Will the madness ever stop?

truthteller

The Critic
JSU student held in campus shooting

Senior wounded in struggle over gun, authorities say
From staff and wire reports

A shooting on the Jackson State University campus has left one student wounded and another facing charges, officials said.

Harvey Evans, a senior who does not live on campus, was shot in the thigh Saturday during a struggle over a gun with freshman Tobias Woods, authorities said.

The shooting happened in the athletic department parking lot about 11:30 p.m., said Jean Frazier, the university's public relations director.

Frazier said Woods had been arguing with an unidentified female when Evans intervened. Frazier said Woods allegedly retrieved a gun.

Evans was released from Baptist Medical Center on Sunday.

Woods was being held Monday without bond at the Hinds County Detention Center on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm on state property, authorities said.

Just last month, a student was fatally shot at the Alcorn State University campus in Lorman.

JeKelcy Lee Johnson, 20, an Alcorn State football player, was shot Oct. 8 during a disturbance, officials said.

Troy Hayes, 24, Tyauntra Batteaste, 24, Terrell Chatman, 23, and Demetrice Williams, 20, all of Natchez, were charged with murder in Johnson's death.

The suspects are not ASU students.

Johnson, of Port Gibson, was shot during a confrontation with the men, officials said. The confrontation began when the men made a remark to a female student, officials said.

What are we gonna do yall?

This is sad!!

I am on the yard from time to time and I think it is ridiculous that people are there shooting and being thugish. These people do not know the consequences of their actions.. If you shoot someone on a school campus and they die... you are instantly elgible for the death penalty... you can think Luke Woodham (Pearl High) for that.....

And what message does this give to young guys going to school?

If you try to help out a girl, you may be shot?

When I was on the yard as a Freshman more than ten years ago, there were many people that were "strapped". At that time, the shootings; killings were rare. I was from L.A. down in the Bayou and seeing guns wasn't nothing new to me. Now it is glorified to have a gun and these young knuckleheads don't know the value of life. If someone does not value their life they will definitely not value yours. You can educate on the realities of gun play but if someone is "broken" in spirit, and mind it takes a lot to fix.
They don't know Who We BE.

The "fix" has to begin in the junior highs and, in some cases, elementary schools. Our kids are too influenced by the images they see or hear about that glorify violence, "being strapped", and everything else. Think about all the messages that they get about how right it is to "get in someone's face" (and yes, we have to be careful about how we represent on some of the boards here, too); its no small wonder it appears on the campuses.

The basic responsibility lies with the parents; but, some of these kids need additional models of what positive black folks are all about.

We have to start reaching our kids earlier if we are to impact this craziness and affect a change. I suggest that we all, especially us black males, try to get in the heads of the young kids as early as possible and try to help nuture them to grow up the right way. And know without a doubt, it can't be done without God.

Regards.

Now, wassup with this?

7 on basketball team arrested

JSU players, eighth man, held on felony sex charges
By Thyrie Bland
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Seven members of the Jackson State University basketball team were arrested Tuesday for allegedly forcing a student to have sex with them.

The players, along with an eighth man, were booked at the Hinds County Detention Center in Raymond on rape and sexual battery charges, both felonies.

WAPT-Channel 16, citing court records, reported Tuesday evening that the student said she had consensual sex with her boyfriend, who is a member of the basketball team, and then was forced to have sex with the others. The incident allegedly occurred Thursday in a campus men's dorm room.

The arrested basketball players have been suspended from the team.

Charged with rape and sexual battery are Damien Darrell Smith, 19, and Cedric Antwan Gilbert, 22. Their bonds are $100,000.

Charged with rape are John Matthew Chandler, 19, Reginald Earl Taylor, 20, and Jerome Maurice Bracey, 18, who is not listed on the team's preseason roster. Their bonds are $50,000.

Charged with sexual battery are Brian Kyle Nichols, 22, Robin Christopher Lucas, 20, and Richard Carl Bradley, 23. Their bonds are $50,000.

The Clarion-Ledger does not identify victims of alleged sexual assault.

"It's most unfortunate," Hilliard Lackey, a Jackson State ombudsman and assistant professor of history, said of the alleged incident. "I'm hoping some way, somehow, it will turn out to be a big mistake."

The alleged incident has been heavily discussed on campus. "Students are talking about it," Lackey said. "They were generally appalled and shocked."

Jackson State senior Tomeka Sharp, 24, of Gulfport said she's worried the arrests will hurt the university's image.

"Just the mere fact there are formal charges, that's going to give the university a bad name," said Sharp, a Clark-Atlanta University transfer student.

The arrests, especially Bradley's, shocked Eddie Washington, who played basketball with Bradley at Murrah High School.

"I didn't want to believe it at first, until I got home and watched the news," Washington said. "I don't believe it. ... We're just going to have to pray about it."

Jackson State public relations director Jean Frazier said university President Ronald Mason had no comment.

Rebecca Coleman, chief of the university police department, referred calls to Frazier.

Coleman's department investigated the student's allegations.

Frazier would not comment on the investigation or the details of the case. She said the university did not want to say or do anything that would taint the case.

On Monday, the team played its first game since the allegations became public. Only nine of the 18 players on JSU's roster dressed out for the game. Six of them were walk-ons. The nine-man team defeated Tougaloo College in the exhibition game 79-60.

Longtime Jackson State basketball coach Andy Stoglin could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Jackson State opens its season Saturday at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Last season, Jackson State finished 7-23 overall and seventh in the Southwestern Athletic Conference at 7-11.

What's the difference between rape, sexaul battery and sexual assault?:confused:

This a sad and awful thing...:( :bawling:

Back