Why Dennis Rodman, not Jordan should have been ‘96 Finals MVP

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
This is a 34-minute video. Here is the cliff notes version.

The argument for Rodman:
- The Bulls as a team were outplayed statistically the entire series on offense by the Sonics. Jordan and Pippen had some of their overall worst shooting performances in their postseason careers against Seattle.
-Rodman’s rebounding, particularly on the offensive glass, allowed the Bulls offset their poor shooting in the series.
-Rodman’s ability to get certain Sonics in foul trouble played a role in the Bulls being able to create momentum and take control in key moments in games and throughout the series.
-Rodman’s defense on Shawn Kemp as the primary defender during points in the series limited Seattle’s offense just enough to help Chicago create separation.
-After the series, many of the Seattle players, including then-head coach George Karl, expressed that Rodman was the difference in the Finals more so than any other Bulls player.

I was and still am a Bulls fan. I can agree with this.

I was a fan of those Bulls teams when I was younger and I agree as well. Like you can't argue against Jordan getting it but I wouldn't have been mad if Rodman got it (although that 7.5 PPG/14.7 RPG wouldn't have been as sexy for the league lol)

I saw it.

What was funny to me is Shaq seemed 6 inches taller and to outweigh Rodman by 100 pounds.

Shaq was a lot like Mike Tyson. People lost to Mike before they got in the ring because they were intimidated. The same with Shaq. Rodman DGAF. Dude brought it every night. Didn't matter who you were or how big and bad you were.

I didn't like all the craziness, but I loved to watch Rodman play.

Ben Wallace locked him down too in that 2004 NBA finals.

Back