Who's been watching ‘The Quad'

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
GAMU has better commercials out than some non-fiction HBCUs

If you’ve been watching any Viacom-owned television networks over the last two days, you may have noticed a commercial for Georgia A&M University, the fictitious HBCU that serves as the setting for BET’s upcoming drama, ‘The Quad.’

If you are fast enough, you can see the web address for the recruitment commercial is GAMURecruitment.org.

You have to hand it to the show’s producers and the marketing agency working with BET to promote this show, which is sure to draw record viewing numbers. The hope is that the show will do for HBCUs what ‘Being Mary Jane’ did for professional black women; a responsible, authentic view of black life with the right balance of ratchet and righteousness to keep an audience talking and thinking on a weekly basis.

https://hbcudigest.com/bet-gets-sli...-quad-and-georgia-a-m-c47953ed6723#.hcdb1ypgo

GAMU_header_v2.png

http://gamurecruitment.org/

Last edited:
I ain't even mad...I've LONG known that MARKETING IS THE KEY to wealth...it's how 50 Shades of Grey--a mediocre book at best--is the most sold book ever behind the Bible....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It would be cool if it brought back interest for students to attend HBCUs in the same manner of School Daze or Different World for my generation. Kinda wish they would drop the A&M and the Maroon & White to something else, but I understand. LOL!

Note to @Fiyah - (I modified the title of this thread. There was no need to create a new one)

So, have any of you been watching this show? What are your thoughts so far?

Hampton's president, Dr. William Harvey wrote a letter to BET to express his displeasure with the show. He is not happy with it.

Thoughts?

Note to @Fiyah - (I modified the title of this thread. There was no need to create a new one)

Hampton's president, Dr. William Harvey wrote a letter to BET to express his displeasure with the show. He is not happy with it.

Thoughts?

Why wasn't he happy with it? I haven't watched the show because I don't have BET. I have to pay for it in another package.

GAMU has better commercials out than some non-fiction HBCUs

If you’ve been watching any Viacom-owned television networks over the last two days, you may have noticed a commercial for Georgia A&M University, the fictitious HBCU that serves as the setting for BET’s upcoming drama, ‘The Quad.’

If you are fast enough, you can see the web address for the recruitment commercial is GAMURecruitment.org.

You have to hand it to the show’s producers and the marketing agency working with BET to promote this show, which is sure to draw record viewing numbers. The hope is that the show will do for HBCUs what ‘Being Mary Jane’ did for professional black women; a responsible, authentic view of black life with the right balance of ratchet and righteousness to keep an audience talking and thinking on a weekly basis.

https://hbcudigest.com/bet-gets-sli...-quad-and-georgia-a-m-c47953ed6723#.hcdb1ypgo

GAMU_header_v2.png

http://gamurecruitment.org/
I watched the first episode and one lastnight. I guess the President is divorcing her husband. She is mad at him and her daughter. The president cheated on her husband. She can't be mad at him for being mad.

Saw the first couple of episodes...saw some realistic things i.e funding needs, BOT members out to get the prez, the egomaniac band director and drum major and band member getting beat nearly to death. The Hampton president might be upset w/the sex specifically the president smashing the grad student. As for the unrealistic, I'm not believing any president taking, I believe it was $70K out of her and hubby's joint account to get the water on campus turned back on. Not many would probably take the six figure donation from the alum w/the successful chain of strip clubs either....probably.

Thoughts?

I read the letter...I understand his points fully. BET in my opinion is nothing of what it used to be. It appears to me that a number of the new shows portray black males as unruly, thugs, or hoodlums. Meanwhile portraying black women as overly sexual and angry all the time.

I read the letter...I understand his points fully. BET in my opinion is nothing of what it used to be. It appears to me that a number of the new shows portray black males as unruly, thugs, or hoodlums. Meanwhile portraying black women as overly sexual and angry all the time.

Hampton is the same school that bans students from wearing dreadlocks and cornrows and advised women not to twerk. So this letter dripping with respectability isn't surprising.

Being Mary Jane made black professional women look likes whores can't get their own man. I stopped watching the show after the second season.
You should start watching again. She's never been a whore...yep, she likes what she likes and goes after it with who she wants...but they've revamped it and it's pretty darn good. Got a man and all too....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
BET has come full circle, IMO. The shows they are putting on now are fresh and a good look to me.

You should start watching again. She's never been a whore...yep, she likes what she likes and goes after it with who she wants...but they've revamped it and it's pretty darn good. Got a man and all too....

Nah I won't be watching it.

Plus there is an additional charge for BET so I don't enjoy it that much to be spending money for it.

Anyone still watching? It's been interesting lately and dealing with issues like funding and merging PWCs. On the last episode the PWC president mentioned on a couple of occasions that graduated from Southern.

I watch and enjoy it....Sorry but some of these things happen at HBCU(s) and PWI(s) as well.

Too many storylines going on at once, made the show hard to follow and keep interest. It's like they were trying to give each and every character on the show these deep storylines. If they took their time to slowly develop the characters, then it probably would have been more successful.

Back