Where do we go from here?

b8sball17

Coppin State College is soon to announce the hiring of Guy Robertson, a second assistant from Towson University and a 97 graduate of Elon University as head coach of the beleaguerd baseball program.

Out of 7 baseball programs remaining in the MEAC, Robertson is the third caucasion to be named Head coach. J.P. Blandin of Del State and Keith Shumate of A&T are the other two white coaches in the conference. Bethune Cookman's Mervyl Melendez is the only hispanic coach in the MEAC. SO where does that leave the black coach?

Even in predominitly black conferences, qualified coaches are being overlooked. In the NCAA, there were no black head coaches coaches outside the MEAC and SWAC. Is this trend or sterotype that white coaches are better spreading through black conferences or were these isolated cases where the best man got the job? Do black institutions have an obligation to promote qualified AA coaches or simply survive with the "best"? Are white coaches obligated to fulfill the universities mission by bringing in qualified minorities to compete or is diversifying the team fulfuills the schools mission as well?

Are those qualified coaches sentenced to inner city high schools where skills, number of players, and funds are thin (depending on your locale)? Those coaches who go the high school route usually are never considered as a head coach because they lack the university coaching experience.

What web has HBCUs spun for black coaches in the sport of baseball?

Where do we go from here? Good question!!!

I think we continue to hire the best coaches available, rergardless of race. If a white coach is a better coach for your program, then hire him/her.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Jag Voice
Where do we go from here? Good question!!!

I think we continue to hire the best coaches available, rergardless of race. If a white coach is a better coach for your program, then hire him/her.

I agree, let's hope we can get rid of our coach at TSU.

Hey,

I'm of the opinion that you hire the best person available to put your program over the top and compete for a title. As long as that person is ethical and professional, it makes no difference the race.

With this being baseball, many of us wouldn't raise and eyebrow at whom ever is hired. Conversely, a LOT of us may have a problem with the hiring of a non African-American coach in football or basketball.

Your HONEST thoughts?.....

The problem with our head coaches is not their ability nor their ability to recruit and develop talent. The coaches are knowledgeable baseball men who knows the strategies of the game. Offensively, our run production and hitting is on point.

The problem is that we don't have the budgets to hire full-time assistants (one of which should be a top-notch pitching coach).
We have to rely on volunteer former players and graduate assistants to serve as our pitching coaches. That hurts when we go against programs that have at least 5 assistant coaches.

In the NCAA, there were no black head coaches coaches outside the MEAC and SWAC.

I'm of the opinion that you hire the best person available to put your program over the top and compete for a title. As long as that person is ethical and professional, it makes no difference the race.

Typically i would agree with you on this point. And i know two wrongs don't make a right, but why hire them when they don't hire us.

The problem is that we don't have the budgets to hire full-time assistants (one of which should be a top-notch pitching coach).

What MikeBigg said is very true about HBCUs.

If there are not a lot of qualified blacks out there, then you go with what is best.

PV will or is in the process of finding a new baseball coach and several folks have expressed interest in a qualified black candidate who has went to the Texas HS state tournament in baseball.

There are several knowledgable black baseball folks in Texas but I don't know about the East Coast.

Originally posted by b8sball17

Typically i would agree with you on this point. And i know two wrongs don't make a right, but why hire them when they don't hire us.

First of all, who says the better Black coaches want to come to a HBCU. A few months ago the page was in an uproar praising Ty Willingham for going to Notre Dame. No I-AA program could afford this guy or any other coach of his caliber.

The same goes for baseball. Until we increase our athletic budgets, you hire the best coach willing to come to your school. If you limit to just Black, you will sell your program short in the long run.

Back