Why Is It That Some Negroes Still Want To Be Lighter?

Bro. Askia

"I'm Black But I Want to Be Lighter" ? Say What?
http://www.blackcollegewire.org

What's going on? Why is it that blacks no longer want to be black? Now, this has always gone on, but it is even more evident today and I am sick of it!

People have forgotten about the radical "I'm Black and I'm Proud" movement of the 1960s. The movement now is "I'm Black but I Want to Be Lighter."

I remember a student saying he doesn't date anyone darker than himself. Another guy said to me, "You're pretty, for a dark-skinned girl." Um, loser, get a life. You're ugly for a guy!

Some females say they only like "light-skinned" guys and only want a "light-skinned" husband because they don't want their kids to be dark.

Why?

Black is one of the most beautiful and most hated colors.

When classified as a race, the colors within "black" span from brown, black, blue black, corn yellow, mahogany and so on. They surpass the colors of all the other races combined.

If black or dark is so bad, explain why so many Caucasian people encourage themselves and others of their race to go to a tanning salon or to the beach to get that "natural tan" from the sun. It seems as if the entire universe is in flip mode: Whites want to be black and blacks want to be white, or at least "light."

Why haven't people learned to love themselves the way they were created? Have you thought that maybe if it were meant for you to be lighter or darker, you would have been born that way?

I understand if you want to just get rid of dark spots so your skin can be an even color, but why be like Michael Jackson and get rid of all your dark spots?

Not so long ago in Africa, citizens started to invest in skin creams that lightened the skin, that ended up destroying people's lives because the cream was defective. Is this the choice you want to make?

It's possible to break away from the vicious circle and create your own. Learn to love yourself for who you are and love others for who they are.

Just because that guy or girl's skin is darker than you prefer doesn't mean he or she isn't worthy of attention. Some of the most beautiful souls have skin that isn't light.

Let go of the "white man's" brainwashing game and be yourself.

Isn't that one of the reason's you came to an HBCU, to be around people like yourself?

Robyn K. Mizelle, 19, is a sophomore broadcast journalism student at Florida A&M University from Lake City, Fla. She writes for the Famuan and can be reached at RKMiz@hotmail.com

http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/021125_complexion/

In Praise of Black Men
Black men.

You are the most loved, most beloved, most hated, most emulated, most feared, most revered creatures on the face of this earth.

And I love you for it. If anyone hasn't told you lately, then let me say it.

This message probably doesn't conform to what mainstream media is spewing. I'm not bitter.

I'm not complaining. I'm not pointing fingers.

I'm celebrating the black man -- the beautiful . . . most deserving of respect and adulation.

For me to say I hate you is to hate a part of myself. It's because of a black man that I am a black woman celebrating her 20th birthday.

You can't tell me that a black man isn't a gem.

(And it's no coincidence that you come from the same continent that produces diamonds.)

There's no need to look far for riches. It's found in your self-reliance. Your strength. Your creativity. Your individuality. Your style.

Don't be discouraged by the negative images, instead be inspired and proud of the rich foundation laid by the great black men throughout history. Let them be your light.

I'm talking about the Nat Turners and Gabriel Prossers, with their bravery and unwillingness to relent to oppression.

The Huey Newtons and Bobby Seales, the men who recognized the beauty of the black race and demanded respect when and where it was due.

The Joe Louises and the Jackie Robinsons, princes of athleticism and pioneers of their race.

The Langston Hugheses and Ralph Ellisons, visionaries blessed with the ability to create magic with a pen.

The Charles Drews and Benjamin Carsons, doctors whose work remedied ill-conceived perceptions of blacks.

The Duke Ellingtons and Stevie Wonders, who created the soundtracks for an entire culture, the Jan Matzeligers and Garrett Morgans, who changed life as we know it with their revolutionary inventions.

The Matthew Hensons and Estevanicos, foraging into lands unknown, broadening our world perspective.

The Scott Joplins and Chuck Browns, taking a beat and inventing a phenomenon.

The Booker T. Washingtons and Alain Lockes, advocates for using education as a ladder to equality and success.

From the lauded and applauded to the unsung and forgotten, I stand

Don't carry being a black man as a burden, but as a badge of honor. Let your words be formed from intelligence, not arrogance.

