Wow Jackson Principal(Male) fired, Claimed He was Sexually Harrased by Male Superint

97JSULEGEND

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061220/NEWS/61220035

December 20, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

Related Items:
Chastain Middle School principal's letter of termination
PDF file: Complaint filed with EEOC

PDF file: Jackson Public Schools? response to complaint
PDF file: Dr. Earl Watkins? response to allegations

Audio: Michael Ellis discusses his claim against Jackson Superintendent Earl Watkins

Jackson principal fired, claims sexual harassment by ed chief

By Chris Joyner
chris.joyner@jackson.gannett.com

The Clarion-Ledger

Chastain Middle School Principal Michael Ellis has been fired by Jackson Public Schools.

Ellis? termination comes after he and his wife, an assistant principal in the district, made claims that Ellis was sexually harassed by Superintendent Earl Watkins over the course of several months this year.

Ellis, whose wife is Wilkins Elementary School Assistant Principal Rachel Ellis, claims that, beginning in March, Watkins made overt sexual advances, repeatedly calling and text messaging him.

In a public statement, Watkins labeled the charges ?patently false.?

?I intend to fight back by appropriate legal action, not only by defending myself from false charge, also by bringing a lawsuit for defamation,? he said.

Ellis said he reported the behavior to Assistant Superintendent for Middle Schools Randy Bernamonti, but was told in October he could avoid retaliation if he drop the complaint. After refusing to drop the matter, Ellis said he was informed he was being targeted for a school audit.

A statement issued by JPS law firm Balch & Bingham claims Ellis was ?in serious jeopardy due to his poor job performance? and the discrimination claim is a ?legal tactic in an attempt to save his job.?

The Ellises filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission on Nov. 14 alleging sexual discrimination and a hostile work environment. Rachel Ellis claims she was passed over for promotion because he husband refused Watkins? advances.

Re: Wow Jackson Principal(Male) fired, Claimed He was Sexually Harrased by Male Supe

5841979_SS.jpg

Michael Ellis

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061221/NEWS/612210399/1001/NEWS

December 21, 2006

Fired JPS principal allegedly harassed

By Chris Joyner
chris.joyner@jackson.gannett.com

Jackson Public Schools has fired Chastain Middle School Principal Michael Ellis after an audit allegedly found payroll "improprieties."

Ellis' termination comes after he and his wife, an assistant principal in the district, made claims that Ellis was sexually harassed by Superintendent Earl Watkins over the course of several months this year.

Ellis, whose wife is Wilkins Elementary School Assistant Principal Rachel Ellis, claims that, beginning in March, Watkins made overt sexual advances, repeatedly calling and text messaging him.

In a public statement, Watkins labeled the charges "patently false."

"I intend to fight back by appropriate legal action, not only by defending myself from false charge, also by bringing a lawsuit for defamation," he said.

Jackson School Board Vice President Jonathan Larkin would not comment on the specifics of the charges against Watkins or the allegations against Ellis. However, he voiced his support for the superintendent.

"He is one of the most upstanding individuals that I know of in this community, and he has my unwavering support," Larkin said.

Larkin said he did not know if the audit discovered money missing from the school but said the matter is being referred to the Hinds County district attorney for criminal investigation.

Ellis said the audit was a targeted attack on him after he reported Watkins' alleged sexual advances to Assistant Superintendent for Middle Schools Randy Bernamonti and district personnel director Shae Robinson.

An Oct. 3 letter from JPS attorney JoAnne Shepherd told the Ellises they would not "experience any retaliation or repercussions of any kind in any manner by the school district relative to their positions or careers in the district" if the matter was dropped.

"It is my understanding that Mr. Ellis declines to pursue the matter further and considers it closed," Shepherd wrote.

Ellis said Wednesday he did not drop the complaint, and on Oct. 20 he was notified he would be audited.

Ellis had asked Watkins to be his professional mentor shortly after being named principal of Chastain Middle in 2004, and the two talked and corresponded by e-mail throughout much of the next year. There were no sexual advances during that period, Ellis said.

Then, after several months of little contact with the superintendent, Ellis said Watkins again began calling and text messaging him, often many times a day and at odd hours. Ellis claims these conversations were more personal and included illicit suggestions and invitations that Ellis meet Watkins at secluded locations.

"He basically said he wanted to be able to trust me and that he only fooled with somebody who had as much to lose as he did," he said. "He called at the time at night, late night sometimes. ... It got to the point where I just stopped answering the phone."

Ellis has no proof of the tone of the conversations, save a handful of text messages saved on his district-owned cell phone. One message dated June 28, which Ellis' attorney Lisa Ross allowed reporters to see Wednesday, reads: "I am in the office if you are coming downtown. You obviously like making me wait."

Ellis claims the message came from Watkins. A call placed by The Clarion-Ledger to the number listed on the message went to voice mail, and the message was not returned.

The Ellises filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission on Nov. 14 alleging sexual discrimination and a hostile work environment. Rachel Ellis claims she was passed over for promotion because her husband refused Watkins' advances.

