Winston-Salem St. to go Division I

It'll balance the MEAC's football schedules with 10 teams (unless SSU goes too, which would mess it up again...lol).

I wonder if they'll make everybody play everybody else......

Sucks for basketball and other sports, though, having an odd number of teams.

Back to football....if they can get NCC or somebody else to make 12, they could have a MCG......

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I figured eventually Winston-Salem or NCCentral would go 1-AA and join the MEAC. Based on history and everything I guess they are a perfect fit.

PNeck019,

It'll balance the MEAC's football schedules with 10 teams (unless SSU goes too, which would mess it up again...lol).

I wonder if they'll make everybody play everybody else......

Sucks for basketball and other sports, though, having an odd number of teams.

Back to football....if they can get NCC or somebody else to make 12, they could have a MCG......

If the MEAC expands with just WSSU, then they will have 10 football participating members and 12 basketball and volleyball participating members (Coppin State and Maryland at Eastern Shore are current non-football participating members of the MEAC).

Jafus (Thinker) said:
PNeck019,

If the MEAC expands with just WSSU, then they will have 10 football participating members and 12 basketball and volleyball participating members (Coppin State and Maryland at Eastern Shore are current non-football participating members of the MEAC).

I remembered Coppin, but I forgot about UMES.

10 and 12 is just about perfect.

I guess WSSU wanted to get the jump on NCC or whoever. 11 or 13 doesn't schedule as easily, so I'm not sure they'd be in a hurry to expand again.

I'll wonder this again.....think they'll have a mandate?

PNeck019,

I remembered Coppin, but I forgot about UMES.

10 and 12 is just about perfect.

I guess WSSU wanted to get the jump on NCC or whoever. 11 or 13 doesn't schedule as easily, so I'm not sure they'd be in a hurry to expand again.

I'll wonder this again.....think they'll have a mandate?

Smile!! I doubt it. I think a more important question. Will the MEAC seek expansion to 12 members with NCCU and SSU or VSU for football and whether this expansion process would driven based on the interest of MEAC presidents for a MEAC Championship Game as well as re-instatement of the Heritage Bowl like game that was mention earlier in Commissioner Thomas tenure as commissioner of the MEAC?

WSSU Announces Plans To Move Towards NCAA Division I Classification

Teams and athletes to compete for championships in the 2009-10 seasons

July 7, 2004

Winston-Salem, N.C. - In a drive to support rapid growth and attain higher visibility, the Board of Trustees at Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) approved a plan to seek reclassification of the school's athletic programs to compete at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I level. WSSU, currently a member of Division II, will submit an application to the NCAA seeking the change in classification by December 1 as required by the athletic association's bylaws. This step will formally start a five-year process that culminates with WSSU teams and athletes gaining eligibility to compete for all Division I championships, except men's and women's basketball, during the 2009-10 seasons.

http://wssurams.collegesports.com/genrel/070704aaa.html

Back