Why Don’t White Athletes Understand What’s Wrong With Trump?

White athletes historically have never been expected to take political or social stances. Whether it’s about policing, immigration, gay rights, racism— or even Trump in the present day. That burden, so to speak, has often been the responsibility of minority athletes because these social and political occurrences often impact people who look like them. And when these social issues arise, the press and everyone else always goes to the minority athlete to speak on it or demand they take action, not the white athletes. We often say, "If only all the black athletes would" ... boycott, strike, sit out or kneel, change would occur. The public doesn't require that of white athletes despite them being romanticized as embodying leadership, particularly as it relates coaching or quarterback, which are leadership positions. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are among the most revered and successful people in all of sports. And they're allowed to be apolitical. They aren't told to pick a side or do something for the greater good beyond football. And it's accepted. It is difficult to expect white athletes to take such stances on Trump when there has never been an expectation for them to do so on anything outside of their sports bubbles, which is the epitome of white privilege.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Or you can go and be a raccoon because you wanted to eat Big Macs at the White House that you could have ate around campus.

Going to the White House doesn’t make you a c**n my friend. I could ask you about 5 quick questions that would probably show you that there’s quite a bit of “c**n” in you.

Empty symbolic gestures like skipping visits with officials, etc, are tired and played out and haven’t and won’t ever accomplish anything. It makes you look simple and childish and politically immature. If you can’t even look your so-called enemy in his face then what good are you, really, to any kinda serious movement?

The short answer is because they're white. At the end of the day, protecting their privilege is more important than any Black or Brown person or issue.
Word. I'm white as wonder bread. I grew up listening to hip hop and hearing the struggles of minorities, I feel for y'all. FTP. Trump's an idiot. It's like the country is being run by a teenager.

Back