Yes!!! Finally Bet Will Get Some Competition!

Ahhh, excuse me folks....MBC is available now and has been for the past year. It may not be in your areas, jelli I know you're in Houston, yet. It is on digital cable here in the ATL. It's an okay network. It is owned by Marlon Jackson, Willie Gary, Cecil Fielder and Evander Holyfield. Most of the programing is religious, but they do have informational shows also and some syndicated comedies. They also have HBCU sports. They mostly show MEAC and CIAA football and basketball, but I did catch the SU/Tulane from syndication through them. It's and excellent network, still in it's infancy stages but does a great job. It's sort of like the anti-BET or like BET was in the beginning (if ya'll are old enough to remember) CALL YOUR CABLE OPERATOR AND REQUEST IT!!!

Yes, adding to Bengel E. They have documentaries during the day such as Malcolm X, MLK, Angela Davis, etc.

MBC Network has also been on the air on the Baton Rouge Digital cable system. Also, there is another Black oriented network called NUE-TV. They don't show HBCU Sports, but they have some quality programming.

Uhh, I don't know bout ya'll

I think we should not only adhere our efforts to our own Media but we should focus on us in other mediums....For example, I was at some of my white partners crib last week, I took command of their remote control and turned their T.V. to the History Channel for the Shaka Zulu Mini series.....needless to say they could'nt turn away and watched for 4hrs straight. :)

It is good to know that there is an African American alternative to BET that offer a variety of programming. Hopefully if it isn't already in the Houston area programing that it will be soon. I will be checking. As for the History Channel, I agree they offer quality programming, but I think it is nice to know that MBC is available and we have an opportunity to support and be entertained by those who look like us.

Hopefully we'll get it here in Houston in 2002 when TimeWarner raise rates and add a few new channels....

Personally, I don't see the problem with BET, it's one network, that tries to cater to all forms of Black life, and it's impossible to cater to every walk of Black life, and not get some negative feedback, because, one particular facet of our people don't like what's being shown.

I know some don't like the content of their programming, because they show video's, or the late run sit-coms, but in reality, the name of the network is Black ENTERAINMENT Television.

For all of it's faults, BET has launched some nice careers, i.e. Anonda Lewis, Cedric The Entertainer, Paul Hunter, DL Hughley, Tavis Smiley (remember nobody was knocking at his door, before BET gave him a forum), and the hundreds of programmers, producers, video, and audio people, who the other networks wouldn't touch coming out of school. How far would some of these rappers, or new R&B artists, have gotten without BET showcasing them?

I know MTV wasn't always Black Friendly, back in the day, if you weren't Michael Jackson, Prince, Lionel Ritchie, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston, or Billy Ocean, you weren't getting any play, on MTV if you were Black.

Not to mention, the spin-off Networks it spawned, BET on Jazz (a form of Black Culture, that very many of us, pay little, or no attention to), and BET Movies, a network, that showcases movies, that stars Black people, and movies that are directed by Black people, movies that HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel, will only run at the most obscure time of day, or night.

It's truly remarkable, that a network that was owned by us, lasted at long as it did under Black ownership, and turn a great profit in the end. The network started out as a Black alternative to MTV, and NBC's Friday Night Videos, because, again, they didn't show us, hence the name Black ENTERTAINMENT Television.

Sure BET could be a lot better, but the way the Network has evolved, and is continuing to evolve, I won't throw her away, there is a little something for everyone on BET, it may not be as much,as you would want, but there is something for everyone, in it's programming.

When Bob Johnson put BET up for sale, not one prominent Black person made an offer to buy it, but yet we complain about the network's programming. When NBC was up for sale, Bill Cosby, and Oprah Winfrey, put their names in the ringer, but when it came to BET, they did nothing, nor has anyone tried to start another network, until MBC came along.

Me being a consumer, if I don't like the product, I don't buy it, or support that business, and if BET doesn't suit me, I just don't tune in, and find something else to soothe my intellect, or enterainment.

I wish MBC luck, I will support it, just like I do BET, even if it doesn't soothe my taste, because it's a Black Venture, and our opportunities don't arise that often, in that medium. Like Bob Johnson, these men, are walking into something, that they are not welcomed in, and I won't make them feel any more unwanted, than the others will make them feel.

Thank You Bob Johnson, for doing something, others thought about, and talked about, and thank you MBC, for finally walking into a door, that Bob Johnson, left open 20 some odd years ago, when others thought about it, and talked about it.

NICE

Thank you D..

Man you just laid it all out there....again. I get so sick of hearing black folks always bashing BET and not giving Bob Johnson the Credit he deserves. The man did a remarkable thing. And to show you how remarkable his feat was....it took 20 years for anyone to offer him any competition! I salute you Bob Johnson and BET!

I could not have said it any better D........

I agree. Well said D-NICE.

But I do feel that it's important that BET has some competition so that'll it will stay focused and continue to look for innovative and successful ways to both entertain and educate black people. I wish the best of luck to this new network as well as to the future of BET and any other network based with positive goals for the black community.

Back