Ross said the Ellises already have petitioned the U.S. Justice Department for permission to sue the school district - a required step in bringing a job discrimination complaint.

A statement issued by Shepherd claims Ellis' accusations were proven false by an investigation conducted by "a team of expert lawyers" hired by the school district.

Shepherd contends Ellis' job was "in serious jeopardy due to his poor job performance" and the harassment claim is a "legal tactic in an attempt to save his job."

Ellis claims the only irregularities the audit turned up involved improper coding of substitute teachers and a dispute over nine hours of overtime pay applied for by one employee. Both cases were paperwork errors and did not result in lost money to the district, he said.

Ross said Michael Ellis will exercise his right to a hearing on his termination and will press the harassment charge in federal court.

"This is about righting a wrong," she said. "It's about holding a person accountable who is in a position of public trust."

For his part, Watkins called the accusations "outrageous" and said he will be vindicated.

"It remains my prayerful hope that this hurtful matter will come to a conclusion in such a way that there will not be any permanent damage to JPS or my family on account of these reckless and false statements," he said.

In an unrelated incident involving Chastain Middle School earlier this month, first-year teacher Carla Hughes was charged with two counts of capital murder in the slaying of Avis Banks, a Ridgeland woman who was five months pregnant when she was found shot and stabbed in her garage.

Police have interviewed Keyon Pittman, Banks' fiance who also works at the middle school but say he is not considered a suspect in the crime.

Re: Wow Jackson Principal(Male) fired, Claimed He was Sexually Harrased by Male Supe

Looks like some positions are open....

Man...........................What is going on at Chastain?
The news for them the last 3 weeks ain't been good at all.

1 teacher in jail for 2 count's of capitol murder, basket ball coach fired for not showing back up for work after murder, and now this. :shame:

Them kid's heads is gonna be all messed up by the end of this school year.

damn, with the mayor and his antics, that infamous cop on his cell phone camera ("Frank, you is too educated to say some dumb schit like that!" :lol: ) and now this.

Always something in Jackson
:lol:

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Dayummm, I went to Middle School and High School with Mike.

Man, WTF??????

mannnnn if this is true ya boy Watkins is a "Homo-thug". he might be cool with the booty bandit in H-town....:(

this is sooooooooooooooooooo GAY!

Man I taught 6 grade a Powell when Watkins brother was the Principal. I hope this isn't true. His brother was a cool dude.

There's a LOT more to this story...:read:

Read all of the documents filed by all parties. The harrasments filed, Dr. Watkins reponse, JPS response, the video. Man why didn't he file his harrasment the first time it happened. I couldn't let this ride to save my life. Dude approached me the next day I'm filling a written statment and doing all I could to prove it.

Read all of the documents filed by all parties. The harrasments filed, Dr. Watkins reponse, JPS response, the video. Man why didn't he file his harrasment the first time it happened. I couldn't let this ride to save my life. Dude approached me the next day I'm filling a written statment and doing all I could to prove it.

:read:

So is it agreed that the former principal is a fudgepacker too?

Exactly! And Ellis has no credible evidence to prove his case (as far as we know), only "he said she said stuff". That'll never hold up in court.

Dumbass shoulda gotten physical evidence of sexual harassment to support his case before he ever opened his mouth to anybody, then he could've named his price for an out of court settlement with the school district.
Seems like he's all but blown his own case.

Another thing, if Ellis doesn't have any credible evidence, he may end up losing a counter lawsuit that's being brought against him by the superintendent.
Ellis could be the one who ends up paying out a big sum of money IF he's been found lying.

Exactly! And Ellis has no credible evidence to prove his case (as far as we know), only "he said she said stuff". That'll never hold up in court.

Dumbass shoulda gotten physical evidence of sexual harassment to support his case before he ever opened his mouth to anybody, then he could've named his price for an out of court settlement with the school district.
Seems like he's all but blown his own case.

Another thing, if Ellis doesn't have any credible evidence, he may end up losing a counter lawsuit that's being brought against him by the superintendent.
Ellis could be the one who ends up paying out a big sum of money IF he's been found lying.

Physical evidence of sexual harrassment??

The thing is, most of this is he said/he said. The text messages shownmay not say much, but if phone records show an unusual amount of calls and texts to him from Watkins, that along with what happened to him may be enough to warrent a closer look. I'd be careful passing judgement before all the facts are out - Sexual Harrassment cases are tricky.

I would have kept my mouth shut.

Things are getting ready to fall out the closet now. :read:

I went to high school with Dr. Watkin and believe me I am not surprise.

I went to high school with Dr. Watkin and believe me I am not surprise.
Someone said they knew Earl was "limp" when he first became superintendent.

Someone said they knew early was "limp" when he first became superintendent.

I heard that too. Word had it (back then) that some members of the School Board 'hand-picked' Watkins over D. Hopkins-Foster for Supe because of his 'special qualifications'... :what:

Yeah, this is gunna get FONKEY before it's over with......

the way yall talkin it look like a good example of "Downlow Men".

this is some sick ****!:(

Back