Who will actually play for A&M?

Blacknbengal

? More From The Huntsville Times

Sports News

Bulldogs get ready to start workouts

04/02/02

By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

The number of players who have left the Alabama A&M football team since Anthony Jones became coach has reached five.

Running back Eddie Rowe transferred to Morris Brown just after Jones arrived and tight end Matt Kruse told Jones his heart isn't in it anymore.

Defensive end Robert King, defensive back Russell McGuire and quarterback Johnathan Harris recently left the team and won't participate in spring practice when it begins Wednesday.

Rowe, Kruse, King and Harris were penciled in as guys who would have had an opportunity to play significantly.

Rowe, who could play tailback and fullback, was A&M's sixth-leading rusher with 153 yards on 39 carries. Kruse, who also doubled as a long snapper, caught seven passes for 73 yards. Harris was 20-of-42 for 235 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

King played in nine games, coming away with 17 tackles, including six for 35 yards in losses and one sack. He also had three pass breakups, recovered a fumble and forced a fumble.

Let's do the shuffle: At least five players, and maybe more before drills are over, will play new positions this spring.

Two of those players - Antonio Wallace and Travis Martin - will be going back to familiar A&M football notebook positions. Wallace will move to fullback after playing linebacker last season, and Martin will go back to wide receiver after playing defensive back a year ago.

Meanwhile, Courtney Young, Jeremy Adwaters and Trayvon Leslie will be learning new positions.

Young, a defensive back a year ago, will work at wide receiver, while Adwaters and Leslie, offensive linemen last season, will move to tight end.

Missing spring: A handful of key players, including five possible starters, will miss some parts of spring training.

Defensive tackle Curry Calloway (knee) and running back Chris Brown (hand) will miss the entire spring while recuperating from offseason surgery.

Defensive tackle Mac Hampton, outside linebacker Martel Holt and wide receiver Ray James will participate in non-contact drills only. Hampton and Holt are recuperating from offseason shoulder surgery, and James had surgery on his wrist after last season.

Practice schedule: A&M will practice on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays over the next month. The annual Maroon and White Game is set for April 27 at 1:30 at Louis Crews Stadium.

Former A&M strength coach joins Ball State staff

Former Alabama A&M strength coach Karl Jordan has been named assistant strength and conditioning coach at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., school officials announced.

Jordan, who was fired by A&M at the end of last season, will assist longtime BSU strength and conditioning coordinator Wade Russell.

''We are very excited to have someone with Karl's experience join our staff,'' Russell said. ''He was a very successful Division I student-athlete and knows what it takes to succeed at this level.''

Russell said Jordan will assist with all 22 intercollegiate athletic teams in the Ball State program.

Reggie Benson

After reading this, I am wondering if AAMU will beat Valley this year.

SWAC EAST Standings

1. Jackson State
2. Alcorn State
3. Alabama State
4. Valley or AAMU???

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
AND????

Originally posted by Tigerpride
After reading this, I am wondering if AAMU will beat Valley this year.

Why would you say a STUPID thing like that? :confused:

Were these players the best on the squad???....no.

If I'm not mistaken, we have 17 starters coming back. With Jake Wilson and Gunn perform better than Jonathan Harris at QB, so he really won't be missed. You make it sound as if Jamaal Ware, Robert Mathis, and Lionel Mackin (yeah, you know who they are)and our entire defensive line has left. I wonder if the fact that four of our starting O linemen will hurt us, too.

Eddie Rowe...our SIXTH leading rusher is gone...okay?
I'd rather stick with John Burroughs, Bryan Thompson, Tieko Williams and Jonathan Rowland, anyway.
Not to mention our talented (yet underused :)) receiving corp is all coming back. Lindsey, Wells,...no need to go on.

Our achilles' heal has ALWAYS been our secondary, primarily in the long pass. I'm sure that problem will be alleviated. Hell, your secondary was worser than ours, so no need for additional commentary. :p

It's amazing....JSU moves some players around and now they are all-world...
But if AAMU moves acouple of players, they now will finish below Valley. :rolleyes:

JSU logic at it's finest. :(

Now c'mon, Tarzan...this is the SPORTS board, so you can be REAL here. :lol:

You and I both know that it was never in question whether we possessed talent on our squad. Its' just that the talent was misused or unutilized at all last season. Questionable play calling killed our entire season.
None of us from the Pound denied that COACHING was our downfall...we just didn't broadcast it to you chumps. :p

But you can pretend all you want that you don't believe that the returning starters will be a benefit for us in the upcoming season.
Some of your fellow MAFIA know...but they may not be willing to admit that on here. :D

So continue on with your "AAMU is garbage" and "y'all are gonna finish below Valley" tirades...I understand that that's just how you are. :cool:

Ntelekt,

You said the same things to me last year when I predicted you in fourth place. You did not believe that I was serious then but I was. I was right. And just for the record, I ain't never seen no talent on your team. If 16 starters from a 7-5 team can manage to go 3-8, 4-7 or whatever, 17 starters from a 4-7 team can manage to lose to Valley.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Ntelekt,

You said the same things to me last year when I predicted you in fourth place. You did not believe that I was serious then but I was. I was right. And just for the record, I ain't never seen no talent on your team. If 16 starters from a 7-5 team can manage to go 3-8, 4-7 or whatever, 17 starters from a 4-7 team can manage to lose to Valley.

