What's the best rap/HH cut of all time?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
If you had to pick only one, what would you pick?

I'm torn between "The Message"/"Rapper's Delight", "Self Destruction", "Love's Gonna Getcha"(KRS-One) and "Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down".

Without question the most hyped I ever been hearing a rap/HH cut the first time was when I heard "Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down".

The rap/HH cut with the best message has to be "Self Destruction".

"Love's Gonna Getcha" and KRS-One is an alltime classic. used to be a great cut to get people's heads bobbin' at a house party. KRS-One is immortal.

"The Message" and "Rapper's Delight" are the (commercial) origins of rap/HH. (although Count Coolout brung heat too.)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Justin said:
Self Destruction, All in the Same Gang, Roller Skating jam (Saturday), and Buddy

Who did All in the Same Gang, Roller Skating Jam and Buddy? Gotta add to my collection.

According to The Source, "The Message" is the number 1 joint of all time.

My personal favorites:
"You Gots to Chill" EPMD
"Represent" Nas

Bartram said:
Who did All in the Same Gang, Roller Skating Jam and Buddy? Gotta add to my collection.
The West Coast All Stars and De La respectively for the last 2.

The entire "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" That album as a whole can not be FADED!!!!!!!

But I guess I would have to say "The Message"
That sounds better than 99.9% of the stuff thats out now.

"Broken glass everywhere, people p****** on the stairs you know that they just don't care, I can't stand the smell, I can't stand the noise, got no money so I ain't got no choice, Rats in the front room roaches in the back, junkies in the alley with the baseball bat, I tried to get away but I didn't get far because the man with the tow truck repossed my car.

Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge, I'm try in not to loose my head."

Boy, that's the you know what.

northern tiger said:
But I guess I would have to say "The Message"
That sounds better than 99.9% of the stuff thats out now.

You know, for years being from the south I was eager for rap/HH to go through the southern (or should I say non-east coast/west coast) phase. Well it finally got here,,, and i am sorely dissappointed. This mess out now days (it's not a totally southern genra granted) is horrible. It has gotten so bad that, where I used to listen to black radio stations 95% of the time and I would BLAST a city for not having a black radio station (errr "urban format" as they call it),, to now where I cringe when I hear a black radio station and automatically turn!!!

Even when I was in the Bay Area, I found myself listening to the alternative college campus stadiums that played vastly more rap/HH that I thought was extremely creative (instrumentation, beats, mixes, scratching, rhyms, rythms so on and so forth) as compared to the icon black radio stations with the exception of fridays during "hot mixes".

I'm just at a loss with today's rap/HH. There's nothing I am compelled to buy like in the 90s when I HAD to have artists then like TCQ, Black Sheep, KRS-One, Guruh. But yes,, perhaps it's a generational thing and my generation is finally on the way out! ey, next thing you know they gonna be glossing Ice Cube, Kausion, De La Soul, Mobb Deep, Black Moon nastaulgic old school (if not already)!

Too many to actually say I have one favorite, but "The Message" would probably be the number 1 song, because it's timeless. The song was made over 20 years ago, and it's message is still relevant. I look it like it's a hip hop "What's Going On".

If I had to chose a favorite, it would be "The Breaks" by Curtis Blow, because like "The Message" it's message is still relevant to this day, and it I still get my head nod on, when it's played.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Too many to actually say I have one favorite, but "The Message" would probably be the number 1 song, because it's timeless. The song was made over 20 years ago, and it's message is still relevant. I look it like it's a hip hop "What's Going On".

If I had to chose a favorite, it would be "The Breaks" by Curtis Blow, because like "The Message" it's message is still relevant to this day, and it I still get my head nod on, when it's played.

NICE

"head nod" is the world I was looking for. I can't get my head nod on to most of the stuff now days.

Back