Worst schools in the country based on return on investment (ROI)

An expanded list.
Fugg that list. Majority HBCU's on this list. Still Grambling proud!

The key to ROI is being able to use your education as a means to become more self-sufficient. Some people graduate college and have to work jobs by others 24/7/365 in order to maintain. Some even work beyond retirement to makeup the difference in pay as cost of living rises. If a person was educately well-rounded, working extra jobs and working beyond retirement would not be needed. A valuable skill set I learned from my dad, which are skills that Black churches should be promoting.

The key to ROI is being able to use your education as a means to become more self-sufficient. Some people graduate college and have to work jobs by others 24/7/365 in order to maintain. Some even work beyond retirement to makeup the difference in pay as cost of living rises. If a person was educately well-rounded, working extra jobs and working beyond retirement would not be needed. A valuable skill set I learned from my dad, which are skills that Black churches should be promoting.

We also have to promote economics to our children. It's essential for us to survive and thrive. Look, we have to start making our own door, and stop depending on others.

We also have to promote economics to our children. It's essential for us to survive and thrive. Look, we have to start making our own door, and stop depending on others.

Being self-reliant and self-sufficient are the keys to economic independence. As of now, all I see are so-called educated Black folks working their asses off for others. Basically, making a paycheck, but spending it as fast as they make it.

Being self-reliant and self-sufficient are the keys to economic independence. As of now, all I see are so-called educated Black folks working their asses off for others. Basically, making a paycheck, but spending it as fast as they make it.

Correct. Do you know, who discovered Rockstar energy drink? Go, look it up. See, the only way for us to be respected. We need to put some economics behind us.

Correct. Do you know, who discovered Rockstar energy drink? Go, look it up. See, the only way for us to be respected. We need to put some economics behind us.

I'm sure a lot of things were discovered by us, but falls in a separate category from being self-reliant. Self-reliant is when a person is able to do things for self that is typically done by others. This creates less dependence by not shelling out monies to others. Basically, reverse the cash flow out (expenses) out of one's bank account. The cost of most things done by others is mostly in labor, such as car repairs by others could cost $1,200 with parts only being $200. Labor cost is six times as much as parts. One could easily save $1,000 if they educated themselves to do their own work and this is not just for car repairs.

Last edited:
As someone who looked at these numbers for a living for 9 years. Private HBCUs overall tend to have some of the worst roi overall.

Yeah. They price up with their with some of the most selective schools but dont have the post graduation earnings or graduation rates to match.
Because most women go into teaching or social work. Which are long term stable careers not high quick money making careers. The average engineer makes good money but switches job at least three to four times.heck more than that sometimes. While the teacher or social work stays on the same job and makes money over time for thirty plus years retiring at 55-59 and engineers work until 63-66

Last edited:

Here's another list based on school's tuition. Quite of few private HBCUs in the mid-Atlantic states. I was surprised to see who was number 1.

Because most women go into teaching or social work. Which are long term stable careers not high quick money making careers. The average engineer makes good money but switches job at least three to four times.heck more than that sometimes. While the teacher or social work stays on the same job and makes money over time for thirty plus years retiring at 55-59 and engineers work until 63-66
Even though I think the era of the 30 year teacher is over. A big part of it is that we are culturally taught to go to college so you can get a career and give back. Going after the money is almost frowned upon in our community to an extent.

Here's another list based on school's tuition. Quite of few private HBCUs in the mid-Atlantic states. I was surprised to see who was number 1.

I see that Valley is on the top of your list there. But, is it really their fault or the state of MS's fault?

Last edited:
I see that Valley is on the top of your list there. But, is it really their fault of the state of MS's fault?
When we were looking at the earnings numbers back in 2014. On average, graduates of the PWI's in Mississippi and Louisiana were earning 10k more per year, 3 years after graduating. With that being said, I don't see how Valley ended up this high. I get the private HBCU's for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Even though I think the era of the 30 year teacher is over. A big part of it is that we are culturally taught to go to college so you can get a career and give back. Going after the money is almost frowned upon in our community to an extent.
I agree with what you're saying, but folks who go into teaching and social work do it for a love of giving back and not the money. Without teachers we wouldn't have scientist, doctors nor engineers. It has to be driven in you by someone. Social workers are in great demand in the inner cities and poor community. Plus everyone doesn't have the ability to solve problems or do math at a high level.

I see that Valley is on the top of your list there. But, is it really their fault of the state of MS's fault?
No. Also we have to be honest about racist white hiring practices play a role in this. There is no secret that white males will make more money in the same position as a black person. If DeAndre the black engineer and Caleb the white engineer both start company AZ as an engineer and the starting salary range is 40-65k AZ will start DeAndre at 40,500 and start Caleb at 57,500. With in two years Caleb is at 65,000 and DeAndre is at 42,500. Statistics don't show this. Why you ask? Because it would show the true racist views of white America.

Correction: That's not my list. I only posted the list on here from some other source. This is what others are saying. IMO, we need to take note of what others are saying, but to answer your question, it's probably a combination of things that caused this.

In some cases, graduating from college is frowned upon by some in our communities. My older brother who never graduated college is always challenging me on how much he knows, particular about fast cars and turbochargers and that's it. Fast cars were his passion since high school, but when it comes to other areas of interest he lacks. I can take a quick walk around his house and notice where his life has been stuck in a time warp. He still does things that are very cost inefficient and outdated. Explaining to him that there are newer and cheaper technologies that he could utilize is like talking to a brick wall. Economically we need to reconnect with our communities. There's a big disconnect between those who finished college and those who didn't in our communities.

Last edited:
In some cases, graduating from college is frowned upon by some in our communities. My older brother who never graduated college is always challenging me on how much he knows, particular about fast cars and turbochargers and that's it. Fast cars were his passion since high school, but when it comes to other areas of interest he lacks. I can take a quick walk around his house and notice where his life has been stuck in a time warp. He still does things that are very cost inefficient and outdated. Explaining to him that there are newer and cheaper technologies that he could utilize is like talking to a brick wall. Economically we need reconnect with our communities. There's a big disconnect between those who finished college and those who didn't in our communities.
Bruh,
It is some people who graduated who still have not matured.

Bruh,
It is some people who graduated who still have not matured.

That's true too, but we can eventually weed them out. Our communities are economically falling behind and a lot has to do with that disconnect.

Back