Let reason govern your actions, not pride. Be steadfast and earnest in all that you do.

You have standards to uphold and precedents to set. You have a charge to keep as black men.

Rahkia Nance, 20, is a junior newspaper journalism student at Florida A&M University from Herndon, Va. She is The Famuan's deputy copy desk chief and can be reached at Petite8228@aol.com.

http://www.blackcollegewire.org/voices/021109_blackmen/

What If I Am A Black Woman?
What if I am a Black woman? Is it a disease?
Well, if it is, I sure hope it's catching
Because they need to pour it into a bottle, label it, and sprinkle it all over the
people, men and women, who ever loved or cried, worked or died, for any one of us.

So...what if I am a Black woman? Is it a crime? Arrest me!
Because I'm strong, but I'm gentle.
I'm smart, but I'm learning, I'm loving, but I'm hateful
And I like to work because I like to eat and feed and
clothe and house me, mine, and yours and everybody's,
Like I've been doing for the past 300 years.

What if I am a Black woman? Is it insane? Commit me!
Because I want happiness, not tears; truths, not lies;
pleasure, not pain; sunshine, not rain;
A man, not a child!

What if I am a Black woman? Is it a sin? Pray for me!
And pray for you too,
If you don't like women of color because we are...
Midnight black, chestnut brown, honey bronzed, chocolate covered,
cocoa dipped, big lipped, big hipped, big breasted, and
beautiful all at the same time!

So...what if I am a Black woman?
Does it bother you that much because I want a man who wants me...
loves me, trusts me, respects me and gives me everything because
I give him everything back, plus!

What if I am a Black woman?
I've got rights, same as you! I have worked for them, died for them,
lied for them, played and laid for them, on every plantation from
Alabama to Boston and back!

What if I am a Black woman?
I love me, and I want you to love me too,
But I am, as I've always been, near you, close to you, beside you,
Strong, giving, loving, for over 300 years,
Your Black woman...Love me!!

Let's take it a step further. There are 100 shades of color within the black race. A study was done several years ago on different nationalities all around the world including Japan, Europe, ASIA and the United States. And what was revealed is that regardless of what race you come or came from, most people in the world wanted to and still want to be "brown". Not dark brown, light brown, white, yellow or green. Most people want to be "brown". There was a black scholar on the Donahue show years ago who made this claim. And I agree with him. I just didn't know that there were at least 100 shades of color within our race even though we put out a beautiful rainbow handed to us on a silver platter by God.

I don't see any problem with dark people wanting to be lighter or light people wanting to be darker as long as it's not an issue of thinking that one color is better or superior to the other. As long as it's just a preference that's being sought, than there's no problem.

If somebody dark-dark brown wants to be light brown than that doesn't mean they're doing it with hopes of being accepted as white, or by whites. The same goes for black girls who perm their hair and wear blue contacts. If a white person wants a tan, there's no problem with that. It's all about preference.

We have to pray about what our limit is as far as "changing" ourselves. People change hair texture & color, eyes color, skin color, nails, breasts, face through surgery, lipo suction, etc.

Some of this stuff may be okay and some may not be okay. Pray about it choose which one fits you. Maybe none of this stuff fits you. No one stays 100% natural through out their life, as they were created. Probably no one wants to. Doesn't mean you don't love yourself. Just means you have a preference.

Originally posted by HORNETSWARM
Let's take it a step further. There are 100 shades of color within the black race. A study was done several years ago on different nationalities all around the world including Japan, Europe, ASIA and the United States. And what was revealed is that regardless of what race you come or came from, most people in the world wanted to and still want to be "brown". Not dark brown, light brown, white, yellow or green. Most people want to be "brown". There was a black scholar on the Donahue show years ago who made this claim. And I agree with him. I just didn't know that there were at least 100 shades of color within our race even though we put out a beautiful rainbow handed to us on a silver platter by God.

People are more comfortable being in the middle than on the fringes. That's all that is.

Not a critical issue one way or the other.

I would hope that the majority of black people have evolved to the point where we are more concerned about how we are going to build and sustain wealth/prosperity over generations and give the next generation the option to go to college or "take over the family business" as opposed to primal reconstruction era issues like this.

Back