What's up with all the hair in HBCU Marching Bands?

Tiger G

What's up in 2106, some Band members (females and males) were letting their hair hang past their shoulders, even some Drum Majors? If your hair is too long to be pinned under your Shako, you should cut it!

You don't see any hair hanging in the Big 10 or Military bands. Have standards been relaxed to play in HBCU marching bands? Uniformity has been lost. :(

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What was up in 2105, some Band members (females and males) were letting their hair hang past their shoulders, even some Drum Majors? If your hair is too long to be pinned under your Shako, you should cut it!

You don't see any hair hanging in the Big 10 or Military bands. Have standards been relaxed to play in HBCU marching bands? Uniformity has been lost. :(

You must be talking about Alcorn?

Last edited:
You must be talking about Alcorn?
No!!!! This relates to all of the HBCU Programs. Uniformity must start at the head and end at your toe or feet. What has happened to having inspection before you are exposed to the public? We have to start setting standards going forward. "2016"

What was up in 2105, some Band members (females and males) were letting their hair hang past their shoulders, even some Drum Majors? If your hair is too long to be pinned under your Shako, you should cut it!

I believe that's a Mississippi thing, males and females are wearing dreads and locks. That's just too much hair to tuck under a hat. That's why the hair hangs past their shoulders touching their uniforms.

016.JPG

It doesn't matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. What matters most is getting off. You cannot make progress without making decisions.

The Jukebox still don't allow it. No dreads, braids (unless you are girl and it has to be put up.) No ear rings.

Doc Greggs didn't play that crap. Glad to see we still adhere to the clean cut look.

No!!!! This relates to all of the HBCU Programs. Uniformity must start at the head and end at your toe or feet. What has happened to having inspection before you are exposed to the public? We have to start setting standards going forward. "2016"
Not all.

FAMU had all those Haitians with dreds and looked and sounded better than any other HBCU band..... does hair REALLY matter?

Tradition. FAMU always sounds good for the most part. Hair or no hair. LOL.

Just like the Yankees like no facial hair. Just the way some traditions are. At SU. You are not going to see all that INDIVIDUALITY stuff going on as Doc called it. One Band, One look. Uniformity. So no dreads or braids. No ear rings. Still remember when he told the upperclassmen during my time. I don't want to see any of that Jheri Curl drip drip isht either. Cut them crabs hair. LOL.

The crazy thing is the main ones that complain are the dudes. I have some students with dreds and they are talking about they are not cutting them off and i told them straight up you aren't marching in any HBCU Band in Louisiana then. Sad that men go crazy over hair; my crab brother hair was long as hell when he came to Gram, dude got it cut, and didn't whine one bit, he let if grow back after graduation and the rest is history. I prefer a clean cut band anyd ay than bands with these dreds and different colors are dirty to me to smh. Might as well prepare the students for the real world because appearance is important.

Last edited:
I used to laugh at the ones that used to go to SU thinking they don't have to cut their hair during the Doc era. "Mofo everyone before and after you had to go bald...WHAT makes you think you'll be different AND march??"...LOL

That explains why u see alot of people from louisiana in those mississippi bands. They dont want to cut there hair. Smh

That explains why u see alot of people from louisiana in those mississippi bands. They dont want to cut there hair. Smh

YEP. People may sound it's far fetched but it's true, this generation is weird.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
FAMU had all those Haitians with dreds and looked and sounded better than any other HBCU band..... does hair REALLY matter?

If you want to portray a well groomed uniform image, hair DOES matter, if you don't, hair REALLY doesn't matter.

Sounding good has NOTHING to do with the length or style of your hair. Sounding good is dependent on the arrangements and the instrumentation of the band and how well you execute playing those notes, not hair length. Let's NOT get it twisted!

Last edited:
If you want to portray a well groomed uniform image, hair DOES matter, if you don't, hair REALLY doesn't matter.

Sounding good has NOTHING to do with the length or style of your hair. Sounding good is dependent on the arrangements and the instrumentation of the band and how well you execute playing those notes, not hair length. Let's NOT get it twisted!
Hair has nothing to do with the sound...It is everything to do with the LOOK.

The tradition of marching band is based on MILITARY definition. Believe you me when I tell you that the criterion is that the hair not be even with or touch the top of the collar of the uniform coat. Consequently, any loose hair must be contained within the shako. No exceptions.

FAMU also was one of the most undisciplined college bands ever.

Hair had nothing to do with a few students making poor decisions...some of the same decisions that those "clean cut" band members at other school made.

If a band director wants their band to have a certain look but cutting hair, that's fine...but if a band director doesn't mind allow letting kids express themselves how they see fit, then that's fine too.

As an Old skool Alcornite I hate all the hair from the DMs too. Just not uniform but its new school stuff these days I guess

Back