Woman in 'too hot for TV' suit gets $5 million

jelli

Music Lover
Woman in 'too hot for TV' suit gets $5 million
Cox News Service
Feb. 27, 2002 07:10:00

SAN MARCOS, Texas - Southwest Texas University student Amber Kulhanek went to spring break in 2000 on South Padre Island for her 21st birthday and ended up taking off her shirt at a wet T-shirt contest in Mexico.

A few months later Kulhanek saw herself in national ads for a Wild Party Girls video on the E! cable network, a red strip proclaiming "Too hot for TV" stamped across her naked breasts. Kulhanek, now a senior, said she was mortified when friends and relatives saw the ad and strangers began asking her to take her top off.

Claiming she had been targeted by the video's makers, who she said plied her with alcohol at a Matamoros bar, Kulhanek sued E! and the Florida-based Arco Media Group Inc. for invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

On Wednesday morning, Kulhanek won what her lawyer says is the first judgement of its kind against the video makers and earned a $5 million default judgement in the 22nd District Court. Lawyers for Arco Media never officially responded to the lawsuit and could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Videos like "Wild Party Girls Spring Break Uncensored" are sold by several companies through late night TV ads and the Internet and often feature drunken college women exposing themselves at Mardi Gras and spring break celebrations.

The Wild Party Girls series features more than 400 titles, according to a customer service representative with the company.

Kulhanek's lawyer, David Sergi, said Arco Media representatives conspired with bartenders to liquor up pretty young women and convince them to enter wet T-shirt contests. "We're hoping this sends a message to these pariahs that they can't booze (the women) up . . .so they really can't give consent," Sergi said. "It's really like rape."

Kulhanek, who never signed a consent form, said she couldn't believe it when she saw herself on TV. "I was just really shocked and humiliated," she said. "I just really hope they can learn to leave people alone."

Sergi said Kulhanek was put in a barbershop type chair where liquor was poured down her throat. "Before she knew it she was dead drunk," he said. "The people from Arco were egging her on to enter the wet T-shirt contest. The next thing she knew she was in front of a bunch of people with her shirt off."

Sergi said that although Kulhanek did not end up in the actual video, her image was in ads that ran for several months on E! and on the Wild Party Girls Internet site, where she could be found uncensored in the members section. The ads and the Internet picture have since been removed.

According to court documents, Kulhanek withdrew from classes at SWT in the fall of 2000 and suffered from insomnia as a result of the ads. Sergi said she has since re-enrolled and is set to graduate this spring.

Kulhanek will continue her lawsuit against E!, who she claims worked with Arco Media to target young women and shared revenue from the tapes. E! attorney Dale Jefferson said the entertainment network simply sold airtime to Arco Media. "Do we have a duty to censor advertisements wholly produced by third parties? We believe the legal answer to that legal question is no," he said.

Wednesday's default judgement calls for Kulhanek to receive $2.5 million for emotional distress, $2.5 million for her privacy claim and $10,000 in attorney's fees. Sergi said Kulhanek plans to donate part of her judgement to a women's shelter.

Sergi said he believes the judgement is the first against the makers of videos with nude college women.

In September, a Florida State University student who bared her breasts at Mardi Gras sued the makers of the "Girls Gone Wild" video series claiming invasion of privacy. An attorney for the video producers told the Associated Press that privacy protection does not extend to people who take their clothes off in public and especially not at large events where many people have video cameras.

Links referenced within this article

Find this article at:
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0227wildgirls-ON.html

Now this is S_ _!

Sergi said Kulhanek was put in a barbershop type chair where liquor was poured down her throat. "Before she knew it she was dead drunk," he said. "The people from Arco were egging her on to enter the wet T-shirt contest. The next thing she knew she was in front of a bunch of people with her shirt off."

She actually stayed in that chair and got "licked up" (drunk) and ended up taking her top off in front of millions.....and millions of people in San Padre. When she showed up on TV, she's humiliated and embarassed.
I always wondered what would happen if someone saw one of their friends on one of those tapes.

I think her momma or someone saw her. She was probably suposed to be some where else.

But had they fought her she wouldn't have won. I don't think.

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
Now this is S_ _!

She actually stayed in that chair and got "licked up" (drunk) and ended up taking her top off in front of millions.....and millions of people in San Padre. When she showed up on TV, she's humiliated and embarassed.
I always wondered what would happen if someone saw one of their friends on one of those tapes.

I say a skit simular to this on SNL 2 years ago. It was a riot. The grand parents, friends and neighbors called asked why was the girl on the tape.

The girl bragged about her dad being a judge.

wow

Show your tits, sue the video company, be set for life. How wonderful is that? Makes me wish I had a rack :lol:

Seriously, she should take some blame for that. They weren't exactly forcing the booze down her throat. She had to consent. After that, maybe she wasn't under control, but she shoulda thought about that before she got liquored up. Now she gets $5 million - something seems wrong to me. She deserved something for being embarassed, but doesn't seem like an invasion of privacy since she was naked in public. If anything, she should be charged for public indecency. As is, I guess she won't ever have to work again :rolleyes:

At least she's willing to donate some to help those who really get abused beyond their control.

I'm hoping the lawyer had a nice contingency fee set up, and is gonna get more than that $10,000.00 attorney's fees she was awarded.

Originally posted by pv_symbiotic

I say a skit simular to this on SNL 2 years ago. It was a riot. The grand parents, friends and neighbors called asked why was the girl on the tape.

The girl bragged about her dad being a judge.

I saw that same skit on SNL!! The parents were trying so hard to prove it wasn't her but she would always say something that would prove that it was her!! That was hilarious!

Then again, she might be suing because she didn't win the wet T-shirt contest!!! They must have told that her "rack" would be a 10-pointer is she was a deer when in actuality, she was a 4-pointer!!

It's always somebody else's fault.

It's a sad day when you can get drunk on your own will....then sue because you acted an arse while you were drunk. I guess if this had never made it to video she would have not wanted to sue then. I guess all the other people who have this broad on tape with her tits showing are in for lawsuits too!

Hell I got some tapes from Freaknic 94 and Daytona 95&96 with some chics doing a helluva lot more than showing some tits! I guess I better get a good lawyer because I have showed these tapes to alot of people!

I am sick and tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

Originally posted by jelli

On Wednesday morning, Kulhanek won what her lawyer says is the first judgement of its kind against the video makers and earned a $5 million default judgement in the 22nd District Court. Lawyers for Arco Media never officially responded to the lawsuit and could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Videos like "Wild Party Girls Spring Break Uncensored" are sold by several companies through late night TV ads and the Internet and often feature drunken college women exposing themselves at Mardi Gras and spring break celebrations.

Wednesday's default judgement calls for Kulhanek to receive $2.5 million for emotional distress, $2.5 million for her privacy claim and $10,000 in attorney's fees. Sergi said Kulhanek plans to donate part of her judgement to a women's shelter.

Sergi said he believes the judgement is the first against the makers of videos with nude college women.

In September, a Florida State University student who bared her breasts at Mardi Gras sued the makers of the "Girls Gone Wild" video series claiming invasion of privacy. An attorney for the video producers told the Associated Press that privacy protection does not extend to people who take their clothes off in public and especially not at large events where many people have video cameras.

She won because they didn't fight it. I dont beleive she would have won had they protested or defended themselves.

Back