Why the BE Top 50 List is Not Credible

pantherprowl

BE:
How schools were selected for the project
Colleges were selected to be in our analysis based on one of two criteria. 1. They are accredited four-year colleges that have an African American student enrollment of at least 3%; or 2. Every other college that did not meet criteria one, but is a large or well-known university (e.g., the University of Utah, New Mexico State University, etc.). The goal was to be as inclusive as pos-sible without including schools that would be of little interest to black students. This process resulted in 482 colleges.

Selection criteria 1 and 2 are not related. So, why even have criteria 2. An alternative to criteria 2 would be the presence of a support sytems such as black student organizations on a campus.
Without support systems, even the large or well known universities are unattractive.

BE:
Calculating the DayStar Rating
The DayStar rating was calculated by developing a regression-based weighted multiplicative index combining four variables: 1) percentage of African American undergraduate students; 2) the school's DayStar rating from 1999; 3) average survey score for the school's social environment for African American students; and 4) average survey score for the school's educational environment for African American students.

The use of the school's Day Star from 1999 handicaps those universities that were not rated highly in 1999 but have made significant improvements since that time. This maintains the status quo. So, once your on BE's Top 50 List, you are assured of being listed for as long as the continues. Thus, the 5 MEAC schools will remain on the list forever, and the SWAC will have 1 or 2 schools. If GSU, with accreditation problems, had been listed, it would discredited the list.

However, based upon my above statements, the list appears to not be credible.

I think that the other thread about that list shows why it's not credible.

I wonder if it is even necessary, because there is no such thing as "The African American Student". There are students who are African American, but one would be hard pressed to say what ALL of our needs are.

The premises of the list are fallacious argument; thus not valid.

Right, there is no validation to this. If you are gonna compile a list of the best HBCU's, then do it right. Evaluate the things that really matter.

The general public is so mislead because of this kind of stuff.

Gimme some credible info!

Does it tell me what the mean income is (and the range) of Black graduates? How about what degrees they graduate with? And what percentage of Blacks who enroll in those schools graduate? That's the kind of criteria BE should look at!

Back