How many of those starters were hurt the first game and out for the season? Come on now, use YOUR LOGIC. We lost THREE All Swac players the first damn game of the season. And for our team to be so sorry last season, JSU sure did have a VERY TOUGH time with AAMU. TP, what was the score at halftime? I am not into IFS like you are, but there could have been a lot of IFS this game.

THE POINT IS THIS

YOU COULDN'T BEAT US WITH THEM......SO YOU DAYUM SURE WON'T BEAT US WITHOUT THEM.
LMAO
LMAO
LOL
LOL

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

THis is how AAMU stadium looks at home games....
AAMU.jpg

*crikets*

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
THE POINT IS THIS

YOU COULDN'T BEAT US WITH THEM......SO YOU DAYUM SURE WON'T BEAT US WITHOUT THEM.

Noisey:

First off, this isn't the SMACK BOARD, so I will refrain from doing so. ;)
Secondly...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Hill mentioned that 3 of those players were out in the first game of the season. So I think there is a HUGE flaw in your assessment! :p

Tarzan:

The only halfway decent point you have is the part about a 16 starter team going from 7-5 to 4-7 might manage to lose to Valley. That's possible...but you have to ALSO realize that that was LAST YEAR! Like I said before, it was coaching that kept us down.
Hell, you say that we're only gonna win 3-4 games EVERY year, so there is no need to throw a parade just becuase the sun shined on your azz this once. :D

The ironic (or should I saw moronic) thing is that we have 17 starters and we are in trouble...but your country cousins at Alcorn are returning 16 starters...and they are the best thing since the lent brush.
I guess that's more JSU logic, huh? :(

Dahill:

Yeah...they did have a tough time in that game. I sat with Robber, GR, and Battle Cat in the 2nd half so I know their views. It's a good thing that we aren't "If's and But's" people like our boy TP is...:cool:

Ntelekt,

You are not Alcorn. Alcorn has a football rep and tradition. They also have an OC with HC experience and a very good QB returning. AAMU does not have that. Do you recall me telling you about teams with ceilings?? Some teams can make the transition to the top. Others can't. TNState is a good example. Not many teams can go from 3-8 to 8-3.

I am not saying that you don't have a good coach I am just saying that you are AAMU. You figure it out.

Answer this TP , what does JSU have a tradition of in the 2000's chocking. You talk mess after mess and JSU still has not won a title yet.:lmao:

Rep and tradition??? :eek:

What da hell does that have to do with anything??? Did rep and tradition prevent them from going 0 and Forever the other year???...of course it didn't.

So...an OC with HC experience means automatic success, huh? Okay, man. :lol:
Your logic is killing me. :)

Very good QB?...okay, if you say so. How do you know what kind of QB we have when YOU haven't seen them??? We didn't even throw the ball last year, so where's your basic? It's not that we didn't have receivers open time after time after time, but the COACH didn't want the ball thrown downfield. *shrugs shoulders*

You mention TnSU, but why did TSU go 3-8 in the first place? Was it because they RETURNED umpteen starters???...of course not. You're the boy genius...YOU tell me why. :D

Well????????????

We will see just how far the jsue 'tiny tiggers' can go?????

Hmmmmmmmmmmm????????????

BTW, please start working on a new batch of excuses and a whole bucket full of if's, and's, and but's for the 2002 season. :snicker:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ay, Strawdog....
I got a question.......

If we don't win the title.......can we borrow one of the excuses yall have used over the years?

I'm sure you got some way back in the closet that you can spare.

:rolleyes:

*sniker*

*crikets*

LMAO

THE BLUE WALL AWAITS YOU......LOWLY DOGS!
...and anyone else that wants to come our way in 2002!

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
Ay, Strawdog....
I got a question.......

If we don't win the title.......can we borrow one of the excuses yall have used over the years?

Why, when you can use one of your OWN! You've got a litany of them!

No, my friend, that would be SWAC TITLES. We have a litany of SWAC TITLES. Your bad.

*sniker*

Ay, by the way, how many SWAC titles do you guys have?

*crickets*

:rolleyes:

Get a clue.

But that's just it...

Why do you insist on talking about SWAC TITLES???

Since we've been in the SWAC, we've won the same amount of titles as you have! :lol: :p
You look silly to keep harping on that.

And the fact that YOU constantly ask how many SWAC this and SWAC that we've won when we WEREN'T in the conference is just STUPID!

Hell...for that matter, you might as well ask:

Tuskegee why they haven't won any CIAA Football titles...

Philadelphia 76ers why they never won the WESTERN Conference Title...

Atlanta Falcons why they've not been able to get there hands on the AFC championship...

Chicago Cubs why they STILL haven't attained the AMERICAN LEAGUE Pennant...

I could go on and on....but all of these examples go to show the exact same thing...

You must not be that bright! :D

Sylvan Learning...send help. :(

You Sippi clowns can talk all you want to but if your teams aren't playing fundametally sound this year it is going to be a long season nephew. Lets just say it is going to come down to coaching so don't be disappointed.

Re: AND????

Originally posted by Ntelekt

Why would you say a STUPID thing like that? :confused:
(
Because he's just plain ole ____, uh nevermind since this is not the smack board.

<-------trying to focus on the topic of this thread, AAMU has all of the talent it needs for 2002. Cooper had what he needed but couldn't get the players and staff on one accord but thats okay. Cooper has moved on...,

AAMU will be the team to beat in the East. So if you are sleeping on the Bulldogs right now, sleep on. All I can say is wait till the season starts.....,

Since my first question was so far fetched...lol
Here's a better question, perhaps...
HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU BEATEN JSU
*jeopardy music*

*crikets*
*yawn*

*fart*

Back