Why is there no classic game in Miami?

atl hornet

Is there a large HBCU presence in Miami? A city like that seems like a good place to have a HBCU classic every year..

BCU use to play a Classic game in Fort Lauderdale back in the day. The last game I remember was against Morgan State. I'd say that would be a good area but it's a heavy FAMU and BCU alum area. BCU also played a Classic game in Jacksonville. It was called the Gateway Classic. I believe the last team we played there was SCSU. Again, that was back in the day. Alvin "Shine" Wyatt's hometown...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Bruh, it would be a dumb move business wise but could you imagine JSU vs SU in Miami though on Labor Day weekend.

It would be a hella dumb business move ... but Southern/Jackson in Miami would be insane ... until people start complaining that they're too far from stuff and South Beach prices LOL '

If I had my way, the only other "new" city I want to see Southern/Jackson is Los Angeles.

It would be a hella dumb business move ... but Southern/Jackson in Miami would be insane ... until people start complaining that they're too far from stuff and South Beach prices LOL '

If I had my way, the only other "new" city I want to see Southern/Jackson is Los Angeles.
Bruh, we would be complaining about prices but right in there packed out. Man, that Ft. Lauderdale airport would be sight to see.

idk about LA...

West Coast black folk have that house n**** syndrome

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
How about playing the games in area that will bring a good crowd? This isn't 1960 or 70 anymore. Look, nobody is trying to break their neck to see a HBCU football game out of the south.

Is there a large HBCU presence in Miami? A city like that seems like a good place to have a HBCU classic every year..

FAMU is set to play Albany State in Miami on Labor Day for the renewed Orange Blossom Classic. We also used to play the Orange Blossom Classic in Miami every year. I want to say the last time we played an HBCU in Miami was Grambling in 1994.

they really expect Albany State to bring fans to Miami? Lmao

I heard we reached out to some D1 HBCUs but Albany State was the only one who accepted but money games had already been scheduled, and others didn’t want to make the trip.

I believe the payout is about 300K

I don't see it being a place that will draw the locals in large numbers to. If all you're doing is bringing your own fans with you, you might as well keep that game on campus and let you fans save their money traveling.

Not sure what the HBCU presence is like but it’s rumblings of JSU/FAMU in Miami 2021 (Labor Day weekend).

A waste of folks money as they didn't pack out the game in Tallahassee in 2018. Why do you think they'll go to Miami to do it.
I went to that Angel City Classic in LA at the Coliseum back in 2007 and 2008. PV beat A&T in front of 32k and in 2008 PV beat Morehouse infront of 52k. There is a market for HBCU football on the west coast as long as you steer clear of shady promoters like in any situation

That's the part that killed that game. PV was prone to have that market if it wasn't for those greedy promoters who messed it all up.

BCU use to play a Classic game in Fort Lauderdale back in the day. The last game I remember was against Morgan State. I'd say that would be a good area but it's a heavy FAMU and BCU alum area. BCU also played a Classic game in Jacksonville. It was called the Gateway Classic. I believe the last team we played there was SCSU. Again, that was back in the day. Alvin "Shine" Wyatt's hometown...

I was on the Southern football team that played Bethune-Cookman in Jacksonville for the 2006 Gateway Classic.

I don't see it being a place that will draw the locals in large numbers to. If all you're doing is bringing your own fans with you, you might as well keep that game on campus and let you fans save their money traveling.

A waste of folks money as they didn't pack out the game in Tallahassee in 2018. Why do you think they'll go to Miami to do it.

That's the part that killed that game. PV was prone to have that market if it wasn't for those greedy promoters who messed it all up.

There are a lot of HBCU alums out there on the West Coast who would love to see HBCU football in person. If an HBCU game is to be played again in a place like the Los Angeles area then, organizers should start small in the planning process. Playing at the Dignity Health Sports Park (where the Chargers played last year) would probably be a good start. The stadium holds 27,000 and could expand to 30,000. IMO, that's a good starting point for ticket sales and you probably will get close to a sellout with the right teams.

It would be better than trying to play a game at the Coliseum. Even if you draw 25,000 fans to the Coliseum, then it would still look close to empty since it holds 90,000 plus. That's a lot of money that would be loss because of ticket sales/renting the stadium

Last edited:
Back