Willie Hayes resigns as AAMU basketball coach

What standards are different at Texas Southern than those at A&M? How do those standards compare with NCAA eligibility standards?

Has he answered this yet? I am almost positive our standards for athletes are no different than any other SWAC school smh.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
@Kenn Rashad whats the likelihood of you posting the list of applicants for this job via an FOIA request after a hire is announced?

Not likely. This is something we haven't done in a while. I have actually confirmed that in previous cases, when lists like the one you've requested were published, many of the applicants' job were actually threatened by their employer simply because they applied for other positions.

No answer.

Aside from a few minor differences, all academic standards are the same. And the NCAA's standards are more stringent than any SWAC school's admission standards.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports
There are some ACHE standards that do prevent Bama State and other schools in Alabama from signing players. I know that we have lost some in football to teams in Texas and Louisiana. The Alabama Commission on Higher Ed (ACHE) has stricter transfer rules than the NCAA in some cases.

There are some ACHE standards that do prevent Bama State and other schools in Alabama from signing players. I know that we have lost some in football to teams in Texas and Louisiana. The Alabama Commission on Higher Ed (ACHE) has stricter transfer rules than the NCAA in some cases.
Not all Louisiana schools lol. It's hard getting transfers into the South Louisiana school. One Louisiana school rules are more relaxed when it comes to getting transfers.

No answer.

Aside from a few minor differences, all academic standards are the same. And the NCAA's standards are more stringent than any SWAC school's admission standards.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

A&M requirements for transfers were different from most, if not all, other SWAC schools regarding grades. Those requirements were also higher than ACHE requirements. A&M would not accept a "D" grade for transfer; that means a transfer student had to have 12 hours of non "D" grades to transfer and play . Most of the other SWAC schools would allow transfers with D grades to play. Coach Pettaway used to say that prevented him from signing some of the better players that wanted to play at A&M, but those players had to go to other SWAC schools where they could play. Here is those old transfer requirements.

Transfer Credits
. Transfer credit are not accepted by the University in the following areas: Credits earned for

developmental (remedial) courses, religious courses and orientation.

Transfer Credits for Advanced Standing. In order for transfer credits to be accepted for advanced standing, all

prior college work must be declared on the official application, supported by official transcripts. No credit for

advanced standing will be accepted after the end of the first semester of the student’s enrollment. All grades must

be “C” or above.

Grades below “C” are not transferable, except as provided for in the AGSC Stars guidelines for transfer credits

from Alabama two-year institutions.

http://www.aamu.edu/administrativeoffices/academicaffairs/Documents/Bulletins/Bulletin_2003-2005.pdf

Currently A&M is in line with ACHE which allows students from two-year colleges to transfer a "D" grade as long as the college transferred to allows a "D" grade in that course for particular degree the student is majoring in. A&M still requires a "C" or better in all other courses for transfer purposes.

http://www.aamu.edu/administrativeoffices/academicaffairs/Documents/Bulletins/Bulletin_2015-2016.pdf

Students transferring from colleges and universities must have maintained a "C" average and be in good standing with the institution from which they are transferring. Students on academic probation or suspension are not in good standing, and, therefore, will not be accepted by Alabama A&M University.

Courses may transfer from accredited colleges and universities if the grade for that course earned at the offering institution meets the requirement of the program offering the degree being pursued at Alabama A&M University. For example: Only courses with grades of C or better may transfer for ENG 101/102 because a C or better is required in ENG 101/102 for all programs at Alabama A&M University. Only a grade of C or better is required for transfer for MTH 112 for all business programs, but a D or better is required for transfer for MTH 112 for Social Science programs. Students should check the grade requirements for specific programs to determine if the grade earned at the offering institution is transferable to Alabama A&M University.

Recruits are hard to get after visits and after they see the facilities of other schools they sign elsewhere. The players that we do get seem to be development projects that in the end may or may not pan out, mostly the latter.

@oldgymlgnd I'm curious. How many games have you been to in the last 10 years? I hear people say this all the time but forget about how we have All SWAC players on the team every year.

We just signed a state All-Star that chose AAMU and that "raggedy old gym" over Jacksonville State and all that sweet, warm milk of the white folks teet. Tracy Burnett was rated a 3-star and had an offer from Richmond (the same Richmond that beat the Crimson Tide in the NIT last week). Evan Wiley also had an offer from Richmond.
http://www.scout.com/player/192398-tracy-burnett
http://www.scout.com/player/192395-evan-wiley

Elmore is old, Elmore is small, and Elmore is hot, but Elmore is not the problem with AAMU basketball.

Now @Oracle ... how many transfer players with D's did we miss out on that would have made that much of a positive program impact? Keep in mind, rosters aren't made up primarily of transfers. Also, Jones made a living off FBS transfers, which are often harder to get due to NCAA matriculation requirements and matching majors. Jones was getting FBS recruits up until the very end. Football is somehow allergic to FBS transfers all of a sudden (more a lack of relationships and trust from other coaches).

