Working on a project to convert cd to mp3's

pv_symbiotic

Ghetto Bourgeois
Working on a project to convert cds to mp3's

I started on a project to convert my cd into mp3 format. I have about 500 cd?s dating between 86 to the present. I converted about 100 of them over the weekend. I am using Real Player to do the conversion because I am a fan of Real Player?s auto naming features when it rips the cd. I was impressed when Real Player database was able to locate an entry for my Whodini cd from 86.

My current repository is the following setup. I have a server with 200 Gig mirror drives. I have a pc with a 200 Gig drive that is naked I am quickly running out of disk space so I am about to purchase a 320 Gig drive to place in my pc with the 200 Gig naked drive. This is my Band-Aid fix until I purchase a server with 6 bays for drives that I will populate with 320 Gig drives in a RAID 1+0 configuration.

When this project is complete I will pack up my cds and place them in storage for protection.

Have any of you all worked on a project similar to this?

I haven't but I did have this idea to do something similar. Basically I want to convert all my CDs to MP3 and put my top 20 movies on the computer and use that computer as a server so that I can view any movie and listen to any CD from any computer in my house.

I think you have an interesting idea, let me know how it turns out.

It turned spectacular. I ready have movies, utilities, etc on my server. I was running out of space so I started using the hard drive in my pc, 200 Gig SATA drive. If you can?t tell I like the SATA Drive and the Adaptec RAID solution. I ordered a second hard drive for my pc 320 Gig. I don't like running naked, but I don?t have enough drive bays to mirror, so I am planning on purchasing a second server with 6 bays for SATA drives. I like the mirroring concept. Mirroring is good enough for my job and now that it's affordable, I started mirroring last year on my server. I currently have a 200 Gig SATA mirror with the OS running on a 40 Gig drive naked. I don't care if I lose the OS.

My philosophy has always been if it is valuable then it will be mirrored.

I can say right now that everything is coming along as planned. I just look forward to packing up all of my cds.

Dude when I say mirror I am taking about RAID 1. Please tell me that you know what RAID 1 is? If you had to ask what is mirroring then you don't know about the different RAID solutions. There are many RAIDS to choose from buy here are some: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5...

Okay, a mirror is where you have two drives normally same size. When a write occurs in RAID 1 configuration the data is written to two drives. If one of the drives fail, you don't lose the data and the computer/server doesn't hang or crash because the second half of a mirror (2nd disk) is still functioning. When you replace the bad disk, the mirror will copy the data from the good disk to the new disk until you have rebuilt your mirror.

RAID is the best way to go to avoid unplanned downtime. The prices for RAID are affordable.

I will cross the Terabyte line when I purchase my next server because it will have 6 hard drive bays so that I can do my mirroring (RAID 1). On Wednesday I will hit the 720 Gig threshold when my new hard drive arrives.

Just imagine how much data I will lose if I had a drive failure and I do not have mirroring in place.

Remember that I am copying my Cd's I was up until 1am last night converting. I would be ticked if I had a drive failure and lost everything.

I have 200 Gig mirror, now I need a RAID solution for the 520 Gigs that are naked.

I'm a software dude, I know little to nothing about hardware and hardware configuration. Thanks for sharing that info.

Once you got all your CDs copied up, let me know and I will send you a hard-drive so that you can load all your music on it for me.

Re: Working on a project to convert cds to mp3's

pv_symbiotic said:
Have any of you all worked on a project similar to this?

Mann I don't even know what you are saying.......:lmao: You lost me after I'm converting my CD's to mp3. :lol:

But it's very interesting reading and I am learning something even if I don't hardly understand. :emlaugh:

That's an interesting configuration that you have going pv_symb. Interesting indeed. U built functional logic into your RAID config such that even write errors are minimized. Interesting. I take it that you also have a UPS or 2 around as well. ;) How much duplexing did you do @ the crib? If you tell me that you have a primary/secondary srvr config I'm going to pass out! :scared:

Sounds like an overly neat idea for home use. Personally, I wouldn't be prone to adding a RAID config @ the crib, of course, because I wouldn't anticipate the data that I'm writing to be non-reproducable or overly important (especially if I already have it stored on a "disk" medium to begin w/).

