What's the update with the New JSU Stadium??

Do you guys have to get approval from the state or a state appointed entity?
I’m not sure. Probably some state agency had to give their approval before borrowing the money to finance the building of the stadium. We’re still paying to service the debt, the same as A&M with their new auditorium. At one time we were over $200m in debt. Thanks to President Ross, all our indebtedness was forgiven except the stadium cost. The president then refinanced at a much lower interest rate. Now we have a very manageable annual payout to service the stadium debt.

Fuck Reeves. Nobody is going to kiss his pasty racist ass.
I don't like him either but this is how JSU and Jackson will fall further behind. This is important ass kissing, ass kissing that can lead to something JSU and the city of Jackson really need and can benefit from. It can be a huge economic booster in the city bringing more jobs, concerts, and events and a huge recruitment tool for JSU. We gotta learn how to play the game b/c Black folks often don't have enough power in Mississippi or in this country to create the rules of the game in our favor. And I'm so tired of Black politicians and citizens crying in front of white folks about discrimination b/c that rarely ever worked ... the majority don't care (or will only pretend to care) ... we gotta be more strategic than that (lawsuits, law changes, etc) if we looking for substantial change. And also we don't work well enough together yet to officially change the narrative that's been the same for over 400 years

But I know many people don't like to be told the truth so of course no positive change will happen in their lives or the lives around them

Last edited:
No, not for building facilities.
Back in the 2000s, ASU (and AAMU) was awarded like over $100 million (i forgot exactly how much) from the state due to discrimination lawsuit even though they were owed much more. That's how ASU was able to build that beautiful stadium and upgrade most of the campus. For many years ASU was far behind when it came to resources and development on campus.

JSU probably needs to file another lawsuit b/c they did like 15 years ago to and won some money.

Last edited:
Back in the 2000s, ASU (and AAMU) was awarded like over $100 million (i forgot exactly how much) from the state due to discrimination lawsuit even though they were owed much more. That's how ASU was able to build that beautiful stadium and upgrade most of the campus. For many years ASU was far behind when it came to resources and development on campus.

JSU probably needs to file another lawsuit b/c they did like 15 years ago to and won some money.
That is not how that stadium or the other work was done, it was borrowed money.

That money was used to establish new academic programs ( for example - College of Health Sciences - one of if not the most in demand school on campus) and scholarship money for minority (white) students.

Last edited:
I don't like him either but this is how JSU and Jackson will fall further behind. This is important ass kissing, ass kissing that can lead to something JSU and the city of Jackson really need and can benefit from. It can be a huge economic booster in the city bringing more jobs, concerts, and events and a huge recruitment tool for JSU. We gotta learn how to play the game b/c Black folks often don't have enough power in Mississippi or in this country to create the rules of the game in our favor. And I'm so tired of Black politicians and citizens crying in front of white folks about discrimination b/c that rarely ever worked ... the majority don't care (or will only pretend to care) ... we gotta be more strategic than that (lawsuits, law changes, etc) if we looking for substantial change. And also we don't work well enough together yet to officially change the narrative that's been the same for over 400 years

But I know many people don't like to be told the truth so of course no positive change will happen in their lives or the lives around them

Well, you got a problem with this approach. The conservatives don't want to help 80% of Jackson or JSU. So, you'll need to tell the mayor and city council to pucker up, and turn the airport and parts of Jackson over to the state as well.

ummmmm if you are not JSU why should you care. This is a JSU and State of Mississippi problem. Look how long it took for Alcorn to get lights. Valley went through hell to get a sprinkler system.

You answered your own question

People care (especially Alcorn and Valley) because it affects us all. We're all getting screwed by the current government with an eminent lawsuit coming down the road to get what's owed to us

Tried to tell some JSU people them people didn't care how hot they were with Deion. Still treated them like the rest of us

This is not the first time that a state government is hostile to a public HBCU and treated us differently than the PWIs. Lawsuits takes time and lawsuits on behalf of HBCUs are averaging at least 10 years going through the courts. The state of North Carolina did not build ECSU, a small HBCU in eastern NC, a stadium and ECSU had to privately raise the money for the whole cost of the stadium. For the longest time the stadium did not have a field house or a pave parking lot. What is concerning to me about the JSU situation is what happens if the state file emitted domain to force JSU out of the stadium so that the hospital can take over that area completely (or do something shady like how they got JSU to move from their original location, which was across the street from the Vet I believe - which is now the home a private PWI).

The damn governor publicly said he doesn't want JSU to have a stadium if it means taxpayers will be responsible for a portion of the funding.

https://hbcusports.com/2022/09/17/m...bout-jackson-state-building-football-stadium/
That is why voting is so crucial. Besides JSU football, what does the city of Jackson have to offer? Its foolish not to invest in one of the biggest cash cows in the city of Jackson. In addition, put the money back into the infrastructure of the city. Vote, Vote, Vote....

This is not the first time that a state government is hostile to a public HBCU and treated us differently than the PWIs. Lawsuits takes time and lawsuits on behalf of HBCUs are averaging at least 10 years going through the courts. The state of North Carolina did not build ECSU, a small HBCU in eastern NC, a stadium and ECSU had to privately raise the money for the whole cost of the stadium. For the longest time the stadium did not have a field house or a pave parking lot. What is concerning to me about the JSU situation is what happens if the state file emitted domain to force JSU out of the stadium so that the hospital can take over that area completely (or do something shady like how they got JSU to move from their original location, which was across the street from the Vet I believe - which is now the home a private PWI).

I don't think they'd need to use eminent domain since that's for private property and the schools (including UMMC) are state run. But, that would be extreme, even for MS. I would think that the courts would make the state compensate JSU for the loss in revenue and facilities.

I don't think they'd need to use eminent domain since that's for private property and the schools (including UMMC) are state run. But, that would be extreme, even for MS. I would think that the courts would make the state compensate JSU for the loss in revenue and facilities.
The state of Mississippi is the same state that force JSU to sell their original campus location and turn around and let a private PWI get that campus. It is the same state that brought in white farmers from South Africa to push out the black farmers in the state. I would not put anything pass that wick state government.

let’s turn Mississippi purple. Vote Brandon Presley for Governor of Mississippi. Vote Reeves out.

The state of Mississippi is the same state that force JSU to sell their original campus location and turn around and let a private PWI get that campus. It is the same state that brought in white farmers from South Africa to push out the black farmers in the state. I would not put anything pass that wick state government.
Wow!

Yes, Black folk in Mississippi, please go out and vote for Brandon Presley...It is time-out for all foolery in MS. JSU need their own stadium and the poor and needed, needs to be treated better than Reeves is treating them as governor. Black people wake up and vote for your best interest in the state of MS and everywhere.

I agree that folks in the Sip should vote Presley, however that’s not how government works. There’s still that thing called the legislature that controls ALL appropriations for the state. The Governor can submit a budget that includes his wish list but it’s the legislature that must approve it. Until we take elections serious at the local level we will never get what’s rightfully ours!

I agree that folks in the Sip should vote Presley, however that’s not how government works. There’s still that thing called the legislature that controls ALL appropriations for the state. The Governor can submit a budget that includes his wish list but it’s the legislature that must approve it. Until we take elections serious at the local level we will never get what’s rightfully ours!
Just so you’ll know the legislature was going to approve funds a stadium but the governor is the one who started the talk about its location should be downtown and all of that bull junk. The bill was in appropriations. They were constructing the language. Reeves wanted it downtown and jsu wanted it on campus. And that’s where negotiations started to fall apart. So having a democratic governor definitely adds another seat at the table when that comes back up 2024

Back