Wireless LAN Cards, for Laptops

Here's mine. It is now 49.99 at Compusa.

6731ea4c-27d8-11d7-a10c-00805fbbb715.gif

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thanks for the info. I understand what I need to do.

Another question about wireless. My reason for purchasing a laptop has to do with me being in class online

When football season starts for my son(you know how practices go) I want to be able to get online at the football practice field.

Will WiFi allow me to do something like that?

89comSUgrad said:

Another question about wireless. My reason for purchasing a laptop has to do with me being in class online

When football season starts for my son(you know how practices go) I want to be able to get online at the football practice field.

You will need to purchase monthly wireless service in order to do that and STILL need to be near a "hotspot".

What I do since I am also doing online courses...I download everything and when I am on a plane or someplace where I can't get online, I just do my reading and answer discussion questions. When I am able to get back online, I just post my answers then. Work is done by then.

If one of your neighbors have a wireless router and their security isn't turned you...you can access the net through their network. I have a wireless router with a Linkksys wireless LAN card for my laptop. I can view all the other networks throughout the neighborhood too.

89comSUgrad said:

There is a wire you can buy and plug it from your cellphone to your laptop and basically surf the net off your cellphone provider. I don't think it even chews away at your minutes because you don't have to dial a number. I know this works with SprintPCS. Let me research where you can buy the wire & software.

Da_Sperm said:
There is a wire you can buy and plug it from your cellphone to your laptop and basically surf the net off your cellphone provider. I don't think it even chews away at your minutes because you don't have to dial a number. I know this works with SprintPCS. Let me research where you can buy the wire & software.

Thanks Sperm

That would really help if I could use my cell phone. I am with T-mobile. I will search to see what they have. Post information when you find something

Thanks again

Da_Sperm said:
shut yo mouth...man, this technology is too much for me. :D

Da_Sperm said:

New to me... please find out for us.

CD,
Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely correct. It worked for a while and then it stopped.

I got one of those off of Ebay. It works...but it is REALLY slow.

Da_Sperm said:

I have a older model dell laptop(its 2 or 3 years old) that doesn't have a wireless card. Can I buy a USB wireless adapter? How does the USB wireless adapter work?

This is true. You have to have a PDA or a Smartphone in order to access the internet. AT&T (formerly known as Cingular) and Verizon has plans for their customers. Go to their website and check for yourself.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have a older model dell laptop(its 2 or 3 years old) that doesn't have a wireless card. Can I buy a USB wireless adapter? How does the USB wireless adapter work?

Your laptop should have a card slot on the side of it. If so, you can buy a wireless card that will work as if you had an internal wireless card.

The card below will allow you to connect to a wireless network with your laptop.

ca92c819-2980-4fc7-b3d6-e487b3a488f2.gif

Linksys Wireless-B Notebook Adapter, 802.11b

Your laptop should have a card slot on the side of it. If so, you can buy a wireless card that will work as if you had an internal wireless card.

The card below will allow you to connect to a wireless network with your laptop.

Do i have to get this card or can I use one of these
4703899.box.GIF
Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless-G 54Mbps Compact USB Adapter

That one will work for you too, I suggest getting one of the 802.11G cards instead of the B card.

this is what i have, except it's a seimens card. i have the linksys router posted above. i hooked it up all by myself too! i'm was so proud of me..:jump:

Did you get the card? Is it working?
I got the one you suggested and it works fine. :D thanks for all your help. I popped that thing in the laptop install the software and it immediately recognized the wireless connection the place I was in. :tup

Back