Why Did He Have to Be Black: San Antonio Truck Driver

She beat him handily. I remember all the folks in the neighborhood having issues with Craig and the way he was doing stuff. How does Delay come into an all black district and help Sheila? I never heard this one. I was living in Houston during the time. I remember black folks being pissed off with Craig and his seemingly hooking up folks in his circle mentality. So essence the black community turned against him. I think even Minister Muhammad from the Mosque in Houston backed Sheila. So she had plenty of black support. Delay was too busy trying to keep them folks off his back in SugarLand. LOL. Craig messed up when they showed how many times he was absent for votes in the House for stuff that would benefit his own community. He had some shady stuff going on man. I remember it like yesterday. If he is a personal friend of yours, then I understand your position. Just saying how it was. Heck we were talking about in my Masonic Lodge back then in Houston. It was ugly. And my lodge is in his old district. Folks were not happy man.
My info comes from an old man I met about 3 years ago. The info was unsolicited. Yeah, she did beat Craig handily but how do you think her campaign was funded. Sheila had no money. Craig had his issues but Craig held a position of power in congress that was given up when Sheila beat him. His senority carried weight and Delay and crew needed him out so his senority would not be a factor.

I have lived in Houston all my life and Sheila is not darling to the Black community....at least not to those who pay attention.

When he was in DC is how it got tarnished. LOL. Remember the scandal he had. Renting his office from his ex wife or something and the not showing up for votes in House. He was absent a lot. That's how Sheila Lee was able to get his spot.

Plus he has had his law license suspended for professional conduct violations. LOL. He has had a couple of gun incidents. The list goes on. LOL

Sheila got his spot with the help of the repub out of Sugarland and his buddies.

You kidding me, Tom Delay? LOL. Man, Craig killed his own chances being stand offish to the community he came from. Plus Barbara Jordan was not a fan of his before she died. She was dismayed he didn't live up to her and Mickey Leland legacy. Craig opposed a lot of projects that would benefit the Houston area and started acting aloof. Ironically Sheila time is probably needing to come to an end too. LOL.

Okay I see what happened now, evidently plenty people thought checkers was being played instead of chess. I was a very young man when all of this took place, but I was also very politically astute and in tune with matters pertaining to the black community. What both of you are saying has merit, but let's be real about it. All congressman miss votes. That was one of a small number of phony issues used as a reason oppose him. He could come off as stand-offish at times though, so you'll get no argument from me on that one. Also, I will concede that Craig made some moves that made him politically vulnerable. Now for the real reason Craig lost, it was because he had lost the support of the white downtown Houston business establishment. I remember reading in the old Houston Post that Ken Lay, yeah that Ken Lay synonymous with the now infamously defunct Enron, promised to do everything within his power to get Craig out of office. He promised and he succeeded by playing the oldest game white business elites play. He went and got a black woman to bump a black man plain and simple. I don't know how you missed that, but somehow you did. At the time Sheila Jackson-Lee was a lesser known city council person in Houston and had nowhere near the name recognition of Craig nor the money to fund a campaign for congressional office. Keep in mind Craig was an incumbent and highly respected by his colleagues in congress for his political acumen, and he had a political war chest to fund his campaign(s) as a result. I have no doubt Tom "The Hammer" Delay wanted Craig out of office just as much as Ken Lay, but for different reasons. I also find it completely plausible that with the two of them having aligned interest, getting rid of Craig, that money for her campaign came from both camps. As you said in one of your other post is was ugly. I wish I could find that old Houston Post article, but as you probably know that paper went under. I did find something though.

Mr. Lay, temperamentally a Republican, directed three of every four dollars Enron contributed to Congress to the Republican Party. But he dabbled with Democrats, too. In Houston, after an incumbent congressman irritated downtown business leaders, Mr. Lay led the fund-raising efforts to help elect a little-known challenger, Sheila Jackson-Lee, now one of the most liberal Democrats in Congress.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/03/u...n-his-influence-lost-lay-prepares-answer.html