I haven't dealt w/ RAID related systems for well over 10 years now and I'm most certain that the tech has advanced and that the prices have VVV as well. I helped to create the olden <b>SeaStar</b> RAID system back in.... lol How much are the avg 'starter'/small business systems going for these days? I don't get into HW the way I used to HAVE to back in the day. :)

~how many "avg" musical CDs can you store on one 300 gig drv? I'm really curious now. :D

I had flash backs when I pulled out my Club Noveau, ED O and the Bulldogs and my Bobby Womack Cds.

I just finished Steady B and I found a SADE cd still wrapped in plastic. I should be finish by Thursday evening.

Damn Right this stuff is valuable to me. The concept came the napster craze back in the day. I took the time to download some of Prince's remixes and hard to find stuff. How many people do you know that has Sex Shooter song by Vanity. Applonia wasn't the first woman that Prince had in mind when he wrote the song. He kicked Vanity to the curb and inserted Applonia into the group.

I did not want to take a chance on losing it because of a hard drive failure or someone borrowing my cds and not returning this. I downloaded most of my napster music via dialup and I am not going to lost it. Mirror is the best thing for me.

As far as counting how many cds will fit onto a 320 Gig drive, I don't thing that is going to happen.

I am ripping the Xclan cd now.

Re: Working on a project to convert cds to mp3's

Bengal E said:
Mann I don't even know what you are saying.......:lmao: You lost me after I'm converting my CD's to mp3. :lol:

But it's very interesting reading and I am learning something even if I don't hardly understand. :emlaugh:

In layman's terms...I insert one cd in car and I play 9 cds on the one.

I thinking that the average MP3 file is 5Meg, so if you have a 300 Gig HD, then you can get 60,000 MP3 songs on a HD.

Again, let me know when you are complete so I can send you a HD.

pv_symbiotic said:
I did not want to take a chance on losing it because of a hard drive failure or someone borrowing my cds and not returning this. I downloaded most of my napster music via dialup and I am not going to lost it. Mirror is the best thing for me.

Point very well taken! :tup: Makes very good sense. I admire.

Sperm, I didn't feel like calculating. lol Avg size for a particular song? I wasn't going to touch that. lol But, I'm w/ you. I'd LOVE to have MOST of my collectibles on a HD medium for future use. I'm to a point now where I <b>do not loan any CDs whatsoever</b>. If someone wants to "borrow" something, I'll burn them a copy on the spot. Have 3 burners, will make it happen in 10-15mins depending on which one is used. lol I was sick and tired of scratched CDs and broken CD cases being returned. From EVERYONE!!! So, my distrust of peeps initially made me start copying/burning CDs. Even the significant other has to have CDs burnt and is forbidden from taking CDs from home. She scratches them like she's scratching her head or something. :confused:

:shame:

SATA is Serial ATA, which means it (the hard-drive) connects to the motherboard using a new technology wire for better performance.

Older Hard Drives connected to the motherboard using Ultra ATA.

Me, I'm buying all the Ultra ATA hard drives because they are the CHEAPEST.

Now as for RAID, you said don't say bug spray, so I can't help you.

Da_Sperm said:
SATA is Serial ATA, which means it (the hard-drive) connects to the motherboard using a new technology wire for better performance.

Older Hard Drives connected to the motherboard using Ultra ATA.

Me, I'm buying all the Ultra ATA hard drives because they are the CHEAPEST.

Now as for RAID, you said don't say bug spray, so I can't help you.
:lol:

Ok PV_symbiotic your turn.

All I have to say is goggle, search for raid and read.

I am down to my last 3 cd's Prince "The Hits and B-Side". It was well worth it.

The project is complete. I would say that everything would took up about 100 Gigs of space.

Now I have the the 320 Gig drive and a RAID 1 card all plugged into my PC not server. I will start downloading movies off the net again.

Back