money.

These maps will strengthen your argument.

----------

www.dailykos.com/comments/1159944/48370540#c4

2012 county by county election maps
http://freedomslighthouse.net/2012-presidential-election-electoral-vote-map/
http://commoncts.blogspot.com/2012/11/us-2012-election-results-map-by-county.html

1860 slavery maps
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/12/11/map-of-the-last-u-s-slave-census-1860/
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/visualizing-slavery/
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/12/10/opinion/20101210_Disunion_SlaveryMap.html

Here are a few thoughts on the article.

I wonder what else was said that was not reported in the article.

----------

Research collaborations can occur between schools that are not in the same system or state. They can occur between a public and private school, an HBCU and PWC, and large and small schools.

I am glad that an HBCU president is defending his school.

Let me make a huge understatement. That is a lot of money.

Very good points.

You don't have to be in the same system to do some of the thing TC is proposing.

TC is running his mouth without putting a lot of thought into it.

TC is running his mouth without putting a lot of thought into it.

Are you just realizing that? This is no different when TC moved Southern's home games to Jackson, without realizing how it was going to affect the people that supports Southern. The only reason why TC is on Southern's Board is because of Piyush "Bobby" Jindal. Until Black folks in Louisiana can rally themselves together and vote in some of their candidates, you'll always see token Blacks in key positions that concerns Black communities the most. Right now, there are too many Black folks in Louisiana that doesn't know how Jindal and the Republican plan affect them. My dad and I had to explain to my older brother who's nearing retirement with the police department back home how Jindal's plan for state retirement benefits could affect him, which is part of Jindal's privatization plan to turn over state government funded programs to his rich buddies or so-called buddies.

Last edited:
Ole TC, Mason, and Jindal are all cut from the same cloth ... and the sad part about it is they got some folks fooled into believing that they got the best interest of both Southern and Grambling at heart ... SMH ...

Ole TC, Mason, and Jindal are all cut from the same cloth ... and the sad part about it is they got some folks fooled into believing that they got the best interest of both Southern and Grambling at heart ... SMH ...

I don't think they got anyone fooled. Right now, there are way too many Blacks in Louisiana that don't care how things are.

Not that I have taken a position either way, but is Grambling better served as a part of the UL System? Are the alums pleased with what the UL System does for Grambling? I don't know the answers to those questions, just wondering.

Back