Wimbledon 2019

Olde Hornet

She looks like a younger Venus, unfortunately she get Venus in the first round - youngest versus oldest.
:(

Gauff makes history as youngest qualifier in Open era

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/new...istory_as_youngest_qualifier_in_open_era.html

What did 15-year-old Cori Gauff do the night before her final Wimbledon Qualifying round? She took a science test remotely at 11pm for her school back in Florida. She is rather confident she’ll get a ‘B’ on it.

It wasn’t the only test she passed within the last 24 hours. On Thursday afternoon, Gauff made history by becoming the youngest player in the Open era to reach the main draw at Wimbledon via Qualifying.

She did it in style too, taking out 21-year-old Belgian Greet Minnen 6-1, 6-1 in 55 minutes to lock down a spot in the ladies' singles.

Gauff was busy online-shopping for dresses for a gala when she got the call eight days ago that she had received a wild card for Roehampton.

Monday Order of Play
:clap:

Americans Day 1!
:popcorn:

Court 1 - 3rd match of the day
V. Williams (USA)
v
C Gauff (USA)

Cpourt 3
K. Ahn (USA)
v
A. Sevastova (LAT) 12

Court 12
C. McNally (USA)
v
H. Watson (GBR)

Court 4
D. Collins (USA)
v
Z. Diyas (KAZ)

Court 6

M. Buzarnescu (ROU)
v
J. Pegula (USA)

Court 7
C-M. Stebe (GER)
v
R. Opelka (USA)

Court 10
D. Kudla (USA)
v
M. Jaziri (TUN)

Court 11
M. Giron (USA)
v
F. Lopez (ESP)

Court 14
S. Kenin (USA) 27
v
A. Sharma (AUS)

S. Rogers (USA)
v
A. Kontaveit (EST) 20

Court 15
M. Vondrousova (CZE) 16
v
M. Brengle (USA)

Court 16
B. Pera (USA)
v
M. Sakkari (GRE) 31

Court 17
M. Keys (USA) 17
v
L. Kumkhum (THA)

B. Klahn (USA)
v
D. Goffin (BEL) 21

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html

Keep any eye out for this young brother from Canada

Felix Auger-Aliassime (Canada)

As the youngest player to crack the top 25 since former Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt in 1999, Felix Auger-Aliassime is on a tear. A year ago, the Canadian was ranked outside the top 150 but a breakout 2019 has the 18-year-old poised to make a splash at SW19. Auger-Aliassime made his third tour final in Stuttgart leading in and went on to become the youngest semi-finalist at Queen’s in two decades, posting wins over the likes of Stefanos Tsitsipas, Nick Kyrgios and Grigor Dimitrov. Seeded No.19, he opens against compatriot Vasek Pospisil, a player he defeated at Indian Wells last year.

American Men today

Men's Singles - Round of 128

Result
7443Kudla
7444Jaziri

Result
7442Giron
7446F Lopez

Result
7441Stebe
7445Opelka

Result
7447Klahn
7448Goffin

Teenager Gauff beats Williams in generation game

According to the advance billing, Venus Williams was set to face a 15-year-old schoolgirl in the first round at Wimbledon 2019, but on No.1 Court the anticipated gawky youngster was nowhere to be seen. Instead Cori Gauff was every inch an assured young woman from the moment she coolly strolled out on court ahead of the five-times Wimbledon champion, delivering a display of breathtaking poise against 39-year-old Williams to create an utterly sensational upset. The world No.313 nervelessly triumphed 6-4, 6-4 in 79 astounding minutes, breaking into tears in her moment of victory.

“This is the first time I ever cried after winning a match,” Gauff told the BBC as she left the court. “I never thought this would happen. I don’t know how to explain it. I’m literally living my dream. Not many people get to say that.

“I definitely had to tell myself to stay calm during the match. I never played on a court that’s so big. I had to remind myself that the lines are the same size as any other court. When we shook hand she told me congratulations and to keep going and good luck. I said ‘thank you for everything you’ve done’ – I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her.”

Americans - Day 2
S. Williams (USA) 11
v
G. Gatto-Monticone (ITA)

S. Stephens (USA) 9
v
T. Bacsinszky (SUI)

D. Thiem (AUT) 5
v
S. Querrey (USA)

C. Ruud (NOR)
v
J. Isner (USA) 9

F. Tiafoe (USA)
v
F. Fognini (ITA) 12

K. Kozlova (UKR)
v
L. Davis (USA)

Y. Uchiyama (JPN)
v
T. Sandgren (USA)

S. Johnson (USA)
v
A. Ramos-Vinolas (ESP)

v
N. Rubin (USA)

A. Rodionova (AUS)
v
T. Townsend (USA)

H. Dart (GBR)
v
C. McHale (USA)

D. Vekic (CRO) 22
v
A. Riske (USA)

T. Fritz (USA)
v
T. Berdych (CZE)

A. Anisimova (USA) 25
v
S. Cirstea (ROU)

Last edited:
Venus has nothing else to prove. She should retire.

I agree Venus has nothing else to prove. Now, as for her retiring, well...... I watched her entire match. Venus, for the most part, beat herself. She had too many unforced errors. The 15 year old American girl who won the match played well, and deserves to be congratulated. I just hope that Gauff does not collapse under the pressure.

@Olde Hornet, I think you probably know more about tennis than I do. So what the hell happen to Naomi Osaka? I don't think she was mentally prepared for this match. My personally opinion, she has a lot of growing up to do. I think she has to learn how to lose. I think winning those two slams have spoiled her. I hope her "handlers" are explaining to her, that she is not going to win every time she steps on the court. She has got to learn how to shake it off and move on. I heard Serena say once, that when you are ranked #1, #2, #3, etc., that puts a target on your back. You better bring your "A" game, because if you are going against an opponent who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, well.....

TSU/BAMA

A lot of the recent women champions have not coped well with being on top or winning majors. Naomi is naturally shy, but look at what happened today - Former champion Muguruza is out in the first round.

Monday is manic Monday, all remaining men and women will play.

Coco is playing a top player, one that can win the championship.

3 American women and 4 American men are remaining in singles.

Back