Will Chicago ever get it together?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Local government to actually give a damn about black people and address systemic racism, poverty, and inequity in the city. Federal law enforcement forces can't fix that.

'
Local government to actually give a damn about black people and address systemic racism, poverty, and inequity in the city. Federal law enforcement forces can't fix that.

How about black folks give a DAMN about themselves? Something many including racists have asked black folks to do for years.

When do you get the folks who empower this mess and police brutality towards those who are not criminals out of the community?
Why should local gov care when black folks kill black folks and no cares to level we have seen with Floyd and others?
What if all those businesses up and leave? Who will replace them?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/...le-looting-vandalism-property-damage-michigan

Ackerman, 30, who lives nearby, said he was thinking of starting up his drone to survey the area, and then thought he could be more help with a broom.
“This is the least I could do,” Ackerman said. “This is unfortunate. It isn’t really helping any cause. I’m a Black guy living in this neighborhood too. What if (Best Buy) closes and they don’t want to reopen? It hurts the whole neighborhood.”

Crap like this also hurts SCHOOL funding. Fewer jobs mean folks move. Fewer families less kids in school, Less funding.

I agree there isn't a single solution. However, Chicago PD doesn't have control of their streets and are weak. There is poverty, systemic racism, and inequity in New York, Los Angles, and other large metropolitan areas and one does not see the level of lawless behavior as in Chicago. Every time I see Chicago's mayor talking about they don't need help, I cringe. Chicago comes across as having a weak mayor, a weak city government, a reputation for extraordinary corruption, and needs to attract more commerce to the city if poverty is the major problem. No business is going to be enthused about Chicago if they can't control those streets though.

How about black folks give a DAMN about themselves?
You took the words right out of my mouth. Look, I grew up in the Jim Crow South, so I am well versed in poverty, systemic racism, and inequality. So I know this stuff exist. Looting is not going to solve a damn thing. It only makes the situation worse. We are angry, we burn and loot and still, nothing changes. We can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Yall say this all the time on this board, well, when yall are talking about HBCUs and their athletic programs. But nevertheless............

I agree there isn't a single solution. However, Chicago PD doesn't have control of their streets and are weak. There is poverty, systemic racism, and inequity in New York, Los Angles, and other large metropolitan areas and one does not see the level of lawless behavior as in Chicago. Every time I see Chicago's mayor talking about they don't need help, I cringe. Chicago comes across as having a weak mayor, a weak city government, a reputation for extraordinary corruption, and needs to attract more commerce to the city if poverty is the major problem. No business is going to be enthused about Chicago if they can't control those streets though.

Dude, Chicago has been in this predicament for decades. Lightfoot is right in turning down help because the help being offered isn't conducive to rectifying the issues that ultimately lead to violence in the first place.

When a city closes down 50 public schools in areas where black and brown families live, when you close down local mental health facilities, when you limit access to affordable health care services, when people live in areas affected by poisoned water and poor air quality, and when police are allowed to kill black people without repercussion, you're gonna get this type of response from people who are impacted by it.

I cannot disagree with anything you just said, but this is a two way street. There is only so much that government (federal, state, or local) can do. We need to start caring more about ourselves.

It's not as much as controlling the streets as it is changing the cultural mindset. Too many people have developed the mindset of misbehaving or doing what is wrong and not enough people are trying to do what is right. It would take generations for any positive change to happen. Instead of changing things through economic development programs, the government has allowed this behavior to fester for decades, primarily in Black communities. A lot of Black kids seek success in the wrong things, which creates an environment of us (Black communities) against them (law enforcement). IMO, there is a lot of wasteful spending when it comes to law enforcement, but we need not to give them anymore excuses to spend more.

Last edited:
I cannot disagree with anything you just said, but this is a two way street. There is only so much that government (federal, state, or local) can do. We need to start caring more about ourselves.

The current looting in Chicago is over a 15-year-old boy getting shot by the police -- an arm of the government not caring about black people.

When a city closes down 50 public schools in areas where black and brown families live, when you close down local mental health facilities, when you limit access to affordable health care services, when people live in areas affected by poisoned water and poor air quality, and when police are allowed to kill black people without repercussion, you're gonna get this type of response from people who are impacted by it.

There again, I cannot disagree with anything you just said. But looting and burning is not going to solve the problem.

Dude, Chicago has been in this predicament for decades. Lightfoot is right in turning down help because the help being offered isn't conducive to rectifying the issues that ultimately lead to violence in the first place.

Displacement of gangs does not help either. Much of the killing going on is the redrawing of gang boundaries. I am not saying I agree nor do I understand. I am just regurgitating what a former gang banger from Chicago told me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Displacement of gangs does not help either. Much of the killing going on is the redrawing of gang boundaries. I am not saying I agree nor do I understand. I am just regurgitating what a former gang banger from Chicago told me.

He's right.

When the city closed down those schools during the Rahm Emanuel administration (that fucker didn't give one damn about black people), it forced kids to cross into rival gang territories to go to school. And it forced kids who had ties to rival gangs (either was in them or had family in them) to attend the same school. And folks in those hoods and schools understood how problematic that was.

Everyone knows corruption infested Chicago has been in that predicament for decades. The truth of the matter is the feds are already doing surveillance there but feet need to be on the ground. I not only believe she is wrong but believes the entire place needs an overhaul. I don't disagree with you on the issues they are having, hence the comment about a weak city government. Poor leadership has played a role in the current position Chicago is in. They need to spend resources more prudently and hold their government officials accountable. I do not see where this city has turned the curve. Democrats have been at the helm of Chicago for a hot minute. If it's so bad over there, then they need to put it in receivership. I don't believe it is the case though. What I believe is those folks don't know what the hell they're doing and haven't been working for the citizens in numerous capacities.

It was a weak decision that exacerbated their problem. It is a byproduct of poor leadership and a weak police department that is underfunded in high crime areas and personnel delegated improperly. Let's call it what it is......They need to fix that mess or let someone come in and fix it for them.

Last edited:
It was a weak decision that exacerbated their problem. It is a byproduct of poor leadership and a weak police department that is underfunded in high crime areas and personnel delegated improperly. Let's call it what it is......They need to fix that mess or let someone come in and fix it for them.

The CPD isn't underfunded. The police department carries a $1 billion budget, with the city planning to build a $95 million training facility.

The CPD isn't underfunded. It's $1 billion, with the city planning to build a $95 million training facility.

Well if that is the case, they are not managing their resources correctly which isn't surprising considering the corrupt reputation this city has. The question is where in hell are their resources being placed. The answer is they probably need more delegated to high crime areas with the proper personnel. If they cannot get it right, I am sorry but they need intervention. You can have all of the money placed in a training facility in the world, but until they learn how to manage their resources (that includes human resources) the same results will occur. They better get it together......

Last edited:
One of the things that get me is folks are quick to point out problems but have no solutions. If one knows the problem......What is the end game! What are the solutions to the problem? Who is responsible for executing?

There again, you will get no disagreement from me. Oh and by the way, excellent questions. All I am saying is, looting and burning is not going to solve the problem. I wish I had a solution to the problem but I don't. That is something that the people in Chicago is going to have to figure out.

Back