Okay I see what happened now, evidently plenty people thought checkers was being played instead of chess. I was a very young man when all of this took place, but I was also very politically astute and in tune with matters pertaining to the black community. What both of you are saying has merit, but let's be real about it. All congressman miss votes. That was one of a small number of phony issues used as a reason oppose him. He could come off as stand-offish at times though, so you'll get no argument from me on that one. Also, I will concede that Craig made some moves that made him politically vulnerable. Now for the real reason Craig lost, it was because he had lost the support of the white downtown Houston business establishment. I remember reading in the old Houston Post that Ken Lay, yeah that Ken Lay synonymous with the now infamously defunct Enron, promised to do everything within his power to get Craig out of office. He promised and he succeeded by playing the oldest game white business elites play. He went and got a black woman to bump a black man plain and simple. I don't know how you missed that, but somehow you did. At the time Sheila Jackson-Lee was a lesser known city council person in Houston and had nowhere near the name recognition of Craig nor the money to fund a campaign for congressional office. Keep in mind Craig was an incumbent and highly respected by his colleagues in congress for his political acumen, and he had a political war chest to fund his campaign(s) as a result. I have no doubt Tom "The Hammer" Delay wanted Craig out of office just as much as Ken Lay, but for different reasons. I also find it completely plausible that with the two of them having aligned interest, getting rid of Craig, that money for her campaign came from both camps. As you said in one of your other post is was ugly. I wish I could find that old Houston Post article, but as you probably know that paper went under. I did find something though.

Mr. Lay, temperamentally a Republican, directed three of every four dollars Enron contributed to Congress to the Republican Party. But he dabbled with Democrats, too. In Houston, after an incumbent congressman irritated downtown business leaders, Mr. Lay led the fund-raising efforts to help elect a little-known challenger, Sheila Jackson-Lee, now one of the most liberal Democrats in Congress.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/03/u...n-his-influence-lost-lay-prepares-answer.html
My memory is not what it use to be and it was Lay who drove the machine to get Craig gone but Delay was involved as well. She I'll had nowhere near the money required to unseat Craig. When Craig was 'defeated' dems lost control of a committee (can't remember the one Craigslist headed) because they no longer had the senior member.

My info comes from an old man I met about 3 years ago. The info was unsolicited. Yeah, she did beat Craig handily but how do you think her campaign was funded. Sheila had no money. Craig had his issues but Craig held a position of power in congress that was given up when Sheila beat him. His senority carried weight and Ken Lay and crew needed him out so his senority would not be a factor.

I have lived in Houston all my life and Sheila is not darling to the Black community....at least not to those who pay attention.
Please see correct above.....LawDawg is right about it being Ken Lay.

My info comes from an old man I met about 3 years ago. The info was unsolicited. Yeah, she did beat Craig handily but how do you think her campaign was funded. Sheila had no money. Craig had his issues but Craig held a position of power in congress that was given up when Sheila beat him. His senority carried weight and Delay and crew needed him out so his senority would not be a factor.

Yeah I know Sheila has become somewhat of a HACK. LOL. She has been their too long and is self serving. Sometimes power corrupts in a different way. For her, I think it is her ego. She needs to probably be replaced by a younger person from the community. All I remember is how bad Craig's voting practices were. It was not good. I am sure the Republicans were glad to get him out if he had Seniority. That is the name of the game. I am sure they will be back soon to unseat Sheila. LOL.

Good info Law Dawg. Ken Lay was a personal friend of the Bush's. So any involvement by him is not shocking. LOL. My conspiracy theory with him is he is still alive somewhere. Courtesy of help from Daddy Bush.

Good info Law Dawg. Ken Lay was a personal friend of the Bush's. So any involvement by him is not shocking. LOL. My conspiracy theory with him is he is still alive somewhere. Courtesy of help from Daddy Bush.
Hell yeah he lives....and I ain't talking about the Messiah either.

Yeah I know Sheila has become somewhat of a HACK. LOL. She has been their too long and is self serving. Sometimes power corrupts in a different way. For her, I think it is her ego. She needs to probably be replaced by a younger person from the community. All I remember is how bad Craig's voting practices were. It was not good. I am sure the Republicans were glad to get him out if he had Seniority. That is the name of the game. I am sure they will be back soon to unseat Sheila. LOL.

A younger person ran against her a few years ago. She pulled some really nasty stuff. Costing people their job kind of stuff.

Back to the truck driver....I spoke to my neighbor across the street who drove long haul for years and I asked him about it. He said there were times he took the same route, stopped at the same locations, etc....if they told him the rig was empty he never checked it. If when he left it was a certain weight and then he went to the weigh station and it was the same or mighty close her kept rolling.

This entire story is strange.

They probably paid him around 15K to drive. I know of a person who allegedly did this back in the 90's a few times and heard he got paid 3-5k then until he got caught. Didn't do much time because it wasn't a big deal like today..... I think he did a few months.

Back