Wimbledon 2019

Halep ends 15-year-old Gauff's magical Wimbledon run

By CHRIS LEHOURITES

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Coco Gauff's unexpected but remarkable run at Wimbledon is over.

The 15-year-old American, who became the youngest player to qualify for Wimbledon's main draw in the professional era, lost to former No. 1 Simona Halep 6-3, 6-3 in the fourth round on Monday.

"I learned a lot," said Gauff, who is younger than many of the players in the junior competition at Wimbledon. "I learned how to play in front of a big crowd. I learned what it was like to be under pressure. I learned a lot and I'm really thankful for this experience."

…..

BIG UPSET OF THE DAY!

Top seed Barty bows out

Australian world No.1 finds American Riske too hot to handle
:clap:

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2019-07-08/top_seed_barty_bows_out.html

Down the 'T' they all went: a first, a second, a third and then a fourth ace from Ashleigh Barty in her opening service game. But, with lawn tennis, as with almost everything else in life, it's not how you start but how you finish that matters. That game of aces brought the world No.1 little lasting pleasure - in fact, probably none at all - on the day she lost in the fourth round to an unseeded American, Alison Riske.

In reaching her first Grand Slam quarter-final, Riske ended Barty's 15-match, cross-Channel winning streak, which had brought her titles at Roland-Garros and the Edgbaston Priory Club. Riske also cut down the streak within the streak, of nine consecutive matches won in straight sets.

I really like Gauff. If she has the right "handlers", I think she can go far in the tennis world. I think her father is her coach now. But like Richard Williams, it may come a time when he should step aside and let someone else take her to the next level. I am just saying. I still say, that was Donald Young's problem. He stayed with his parents too long.

Sheesh, it was like folks forgot all about Serena during the Gauff hype. Folks be quick and ready to ship you out for the next one. lol

Monday is manic Monday, all remaining men and women will play.

Coco is playing a top player, one that can win the championship.

3 American women and 4 American men are remaining in singles.
She's not ready to face Serena. Maybe in 2 years.

Back