As a comparison, here is Grambling's. Grambling brought in dozens of FBS and JUCO transfers under Fobbs:
All transfer coursework will appear on the GSU transcript. Credit is given for courses, taken at a regionally accredited institution, in which a grade of “C” or better was earned. The appropriate department head determines if an accepted courses will be used toward a degree. The equivalence of a course taken at an institution within the Louisiana system is determined by the Board of Regents transfer articulation matrices, and Grambling State University. All other course equivalences are determined by the appropriate department head. We do not accept credits earned at institutions not regionally accredited.

My point is this... Even if we had slightly stricter transfer admission requirements than other SWAC schools, that is still not the reason why we haven't had a winning record in men's basketball in thirteen years, or football since 2012. Or women's basketball since 2012. Or baseball since...???

Last edited:
@oldgymlgnd
Elmore is old, Elmore is small, and Elmore is hot, but Elmore is not the problem with AAMU basketball.
@Oracle
I pick my co-worker and former JSU Coach Andy Stoglin's brain pretty much everyday about basketball. He tells me all the time that two places in the SWAC that were the hardest for him to play was Southern and Alabama A&M. I can't remember why he said SU but with AAMU it's exactly what 2kool said plus the fans would be close to the floor. If we were still winning under Hayes, I don't think things would have changed with the fans but the losing simply eroded our base.

Talked to another alumni and old head this weekend as I was in Huntsville. We agreed that Hayes teams were exactly like Clarence Blackmon's. Once Jobe took over the same players, all we did was win. Hayes was a good man, good guy, and heck of a player, just not a good coach. The powers that be tried to ride with him as long as they could. They just rode with him too long.

I pick my co-worker and former JSU Coach Andy Stoglin's brain pretty much everyday about basketball. He tells me all the time that two places in the SWAC that were the hardest for him to play was Southern and Alabama A&M. I can't remember why he said SU but with AAMU it's exactly what 2kool said plus the fans would be close to the floor. If we were still winning under Hayes, I don't think things would have changed with the fans but the losing simply eroded our base.

Talked to another alumni and old head this weekend as I was in Huntsville. We agreed that Hayes teams were exactly like Clarence Blackmon's. Once Jobe took over the same players, all we did was win. Hayes was a good man, good guy, and heck of a player, just not a good coach. The powers that be tried to ride with him as long as they could. They just rode with him too long.

And like I said in one of the other discussions... we hold on to ineffective people for far too long. I hope everyone in the administration has learned this lesson for good. No more 4 year contracts with sympathy extensions. That is fiduciary malpractice of the highest order, and the athletes are very close to their breaking point. But nobody believes that because too many A&M employees and people close to the program are asleep at the wheel, or too busy trying to protect their friends/frat. I refuse to dog Hayes because he's one of us at the end of the day...but you would be shocked at what his own former players think of their time in that program.

This is why the athletic director needs to be given his walking papers. I'm afraid that if he is kept another year, there will be repercussions, and I don't want to see that.

No one person or clique is bigger than the University.

One thing people don't know about Alabama A&M and State as recruiting goes. The state of Alabama will pay the cost of 500 students per year from Alabama community colleges to attend only State and A&M. Yes that is correct at any one period in the year 250 students that have graduated from an Alabama JUCO can get their (junior and senior)tuition paid for by the state if they attend one of those two schools only. First come first serve. Why would the athletic departments of the Bulldogs and hornets not use that as a way to offer 100% scholarships to prominent rising juniors?
Individual Offense Leaders
POINTS PER GAME #
J Hamilton
Enterprise State Community College 20.8
D Addie
Southern Union State Community College 19.9
D Kinchen
Alabama Southern Community College 19.5
J Hill
Gadsden State Community College 18.4
K Spearman
Alabama Southern Community College 18.1
Complete leaders
REBOUNDS PER GAME #
T Wright
Bishop State Community College 11.0
Z Jackson
Wallace Community College-Selma 9.5
T White
Chattahoochee Valley Community College 8.6
K Brown
Faulkner State Community College 7.5
C Tripp
Marion Military Institute 7.2
Complete leaders
FG PCT #
T Clayton
Shelton State Community College 70.8
D Dozier
Faulkner State Community College 68.6
C Tripp
Marion Military Institute 60.5
Z Jackson
Wallace Community College-Selma 59.2
C Bell
Marion Military Institute 59.0
Complete leaders
3PT PCT #
T Glover
Bishop State Community College 46.4
A Howard
Alabama Southern Community College 45.9
D White
Lurleen B. Wallace Community College 45.2
D Kinchen
Alabama Southern Community College 45.0
A JOHNSON
Lawson State Community College 44.5
Complete leaders
this is just men's basketball
Because it would be a NCAA violation... Once you accept a athletic scholarship you can't accept any other form of scholarship... You only accept Pell grants...

I firmly believe that smart basketball players are better basketball players. GPA is a function not of intelligence but on diligence, and work ethic. That is a skill that translates onto the basketball court.

Reactions: J C
Back