When it comes to DVDs, do you prefer . . .

Deuce

. . . Widescreen or Full-Screen?

I'm just really beginning to build my DVD collection, and quite frankly, I don't know which one I prefer. I like them both really.

Which format do you think is better, and why. Does it matter if you don't have a flat-panel widescreen television? What if you have a widescreen tv in one room, and a regular tv in another room, and you watch dvd's in both rooms?

Most movie dvd's are available in both formats, and both formats have their advantages and disadvantages. The following link shows comparisons of both formats, and discusses the benefits of both.

What do you guys think?

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020925/index.html#69240

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Deuce said:

I'm just really beginning to build my DVD collection, and quite frankly, I don't know which one I prefer. I like them both really.

Which format do you think is better, and why. Does it matter if you don't have a flat-panel widescreen television? What if you have a widescreen tv in one room, and a regular tv in another room, and you watch dvd's in both rooms?

Most movie dvd's are available in both formats, and both formats have their advantages and disadvantages. The following link shows comparisons of both formats, and discusses the benefits of both.

What do you guys think?

I like widescreen. It gives you the theatrical feel when you watch a movie in the comfort of your home.

Deuce said:

What do you guys think?

I like widescreen. It gives you the theatrical feel when you watch a movie in the comfort of your home. Plus you see more in that format than fullscreen. I know it look crazy but it is true.

So far, it looks like widescreen is the most popular choice. I like it too, but as the linked article points out, full screen puts you closer to the characters, and it can be better when characters are speaking, and you get to see more detail even though you see less of the scene.

Deuce said:
So far, it looks like widescreen is the most popular choice. I like it too, but as the linked article points out, full screen puts you closer to the characters, and it can be better when characters are speaking, and you get to see more detail even though you see less of the scene.

Yep, Widescreen for me.........

Re: When it comes to DVDs, do you prefer . . .goin against the grain

LadyLuck13 said:
I prefer FULLSCREEN....for real.

LL13,

Since you are the only one who prefers full-screen (so far), could you enlighten me a little on what you like about it as opposed to widescreen.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Give me the widescreen, even if I don't have a widescreen TV.

It has that movie feel to it. :tup:

BILBREW said:
WIDESCREEN(It also helps if you have a decent-sized television as well)

My sentiments exactly. I prefer the fullscreen only if its a small television. I don't think widescreen looks good on a small screen tv.

Deuce said:
LL13,

Since you are the only one who prefers full-screen (so far), could you enlighten me a little on what you like about it as opposed to widescreen.

Why?
TSU/BAMA said:
My sentiments exactly. I prefer the fullscreen only if its a small television. I don't think widescreen looks good on a small screen tv.

^ :uhoh: I don't have that big of a tv. It's bigger than a 13 inch....I don't like part of the tv missing when I'm watching a movie.

LadyLuck13,

I wasn't trying to challenge your choice, I'm simply trying to get a little input on why people prefer one format over the other. As I said in my initial post, I like them both and I don't know which one to choose.

:tup:

When I first started buying DVD's, it really didn't matter to me, as long as I got my copy. Now, I look at the type, and if there's widescreen, I definitely go with that.

With some of the older shows, you don't get that choice.

I prefer the format that the media was orginally filmed in. So, that's usually widescreen for movies & fullscreen for TV shows. I've seen comparisons where you can tell how much the screen has been stretched to go from wide to full and how sometimes the left & right sides of the picture get cut off. So, I don't that's a good representative of the movie I want to see.

I can see the benefit of fullscreen though. I think you can set your DVD player to make the widescreen picture a little bigger and reduce the black bars. Not sure about that though.

kevdawg said:
I prefer the format that the media was orginally filmed in. So, that's usually widescreen for movies & fullscreen for TV shows. I've seen comparisons where you can tell how much the screen has been stretched to go from wide to full and how sometimes the left & right sides of the picture get cut off. So, I don't that's a good representative of the movie I want to see.

I can see the benefit of fullscreen though. I think you can set your DVD player to make the widescreen picture a little bigger and reduce the black bars. Not sure about that though.

Good points.

Back