Who has the best "Smile" arrangement, JSU or SU?

Who has the best "Smile" arrangement?

• JSU

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • SU

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Jsu's arrangement was more to the original tune; and there is nothing wrong with that.
Su's arrangement shows the expressive nature and musical liberty with which that
arranger was feeling, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

After listening to them both, really well, I honestly liked the "fresher" take as performed by the Jukes just a bit better.

'I personally liked JSU's arrangement better. But I also could appreciate SU's arrangement and the jazzy component attached to it. Much of SU's work encompasses a jazz element which is reflective of the jazz culture that is so strong in Southern Louisiana and New Orleans..

Y'all do know that these are two different versions of Smile?

JSU played the gospel song, I Smile by Kirk Franklin

Southern played the rap song by Scarface and Tupac

Last edited:
Jsu's arrangement was more to the original tune; and there is nothing wrong with that.
Su's arrangement shows the expressive nature and musical liberty with which that
arranger was feeling, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

After listening to them both, really well, I honestly liked the "fresher" take as performed by the Jukes just a bit better.
The arrangements sound so different because they are 2 different songs. lol

SU played I Smile by Kirk Franklin (which JSU is playing in the clip back in 2011).

Last edited:
The arrangements sound so different because they are 2 different songs. lol

SU played I Smile by Kirk Franklin (which JSU is playing in the clip back in 2011).

Yes, I thought that was understood, and was a given. Even so, I prefer what SU did with their arrangement of the "rap" "smile"
versus what Jsu did with the "gosple" "smile". As for them being two different songs, I thought everyone already knew that...LOL

Yes, I thought that was understood, and was a given. Even so, I prefer what SU did with their arrangement of the "rap" "smile"
versus what Jsu did with the "gosple" "smile". As for them being two different songs, I thought everyone already knew that...LOL
Either way, I agreed with what you posted, but I really believe most of the others were thinking it was the same song, especially the OP. lol

The bigger question is why does it look like Kirk Franklin is wearing pink lipstick in that video. lol

Y'all do know that these are two different versions of Smile?

JSU played the gospel song, I Smile by Kirk Franklin

Southern played the rap song by Scarface and Tupac

Thanks number 1! I didn't know about the two different arrangements! The post by the JSU poster is actually deceptive then! From now on. I must be more discerning as it relates to this poster.

Last edited:
If someone told y'all, the cow jumped over the moon, y'all would ask, "how did the cow get to the moon? Different version or different song, the majority prefers JSU's arrangement over whatever Southern was trying to arrange!

If someone told y'all, the cow jumped over the moon, y'all would ask, "how did the cow get to the moon? Different version or different song, the majority prefers JSU's arrangement over whatever Southern was trying to arrange!

GTFOH with that crap!

The point is, evidently, most were more familiar with the "gospel" song versus the "rap" song...likely due to the demographics of the users who responded.

Southern's arrangement was spot on given the original version from which it was written. Your reply implies that that arranger failed to adequately pen the arrangement.
To which, I would have to vigorously disagree with your opinion, which is one, based on your sheer hatred for the Jukebox, and two, based on the fact that you wouldn't
know a good arrangement if it ran up to you and gave you a pat on the back....especially if is comes from the musical pen of an SU arranger.

Carry on...

Back