Who will be the first coach to go and when?

Who will be the first coach to go and when?

• James Spady

• Monte Coleman

• Tony Hughes

• Rick Comegy

• Michael Haywood

Results are only viewable after voting.
No dude everybody wants Hughes gone..
I'm sure that a lot of folks are in the recently appointed President's ear about what to do concerning Hughes but I'm willing to bet that he will be allowed to complete his contract (and may even get a vote of confidence). A number of things are at play here in making those decisions as I'm sure you can imagine...

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What if if Hughes rolls out and takes another assistant job in FBS? Dude looks frustrated and over his head. Maybe he just needs to be an assistant and go back to recruiting.
Hughes coaching in 2018. I personally agree with you but he aint getting fired.

What if if Hughes rolls out and takes another assistant job in FBS? Dude looks frustrated and over his head. Maybe he just needs to be an assistant and go back to recruiting.
Yea he definitely doesn't have a clue as to being a head coach, toppled with no qualified asst coaches. After he leaves JSU i dnt care where he goes. He doesnt have that jsu pride anyway. He's to stuck on SEC. Many times he's degraded hbcu football. He's not what HBCU sports need right now.

I'm sure that a lot of folks are in the recently appointed President's ear about what to do concerning Hughes but I'm willing to bet that he is allowed to complete his contract (and may even get a vote of confidence). A number of things are at play here in making those decisions as I'm sure you can imagine...

I personally don't care for the dude but if it is one thing he will do he won't be wasteful with money (well he and his team (except for Briggs)). That's why I think he'll get one more year or at least start off next year as the coach

Haywood - It was hard to judge him his first year at TXSU because he inherited a team full of seniors. I knew he was going to struggle this year because he lost a lot of talent especially on defense. The third year is really going to be the year to show what he is working with and if he can install a winning attitude in Houston.

Hughes - He should be given the full time at Jackson St. However he needs an immediate fix to that offense to have any kind of success.

Comegy - I want him to have success. I not here to bash Valley as Alcorn went on a 16 game losing streak from 99-01 and went 6 years without a winning season. If Valley is working on upping the scholarships then I think Comegy should be able to get 2 more years. However Comegy should be able to retire because he has coached in Mississippi for more than 10 years. Valley needs depth bad and he should be able to compete.

Spady - I don't think he will last. I felt they didn't have the talent at AAMU to compete with the top 4 teams in the SWAC. Every time he has played Alcorn he got blown out.

Coleman - I think that he will get fired. He hasn't won more than 3 games a year since he won the SWAC in 2012. However if what UAPB posters are saying is true about the scholarships then he should be given another year.

"Dorsey was the head football coach at Mississippi Valley State University in Itta Bena, Mississippi from 1990 to the end of the 1998 season. While at Mississippi Valley State, he accumulated a record of 37–54–3." Wikipedia

Archie Cooley 1980-86 40-24 3 .597
Ken Pettiford 1987-89 5-27 0 .156
Larry Dorsey 1990-98 37-54 3 .393
LaTraia Jones 1999-2001 5 28 0 .156
Willie Totten 2002-09 31-57 0 .352
Karl Morgan 2010- 6 -6 0 .187

http://web.archive.org/web/20150905.../m/mississippi_valley_state/yearly_totals.php

two 7 wins seasons for Dorsey and that has not been done since....hmm

Yea he definitely doesn't have a clue as to being a head coach, toppled with no qualified asst coaches. After he leaves JSU i dnt care where he goes. He doesnt have that jsu pride anyway. He's to stuck on SEC. Many times he's degraded hbcu football. He's not what HBCU sports need right now.
Evidence, exhibit A.

If they bring Spady back I promise y'all I'm going to run across the field butt azz naked with my middle finger stuck up at him and the president. Watch what I tell you. Y'all heard it hear first.
I got a CEE note for bail no pun intended

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Hughes should get to coach out his contract and be evaluated after next season. We have to quit all the turnover. No one likes the losing thats going on but the primary ones crying are the ones that wanted Comegy gone.

I completely agree. It's always harder to fix something that's broken especially when someone has to fix something that was broken by someone else.

Bring Larry Dorsey back. He won with limitations and never got his just due. Even won to the point where presidents thought there were expectations, lol.

I see teams wearing hard hats on the sideline again.

No lol. The former Valley coach that most people would be OK with bringing back is Morgan not Dorsey because at least you knew Valley defensively would be OK and that he was fired by Bynum after only one year (when most of the talent on defense graduated). If you gave him Comegy's salary/assistants (include a real offensive guru) and 50+ scholarships Valley would compete.

That being said, Valley most likely will go young coach wise (a handful of possible names are being rumored but of course those probably won't be known until after Comegy's contract is no longer renewed and the interview process is done)

I think Coleman will get to coach the final year of his two year deal. If what Lioness said is true and UAPB has their full allotment of schollies, I think they will give him the benefit of the doubt and give him one more year

Coleman - I think that he will get fired. He hasn't won more than 3 games a year since he won the SWAC in 2012. However if what UAPB posters are saying is true about the scholarships then he should be given another year.

https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/monte-coleman-receives-2-year-extension-from-uapb.125414/

(post #28, courtesy of my love bucket @bluedog :))

Back