Whats the history behind "Glad To See You Again"?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Man.... forget the penis measuring stuff.

Somebody tell The JukeBox to play this right cheah PLEASE!!!!! :D

I've got SOOOO many 70s and 80s song ideas that would kill that I've sent our arrangers LOL I gave up on it.

Bruh, we've got to get them turned BACK on track where they need to be. I'm a funkologist so I've recommended quite a bit. But alas, no one bites. :( Hella' stuff that would have any stadium rocking.

That's why so many bands sound similar, because there's no variety in the music. Those uptempo songs with runs and melody would help to differentiate between styles.

I prefer Tn State version also..... I thought every band played it to start games. Ive been going to AAMU games over 35 years and always heard it played at the beginning of games.... basically thanking the crowd for coming to the game. I know every high school band in Alabama plays it.

I prefer Tn State version also..... I thought every band played it to start games. Ive been going to AAMU games over 35 years and always heard it played at the beginning of games.... basically thanking the crowd for coming to the game. I know every high school band in Alabama plays it.

most showstyle high school bands in GA play it as well

I recall hearing Shaw University [CIAA] playing the BarKays 'HOLY GHOST' and the arrangment was really on point. If I can find it, I'll post it in here....

;)

I'm biased LOL but I don't have definitive proof. I do know with how close TnSU and AAMU are in proximity, it could be either. Same way what we call TSU Funk is played by both.
The Ocean supposedly had and played it too. Herbert would know that. If they did I'm certain it was Butler who brought it. That song bewildered posted would sound great by the AoB imho.

Interesting Thread...I'm usually good at recalling any facts from AAMU games before the 1990s and from 1995 to the 2000s but I can't figure out when I first heard them play this. I want to say sometime in the late 80s.

Anyways, I've always long to hear any HBCU Band play Parliament's Big Bang Theory. Maybe they have and my mind wasn't on the band for the moment or I didn't recognize it. I've always felt that a good band director could really have fun with this--> View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIPmrXjlRU

Speaking of the Funk and George Clinton, I used to want AAMU to play Atomic Dog so so bad when I first heard it back in the day. But I understand. Not to say that Arthur Wesley and other were not capable but, in order to make some of these favorite funk songs sound right, the arranger simply has to know what he or she is doing. Shout out & much respect to the Jukebox though--> View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkkHFWhAuuo

Respect to Shaw University as well!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpxsUL0BnE

Last edited:
I'm biased LOL but I don't have definitive proof. I do know with how close TnSU and AAMU are in proximity, it could be either. Same way what we call TSU Funk is played by both.
@funkie junkie That Curtis Mayfield joint I just posted. After all this time, I just now did my research and see that TSU folks have claimed being the originators of what you all call "TSU Funk." They say that one of the Band Directors that used to arrange for Barry White created the song. I am not denying this at all or saying they are wrong. I just wanted to know if you could give me more info about what you know.

I can remember AAMU playing this as far back as 81 and then Bama State playing it in 82.

Anyways, I've always loved TSUs band. Much respect.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yep, that Mayfield bass line is the tuba part. From stories that I remember hearing are that it started as somewhat of a tuba fanfare, and different sections sort of on the fly added their parts around it until it became a complete song. After that was when sheet music was actually written. I will check with some older Crats for more details.

Back